Welcome, Guest
(140 Viewing)  (140) Guest

TOPIC: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2670

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 316
Ahoy All,
It is Friday, July 8, 2011, The weather is kind of crappy and there are whitecaps and waves rolloing along the boat as we swing on anchor. Sherene is still having trouble with her breathig and her heart is beating a bit to fast. Her medications seem to be having trouble keeping things under cotrol. She is on the phone now making an appointment with her cardiolgist. We'll go as soon as we find out when it is.

We stopped at Comfortably Numb's (Jeff & Ellen's) home on the way back here and were surprised to find Aquanut (John) and his wife Debbie and Salvor6 (Pete) at the house. John and Jeff were replacing an axle on John's pontoon boat trailer. I jumped in and gave what help I could and we loaded the boat back on the trailer. The next morning we went treasure diving at an undisclosed location and found no treasure but had a geat tme not finding it. :laugh: That evening we went out to a local anchorage and picnic area and cooked out on a grill (Jeff did the cooking) and watched a very impressive fireworks display. We all returned home exausted and the oher all were makng plans to try another site inthe morning. We were moving on to our next stop at Del Winders the next day.

We left for Dell's on Sunday morning. After a three hour drive we arrived to find that Trudy, Dell's wife, had a very nice lunch waiting for us. I got to tak treasure and many other subjects with Dell and his friend Ed. (my keyboard is sticking and mising letters, lease bear wit me. I have spent moe time crretiong istakes han tpng) (that is what comes out uncorrected) Bummer! Anyhow, Thanks for a great time Dell & Trudy! Sherene has finished the book and we'll bring it up when we come up to work on the boat.

Anyhow, back to life on the hook and our little storm filled day. I guess the humidity is what is causing this thing to react so badly today. It is raining very heavily again. Even the other boats are not visible just a few hundred feet away. We just sat here and watched the shuttle launch. How's that for something to do on a rainy day aboard?
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

We got back to Sarasota in time to see the fireworks here from aboard our boat. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by WhiteFeather.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2671

• Au_Dreamers
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 3
White Feather,
Hope you and Sherene get her some relief. Maybe her meds need an adjustment..

Well it sure sounds like you HAVE been finding treasure mate!!! ;)

If I can ever get the North Carolina "adventures" to end then I'll be able to start back on my Florida ones!

Best wishes for the two of you!

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2674

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Au_Dreamers, she has an appointment with her doctor on Monday. We always keep both eyes on blood pressure and heart rate. Thanks for the well wishes.

We are just kicking back and relaxing today. Lots more rain forcast for this evening and tomorrow. When you live on the water you just adapt and take it in stride. If it's raining you stand under the cabin overhang to cook on the grill or stay inside and use the galley stove. Of corse there's always sushi! :laugh:

If I had my choice I would never live on dirt again. I'd rather put up with the hauling water, groceries and whatever we need out to the boat and have the freedom of cruising wherever we want than be tied to a house again. As soon as the market improves we will sell our house in Fountain, Florida. Meantime we have a young family living there and hope to help them buy it.

The wind has died down for a short while so I am going to go topside and check things out. Maybe throw a chunk of dead critter on the grill. Yum! Taters and critter, awesome! :laugh:

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2694

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Just got back from the cardiologist. Sherene has to go in for another stress test next Thursday. Breathing problems persist along with palipatations and blood pressure issues. We have to wait and see what the tests show before making any more plans or traveling. We are anchored out but I am looking for a marina that we can afford. The numbers here have been redicules. We even looked into getting the boat hauled out but the cost is again prohibitive.

One of our daughters is planning on a trip down next week sometime. She couldn't stand the boat we got married on because it moved. That boat was about 100 feet long. Ours is 57 and we get some very interesting wakes from time to time. I can not wait to see what happens when she feels the boat on a 25 degree tilt. :laugh: Ya Hoooooo! :woohoo:

I had to get a new battery for this laptop. $110 Bucks! Now I am having trouble getting it to charge. I had to bring it ashore to plug into a real power source. My genset must be slacking off. I think the frequency of the wavelength is fluxuating or disintegrating. Anyhow, the computer will not charge out on the boat. Even the 12 volt connection was not working. Any suggestions? Here at the restaurant with a cup of coffee it is working and charging just fine. ????? :side:

I had best get going and get our dinner steaks on the grill.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2695

• BigDRN
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi guys,

The issue with your generator is often times due to a "dirty" signal. Generators - especially inexpensive ones and old ones - often do not have quality components and therefore do not put out a quality signal. Some actually use an inverter that produces a modified square wave instead of a true sine wave. These will mess with equipment for sure. You may want to try a power conditioner. These reduce and eliminate noise and improve signal quality. You will probably need one that reduces by 40 - 60db. Also you will have to add up the amount of power that you consume and get a conditioner to fit. With money being tight, perhaps one of your Florida buddies could lend you one to try?

As an additional note - for Sherene's benefit - please try to keep in mind the simple things that a person needs to be healthy. Sometimes we overlook the most obvious. For instance, the body needs certain vitamins and minerals to help support the immune system and to regulate body functions including the beating of the heart and blood pressure. Make sure that she maintains a balanced diet and talk to her doctor about taking a multi vitamin daily. Salt, potassium, magnesium and calcium play huge parts in muscle contraction as well as blood pressure regulation. Drinking too much water (water intoxication) or too little, prescribed medications, heat regulation, etc all play a part. Even a tiny unnoticeable urinary tract infection can throw things so out of wack that blood sugar and pressure become uncontrollable. Basically make sure that you are giving your body what it needs to help itself - and moderate the fun stuff.

We are glad to have you back here - so welcome home!

Dave

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2696

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Thanks for all the great support info. We already keep a close eye on all the above. Sherene's main problem is that her family genes came from a K-Mart, blue light special along with those from the rest of her family. She is the youngest of 8 and ALL of them have had heart, stroke and blood pressure problems. You might say it's a family trait.

The generator problem was an easy fix. The idle adjustment lock had gradually backed off so slowly that we didn't notice the slower running RPM's. It just took a little adjustment to bring the voltage back up where it belonged. Sometimes the simplest problem can be cured with the simplest solution. In this case it was just a few turns with a phillips screwdriver and tighten the locknut. I think the low voltage was the clue. 85.6 volts that increased when I reved the engine indicated an easy fix. It's about time that something went the easy way.But, thanks for the pointers. They may come in handy when I tackle the main generator. It's a wonder that anything ran at all. The A/C's are doing much better as is the microwave and battery chargers. Suddenly we have power back at 119.6 volts. That's close enough for me. :woohoo: The A/C's are pulling the temprature down nicely now.

I have to go under the boat soon and remove our collection of sealife. It's getting pretty heavly overgrown. Living aboard is a neverending battle for control that never comes. I came back from the store and the dink was high and dry. That's when I noticed the growth on the bottom of it. A quick check under the big boat was scarry. Twin hulls, 50 plus feet long with a collection that make it look like a reef. Bummer! Oh well, back to whatever it is that I do between working on the boat and working on the boat. :laugh:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2700

• Terry Soloman
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Life is always a trade off between pleasure and pain, gain and loss. If we are lucky, very, very lucky, we will know love, feel joy, experience happiness. Sounds to me like you are both very lucky people.

Praying for you - Terry

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2744

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Ahoy Everyone,
Sherene has had a serious setback with her breathing problems and heart rate due to the heat and strain of travel, living on the hook and constantly being hit with really bad wakes from large yachts going in and out of the nearby marina. She has moved to her daughter's and it looks like we are going to have to sell the boat. She can not handle the heat out on anchor, the constant rough wakes and, due to running back and forth to Baltimore and Pensacola, we can not afford to put the boat in a marina at this time. I have to stay with the boat or risk having it vandalized, stolen or stripped. I am having trouble keeping up with the maintenance due to the size of the boat and the work involved in it's upkeep. The marinas here are asking really high prices that are way past reasonable. Even beyond what would be considered over pirced. Aside from that they want only Yuppy Yachts. An old workhorse like this would not be welcome in a Yuppyyacht yard. To old and in need of paint and pretty stuff. Yesterday one of the huge Yuppy Yachts blew by here and hit me with a wake that ripped two 15 gallon water cans loose and nearly pulled the topside stantion rail off the boat. That's on my list of things to fix today. I wish we had a drivers license for owning a boat. These idiots buy a boat and have no comprehension of the damage a wake can do 10 minutes after they fly by without knowing they are cutting through an anchorage and idle speed only area. I had things go flying that have set where they were for 2 & 1/2 years. Even the wakes from when we were in the ICW were nothing compared to yesterdays tsunami that rolled through here. Plus it hit me from the side. I was thrown across the cabin before I even knew it was coming. Ahh the joys of having idiots with huge boats in the neighborhood.

I had to start my generator this morning to charge up the main batteries. It seems that something went wrong with the water pump and it run all night and ran the batteries down. I didn't hear it running because it is at the other end of the boat. I have a backup pump in my parts locker so I'll replace it later today. It may be a broken or leaking line or the pump may have something caught in the internal valves and just keep running trying to bring the water pressure up on the system. I just turned it off for now and I am going to go over to the local island anchorage area and do a little metal detecting with my Surfmaster for a while and forget all about idiots with big cruisers and very little brains.

I'll think about selling the boat for a bit before making any rash moves. I know we will recover from the money situation but the medical problems may be a bit harder to overcome. In spite of these idiots I like living aboard and sitting out on anchor. Maybe I will just trade down to something smaller and let someone younger with more financial ability have this. I just don't know yet.

Sorry I was not responding for the past week or so. I'll try to do better and get this situation under control.

I think I'll go make some lemonaid. Anybody want a glass? Arrgh Wench, where's me Grog Bottle?

Attachments:

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2745

• 1BootySeeker
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 1
Sounds like you are having your mettle tested with everything happening at once... I feel for you and wish you both the best and hope everything turns out to your satisfaction. Hang in there my friend.....

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2753

Sorry to hear this. But we must take care of the most important treasure in our lives, all the adventure, gold and silver we can find cant replace the ones we love. Protect that treasure above all else. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.
To Swim Is Human, To Dive Is SUBLIME
To bag a bug in total darkness . . . . is just the next step.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2755

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 134
White Feather, I echo LobsterPirat's comments, and wish you and your lovely wife Sherene all the best.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2762

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Thanks Guys, We appreciate all the good wishes and prayers.

:huh: Yesterday afternoon I noticed that the battery charger was very hot. When I began investigating I found that the batteries were way down. I cut off the perko switch and changed over to my backup set only to find that they would not pull the load either. Something in the boat is draining the batteries and creating a very heavy power drain. I shut down the entire power system and disconnected the batteries for the night. I'm going to get on finding the problem in a few minutes as it is finally getting light. I guess the waterpump was not the culprit of yesterday morning's power loss..

Ugggh, what is that bright thing in the sky lighting up the world. It must be some kind of heater that was left on. It's gonna be another real hot day.

Oh yeah, I replaced the stantion bases and repaired the deck from the wake damage. Now I have to do a little painting so the repairs match the old deck. This big boat stuff is a real job. I may have to hire some help if I am ever going to catch up on the work and repairs. THAT'S THE TICKET, HIRE A HEARD OF NAKED DANCING GIRLS TO HELP OUT. :woohoo: I won't get much done but then I won't care either. Volenteers, volenteers who is ready? :laugh:

Well, the coffe has run out and I best not make another pot so I guess it's time to get busy. Yup, it's 7:15 or there about. Work is calling. :laugh:

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2766

• Dell Winders
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 26
I wish I could be there to help along with the dancing girls, but getting up before 10:00 AM, Ugh! I don't think I could every go back to doing that again.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Dell

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2784

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) NOT FAIR, DELL. YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR PRETTY DANCING GIRL. I KNOW, YOU CAN'T FOOL ME, BUDDY. REMEMBER, YOUR DANCING GIRL GAVE SHERENE THAT DANCING GIRL OUTFIT. I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE FACT THAT SHE DIDN'T GIVE HER A TOP TO GO WITH IT. i LIKE WATCHING HER PRACTICE MAKING THOSE LITTLE DANGLING THINGYS DANGLE AND SHAKE. I WOULD POST A PICTURE OF HER DANCING IN IT BUT IT WOULD GET ME THROWN OFF WORKS. :laugh: WATCH HIM TRUDY! :laugh: :woohoo:

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2787

• Dell Winders
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 26
You seem to be back in rare form today. Trudy says HI.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Dell Winders.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 11 months ago #2793

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) That's the thing about getting down. You might get me down but I ain't staying down. I gotta remember to tell that to Sherene. :laugh: :woohoo:

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 10 months ago #2831

• JOMA
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Russell,
I though this post appropriate after your last post about not being kept down.

I have never met you but have read many of your posts on many boards across the internet. I wish maybe someday I may have the chance to meet both you and Sherene.
I try to make it a point every day to inspire others and be around others who inspire me. You have done this for me from a distance. I am sorry to see you going through a rough patch right now but things will get better.
This poem and its back story came to me from my school days a professor made us memorize it and recite it the last day of his class or no pass class. He said we will use this poem more in life than any other thing he could possibly teach us.
This poem so reminded me of you and your spirit. It is authored by Ernest William Henley and it is about the indomitable human spirit.
As a matter of fact his good friend Robert Louis Stevenson used Henley as the model for the pirate Long John Sliver in Treasure Island.
I though what a fitting post for this board and what a fitting poem and poet for you, a pirate at heart.
Look up Henley at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Ernest_Henley. He met life head on and on his own terms .
The Poem is invictus (Latin for unconquered)

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Respectfully,

Your online friend Russ :) :)

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 10 months ago #2837

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:blush: Well I thank you for the compliments although I am doing nothing more than many other people who get hit with life's ups and downs. I have read all the authors you speak of and many more of the classics. Hemmingway and Poe are also amoung many that I read over and over. I like the poem and will print it out and put it up in the boat.

A lot of people never get farther than reading about adventures and miss a whole lot of life. Afraid to go out and do something because this or that may happen and cause trouble or create something they can not deal with. That's wrong. I often have people say that "When I retire I am going to get a boat and do what you are doing." Or they will say they want to search for treasure, sail the world, climb a mountain. I always answer the same way. "If there is something you really want to do, do it now! You have no guarantees that you will live until you retire. There are people out there on the oceans, rivers, lakes and anywhere you can have a dream about going without even considering the consequences of "what if".

My Dad was going to take Mom on a cruise around the world when he retired. He died two months before he retired. Mom is now fighting pancreatic cancer. It's incurable and she may be counting days or weeks before she joins him. I was talking with her two days ago and we got on the subject of the end being so close. Her answer was, "I've had nearly 85 years. Some great and some not so great. I have lived to see man walk on the moon and a thousand other things. I have six children and grandchildren and many great grand children and even great great Grandchildren. Daddy has been waiting for me for 31 years and it's time I joined him and Sonny and Connie. (Connie is my sister and Sonny my brother who died at 2 1/2) I am not worried over what I didn't do, I have the memories of everything that I have lived to see. The Lord has always answered my prayers. This time the answer is no. So, it's time for me to join him and I have no regrets."

I'm going to miss her as much as I miss my Dad and Connie. I didn't know Sonny as I was only about 6 when he died and that was over 60 years ago. Connie was my best friend aside from being my baby sister. She has only been gone about 7 years, or was it yesterday? You know what I mean.

We all get dealt life's blows and sometimes they hurt really bad. But we can not dwell on it. It's not disrespectful to get up and move on when we lose someone close. That's what they would want if they also loved you. When I go I want to leave some money so all my friends can anchor out someplace and party until every cent is gone. One big party to celebrate life and those things we all do that makes us each an individual capable of anything. Party Hearty my friends, I had a great time! Tell each other those silly stories about things I did and things I really screwed up. When the party is over they can scatter my ashes across the water behind the boats and know that every time they pass that spot I will be expecting them to pour me a grog over the side as they go by.

I appreciate it if I am able to inspire someone to do more, better or attempt something bigger than they would have. We all fall short of what we expect of ourselves but we should never quit trying.

See I didn't quit and i got the dink fixed. That must be worth something. I think I'll have a Grog. Yo Wench, where's Me Grog? I yells as I ducks the flying debris......

My Mom! This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 10 months ago #2840

• JOMA
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Thanks for the kind reply and the picture of your Mom.

Now on to a lighter note. Did you get your GROG and are you injured in any way!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 6 years 10 months ago #2842

• comfortably numb
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Russell,
Having lost many loved ones, Including my son. What you just wrote is Beautiful! You are an inspiration to us all!
Jeff
"Does anyone know where the love of god goes, When the waves turn the minutes to hours"
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate