| 
Error
  • Error loading feed data

Centuries-Old Shipwreck Discovered Off NC Coast Email

Friday, 17 July 2015 12:20
Last Updated on Friday, 17 July 2015 17:38

 

Scanning sonar from a scientific expedition has revealed the remains of a previously unknown shipwreck more than a mile deep off the North Carolina coast. Artifacts on the wreck indicate it might date to the American Revolution.

Marine scientists from Duke University, North Carolina State University and the University of Oregon discovered the wreck on July 12 during a research expedition aboard the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) research ship Atlantis.

They spotted the wreck while using WHOI’s robotic autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) Sentry and the manned submersible Alvin. The team had been searching for a mooring that was deployed on a previous research trip in the area in 2012.

Among the artifacts discovered amid the shipwreck’s broken remains are an iron chain, a pile of wooden ship timbers, red bricks (possibly from the ship cook’s hearth), glass bottles, an unglazed pottery jug, a metal compass, and another navigational instrument that might be an octant or sextant.

Read more: Centuries-Old Shipwreck Discovered Off NC Coast

UNESCO evaluates file galleon in INAC Email

Thursday, 09 July 2015 06:15
Last Updated on Monday, 13 July 2015 11:22

Jaramillo Ohigginis Arcia July 9, 2015

 

PANAMA CITY, PANAMA The technicians of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO, are already in the country of Panama to address the issue of the galleon San Jose with officials of the National Institute of Culture (INAC) .

This visit comes after the Convention on the Protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage by UNESCO would respond to a request he made last April INAC.

The Spanish ship sank in the archipelago of Las Perlas in the seventeenth century, but since 2003 the ship is covered by a contract of commercial exploitation by the company Marine Research Isthmus.

Openness Wilhelm, director of Heritage of INAC indicated that meetings with technicians began yesterday and will last until Friday morning.

According to the official, in Panama there are three representatives of the international organization, who evaluated the actions carried out during the work of identification, extraction and marketing of objects from the galleon.

The team also proposes a management plan for the conservation of the galleon and property from foundering.

Alfredo Castillero historians say the galleon San Jose must be recovered by the State, since it saves a lot of history. "It was irresponsible to give this concession, as these findings are of great importance," he said.

While Gassan Salama, one of the company representatives stressed that UNESCO is welcome provided it respects the Panamanian standards. "There is a contract and we have met the same at all times," he said.

This commercial firm has a concession from 2003, which states that 35% of the findings converts to the State and the rest to them.

Courtesy: LaPrensa

Read and Post Comments on TreasureWorks FORUMS

 

Journalist Paul Watson accuses Toronto Star of suppressing Franklin shipwreck story Email

Thursday, 09 July 2015 10:34
Last Updated on Thursday, 09 July 2015 10:42

By Colin Perkel

The Canadian Press

 

TORONTO – Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Paul Watson said Wednesday that he quit the country’s largest newspaper so he could get the truth out about last year’s successful search for Sir John Franklin’s lost ships in the Canadian Arctic.

In a blog post, Watson said he submitted his resignation at a meeting Tuesday in Vancouver with Toronto Star editors over “the newspaper’s refusal to publish a story of significant public interest,” an allegation the Star denied. 

Watson said resigning was the only way he could resume that reporting and fulfil his responsibilities as a journalist.

“My reporting is an attempt to give voice to federal civil servants and others involved in the gruelling, High Arctic search for British Royal Navy explorer Sir John Franklin’s lost ships, HMS Erebus and HMS Terror,” Watson wrote. 

“For months, these individuals have been angry at what they consider distorted and inaccurate accounts of last fall’s historic discovery of Erebus in the frigid waters of eastern Queen Maud Gulf.”

A “peripheral” member of the expedition, who he said has access to Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s office as well as editors at the Star, was the source of those accounts, he alleged. 

Watson did not respond immediately to a request for comment. However, he told the website Canadaland that the Star ordered him six weeks ago to stop reporting on the story — which he called a “gag order.” 

Read more: Journalist Paul Watson accuses Toronto Star of suppressing Franklin shipwreck story

Second 13th century Mongolian shipwreck found off Japan Email

Monday, 06 July 2015 10:07
Last Updated on Monday, 06 July 2015 10:21

A shipwreck found here is the second confirmed vessel from a 13th century Mongolian fleet that foundered in a typhoon in a failed attempt to invade Japan, researchers said July 2.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Archaeologists from the University of the Ryukyus and the Matsuura city board of education determined that the wreck was a part of the Mongolian invasion fleet partly based on its structure. Chinese ceramic wares dating from the 12th to 13th centuries were discovered in and around the wreck, backing up their conclusion, they said. The research team, which is surveying around the Takashima Kozaki underwater archaeological site, discovered the shipwreck last autumn around 200 meters off the southern coast of Takashima island and 15 meters below the surface. The remains of the ship measure 12 meters long and maximum 3 meters wide. The wreck was lying on the seabed apparently with its bow pointing southward.

Read more: Second 13th century Mongolian shipwreck found off Japan

Spain backs inclusion of galleon trade route to World Heritage List Email

Sunday, 05 July 2015 19:55
Last Updated on Sunday, 05 July 2015 20:52

By Manny Galvez (The Philippine Star)

BALER, Aurora, Philippines – The Spanish government is joining the Philippines and Mexico in pushing for the nomination of the route of the galleon trade to the World Heritage List.

Spanish Ambassador Luis Antonio Calvo said nominating the route of the galleon trade between Manila and Acapulco to the “Memory of the World” program of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is a way of acknowledging “the first steps in the long road to global trade.”

Read more: Spain backs inclusion of galleon trade route to World Heritage List

The Mystery of the Antikythera Shipwreck Further Unfolds Email

Tuesday, 23 June 2015 05:51
Last Updated on Tuesday, 23 June 2015 12:00

The Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities, in collaboration with the American Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, has completed the digital underwater surveying and dimensional precision display of the Shipwreck of Antikythera

 The Ephorate of Underwater Antiquities, in collaboration with the American Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, has completed the digital underwater surveying and dimensional precision display of the Shipwreck of Antikythera

 

Archaeologists now can put all the findings together and draw conclusions about the possible relationship between the two wreck positions. The detailed mapping creates a clearer picture of the relationship between the two sites, while the placement of the findings in the now imprinted area enhances the understanding of all the findings in the two positions.

The mapping was done by a specialized team of the University of Sydney using the autonomous underwater vehicle Sirius.

Resources for the investigation/excavation were provided by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, American, European and Greek organizations, to meet the needs in qualified technical and scientific personnel. The Catherine Laskaridis Foundation contributed greatly by offering the vessel that was used as the basis of the research team.

The Ephorate of Underwater Activities and its partners will continue research at the end of the summer season. The Antikythera shipwreck research is conducted on a five-year plan.

Courtesy: Greek Reporter

Archaeologists identify sunken 1681 Spanish shipwreck off Panamanian coast Email

Friday, 15 May 2015 10:51
Last Updated on Friday, 15 May 2015 10:51

More than three years after uncovering a shipwreck buried in the sand off the Caribbean coast of Panama near the mouth of the Chagres River, ongoing analysis and interpretation has led archaeologists to identify the shipwreck as Nuestra Señora de Encarnación. 

A colonial Spanish nao, or merchant ship, Encarnación was one of several ships that sank in 1681 when a storm engulfed the Tierra Firme fleet en route to Portobelo, Panama from Cartagena, Colombia. Frederick “Fritz” Hanselmann, research faculty and chief underwater archaeologist with The Meadows Center for Water and the Environment at Texas State University, leads the research team.

"This truly is an exciting and intriguing shipwreck," said Hanselmann. "The site basically consists of the entire lower portion of the ship’s hull and cargo in the hold, which includes a wide variety of artifacts: wooden barrels, over 100 wooden boxes containing sword blades, scissors, mule shoes, nails, ceramics, and other material culture, such as lead seals that are all that remain of perishable cargo."

Read more: Archaeologists identify sunken 1681 Spanish shipwreck off Panamanian coast

Shipwreck company suing state over 'treasure' linked to Blackbeard: $14M in contract dispute Email

Wednesday, 13 May 2015 11:52
Last Updated on Wednesday, 13 May 2015 11:52

RALEIGH, North Carolina — Nearly 300 years after the pirate Blackbeard's flagship sank off the North Carolina coast, a shipwreck-hunting company and the state are battling over treasure linked to the vessel — but they're fighting with legal filings, not cutlasses, and the treasure is $14 million in disputed revenue and contract violations.

The Florida-based company, Intersal Inc., found little loot when it discovered the Queen Anne's Revenge almost 20 years ago, but it eventually gained a contract for rights to photos and videos of the wreck and of the recovery, study and preservation of its historic artifacts.

The state, meanwhile, has created a tourist industry around Blackbeard and his ship since the vessel's discovery in 1996. That includes exhibits at the North Carolina Maritime Museum in Beaufort, which attracts about 300,000 visitors a year, according to the Queen Anne's Revenge website. The artifacts, such as a 2,000-pound cannon, also go on tour to other state museums. The state also posts photos and videos on websites and social media sites.

Read more: Shipwreck company suing state over 'treasure' linked to Blackbeard: $14M in contract dispute

INAC requests support for UNESCO Email

Monday, 13 April 2015 17:46
Last Updated on Monday, 13 April 2015 17:56

PANAMA: The director of the National Institute of Culture (INAC), Mariana Núñez, untied the current administration of the decisions made by the previous government in relation to the project 'identification, retrieval and rescue Galleon San Jose'.

Postcard used by UNESCO to promote the Convention on Underwater Cultural Heritage

Among the decisions taken during the management of María Eugenia Herrera (INAC) and Sandra Cerrud (National Directorate of History and DNPH Heritage), was granted a permit to the company Marine Research del Istmo SA (imdi) for rescue and sharing wreck of the galleon sunk in the Gulf of Panama in 1631, with the greatest treasure until then sent to Spain from the colonies.

Read more: INAC requests support for UNESCO

Archaeologists condemn National Geographic over claims of Honduran 'lost cities' Email

Thursday, 12 March 2015 22:13
Last Updated on Thursday, 12 March 2015 22:13

More than two dozen archaeologists and anthropologists have written an open letter of protest against the “sensationalisation” of their fields, with one accusing National Geographic of reverting to “a colonialist discourse” in announcing researchers had found two city-like sites in the deep jungles of Honduras.

They also say National Geographic has ignored decades of research that suggests Honduras was home to a vibrant chain of kingless societies, which merged qualities of the Maya to the north with other people’s less stratified, more equal cultures.

The scholars criticize National Geographic and the media for what they describe as the aggrandizement of a single expedition at the expense of years of research by scientists and decades of support from indigenous people of the dense rainforests in Honduras’ Mosquitia region.

John Hoopes, a signatory and professor of anthropology at the University of Kansas, said that National Geographic had shown “a disrespect for indigenous knowledge”. The expedition was co-coordinated by two American film-makers, National Geographic and Honduras’ national institute of anthropology.

Read more: Archaeologists condemn National Geographic over claims of Honduran 'lost cities'