Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(138 Viewing)  (138) Guest

TOPIC: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 1 week ago #18786

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 291
B) I have arrived home safe and wet. :lol: This turned into a totally unexpected adventure. I was under the impression that the Keys had already been repaired to the point of having water and power. Living aboard a boat like we did for many years is always a little better than living on land when something like this hurricane is concerned. You normally still have lights on battery power, water with water pressure from your onboard pumps and food preparation and storage tools like your stove and fridge and even have a useable bathroom and toilet. Not so when the boat is as damaged as bad Keith's was. When we first got there the boat looked like someone had rolled it over and filled it with everything you could imagine. Keith had been living aboard for many years and the boat was relying on dock power and water and the dock for access to other services. The boat was severely damaged and none of the internal systems worked. Basically what we had when we first got there was the boat. It took a lot of work to just get it organized to the point of having water and an extension cord run to the Taxi company office located about 200 feet from the dock.

There were only three boats still floating when we arrived. Only Keith's was to be occupied the entire time I was there. The other boats were either being broken up and hauled away or they were left and abandoned. We were roughing it because the single light weight extension cord would not support more than a couple of fans and a couple of lights. The heat and humidity was very bothersome at first but I quickly acclimated to it and had very little problems with it. All of the boat's internal systems had long since been changed over to shore power which made the boat susceptible to the loss of power. It could not be relied on like a boat and was more like a floating house.

Keith had already been working very hard before I got there. I don't think I was as much help as I could have been if I was in better health but I did the best I could. While I was there we did manage to get the boat fixed up a bit and raised I.R. Baboon off the bottom and cleaned it out and got the engine running, I also changed the transmission fluid and cleaned out the fuel tank. Once the bunk mattress is dried out and can go back inside the boat it will look as good as new. It is ready for me to drive it home when I get back down there in a few weeks. I am looking forward to that trip already. 3 or 4 days just slowly cruising up the west coast of Florida while fishing, diving and exploring the region.

Okay, The marina has been reduced to literally no services and very little dock space. Keith's boat is the only boat with power and water at the dock and the only one left with someone living aboard. The day before I left we managed to get 220 power run to the hookup for Keith's boat. His boat now has power and water. Now the hot water heater, the stove, the A/C and all other systems are working again. No more roughing it! Now the hot water heater works along with every other system aboard.

Okay I know several of you have been requesting photos and information on what went on over the past two weeks. First off, I will have to go back down as soon as I can to get I. R .Baboon home. I am thinking of either trailering it or driving it. I would much rather drive it up but, depending on several options I may have to wait to see what is going to happen. I had an offer to fly down to recover the boat by one of my friends here that has a private plane and is flying down this month. I don't know if I can be ready that fast. I'll just have to wait and see.

When I first got there almost all of the streets were lined with trash and debris that was often as high as 20 feet. Our marina's damage was very high and often a problem getting over or around.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Even when we towed Baboon in we found another boat under the spot where Keith used to keep Baboon.

All of the work involved was quite labor intensive. There is still much to do but I have prior projects that I need to get back to. I have to finish off all of the work and get the shop off my back.

Here is another view of the marina that I took right after arriving there.

Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by WhiteFeather.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dell Winders

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 1 week ago #18787

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 117
Suzieq got back a couple days ago and sent me 30 pictures. The amount of damage is incredible and it looks like it will be
at least 6 months before everything is back to normal.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 1 week ago #18788

• seeker41
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 23
Good to read that you are back
......Flying down and cruising back up sounds like a great option.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 1 week ago #18789

• seeker41
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 23
.....anyone been up to check on dell?

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 1 week ago #18790

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 74
Not for a while. It appears I'm the only one now. Trouble is I'm running off about the same amount of money Dell is...

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 1 week ago #18801

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:( I am having a problem with the computer again. I just spent an hour working on photos and some of the happenings of the past two weeks and wiped it all out without even being aware of it. I'll try this again......

When I left home two weeks ago I met Keith at the truck stop at the Miami end of Alligator Alley. He had been up to Miami to get his skiff and tools that he put there before the hurricane. We went down to Stock Island to where his houseboat was docked. The place looked like it had been terrorized and blown up. Trash and debris was stacked up all over the Keys from the causeway all the way down to Key West. In the marina where Keith was had been trashed like it had been hit by more than a couple of tornados. Most of the docks were ripped out, sunk or had what was left of many of the boats trashed on them.

Most of the water and power were destroyed to the point that the talk was to rip the rest out and not rebuild them. They were talking about removing the remaining docks and using the concrete parking lot edge for the replacement after running new power and water. When I was leaving they were tearing out the wooden parts of the damaged docks. That beautiful trawler was crushed up by a backhoe and loaded into a dumpster. What a waste...20 or30 years ago I would have jumped at the chance of recovering and restoring it. The thing that sunk it was a small hole in the hull that I could have repaired. The engine was also restorable as was the Westerbeak diesel generator.

A few days after I arrived we went out to get the boat that Keith was going to sell to me. When we got out there the boat was sitting on the bottom on a shoal in about 5 to 6 feet of water. The water was over the engine but seeing that it was a good running Westerbeake engine I was still interested in getting it. Keith said that he would help me get it back up and pay for whatever it needed to get it ready to cruise up the coast to the Manatee River and he was giving it to me. That was something I didn't expect. Like I said, I was going to buy it no matter what the cost and Keith knew it. Keith and I have been more like brothers than just friends for right around 35 years or so.

Anyhow, this was the scene that greeted us when we pulled up on the boat.

I will have to work on this a little at a time. The time and amount of work we spent on the two week trip is quite exhaustive and time consuming but I will do the best I can. To put it all in this one post would be way to long. I'll just try to keep adding a post or two whenever I can.

On to today's work....Meanwhile; back at the shop..........

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 1 week ago #18802

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Saturday, October 7th, yesterday....

I went to work in the shop with the intention of finishing the Mustang and two other jobs as fast as I can so I can take a few days and go down to Stock Island to bring I. R. Baboon up to the Manatee River in two weeks or there about.

The Mustang......I did some work on it and it is looking good. Next I have to let the paint cure for a few days and start wet sanding this coat. Here is what I got done yesterday.....

Today I left it sit so the paint can do a little curing. It still needs a lot of work and paintwork. The convertible top is still going to be an issue when I get the paint to the point where I can start reassembling the car. I have been working alone on this job and all of the health issues I have gone through have turned this into a marathon job. I will get it done in the next week or two and get on to heading down and driving the boat home.

Okay, it's time to start getting the bird ready for bed.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 1 week ago #18804

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
Russ it looks like the Mustang still has a lot of work to go before it's finished. Is that big Bertram still parked at the shop?

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 6 days ago #18808

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
No but the big Hatteras is. :laugh: I am concentrating on one job at a time and want to get all 3 finished as fast as I can. Today I am hoping the paint has cured enough to wet sand the car and possibly run another coat of color and flake on it. It's time to get moving...... :woohoo:

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 6 days ago #18809

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
OK, Hatteras.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 6 days ago #18811

• sailing dutchman
  • Treasure Hobbyist
  • Thank you received: 5
B) B) B) Here It is folks the intro to White Feather on Youtube Please share with all your friends B) B) B)

SOON SOON SOON !!!!

Please give us a Lkie and Subscribe

Facebook www.facebook.com/White-Feather-Treasure-Hunter-1982590152017551/

Web site coming soon !! Whitefeathertreasurehunter.com

I will put links soon to gofund me and patpal so you all can support us!!!
Last Edit: 2 months 6 days ago by sailing dutchman. Reason: Video was removed

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 5 days ago #18812

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Yesterday I managed to get the Mustang wet sanded. Iy only needs a few small blemishes repaired or touched up and the car is ready for the clear coats. These new paints have been a nightmare to work with and will not give me the effects that I want but with some persistence and experimentation I have reached an outcome that I am satisfied with. The overall paintjob and bodywork is very good and should last for many years. Depending on how these new paints withstand the weather and south Florida sun. Red is the most noted paint for fading but the clear coat is supposed to contain some sort of fade resistant additive to protect against fading.

It's about 7 A.M. and I had best get moving and head for the shop. I want to get done with those little touch ups and get this job out of the shop before something happens and I wind up going into chemo or surgery again. It seems like that happens every time I get back on my feet and start feeling good. I am anxious to get everything out of the shop and start looking for that long lost treasure that everyone keeps telling me is out there waiting for me to find it. :woohoo:

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 5 days ago #18813

• thetigers2
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 42
Were with you ,Russ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: WhiteFeather

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 5 days ago #18814

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
Ya Russ, I posted on your facebook page. Good luck and if you need a dive buddy, call me.
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by Salvor6.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 5 days ago #18815

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Today was touch up time for the Mustang. I got all of the red and silver retouched and put the car back in the shop. I had it outside and kept touching and messing with it. I knew I would mess it up or leave a finger print on it and have to sand it again so I figured the best thing for me was to get away from it. I am so anxious to get it done that I want to keep working even though I know it will take at least overnight to cure the paint before I can start the clear and more metal flake. No patience what so ever.

I am getting everything I can out of the shop and into my new storage unit. I want out of the shop as soon as possible. I am biting at the bit to get started diving and chasing treasure.

I started a blog for treasure diving for the average person with the help of a friend. It is listed on Face book under "White Feather Treasure Hunter". I didn't actually start the page, my brother's ranch hand did. It is going to follow my cruises and treasure hunting, diving, snorkeling, fishing and any other travel or related adventures once I get the shop closed and get the little boat ready to cruise and enjoy the life I love out on the water. I am still going to keep up on here and keep in touch with all of my friends on TreasureWorks. That won't change. The Face Book thing was Robbert's idea and he thinks we can not only generate interest but also get help and possible financial help, sell things and stories, videos and that sort of thing. I hope he is right. I am computer stupid when it comes to making money and such online. He was trying to explain it to me but that is like teaching calculus to a monkey. It got him nowhere. He stopped by with a camera and shot a short question and answer session with me answering the questions. I didn't think it was any good but he already tried to post it on the site. I had him take it down because he had some facts wrong and the grammar was somewhat less than I would accept. I am not going to be doing actual treasure diving. I don't have the equipment or money to do that sort of thing and don't expect to. I am just looking to show that the average person, using a little Imagination and creative ideas, can do almost anything. That includes raising funds to actually get out on the water and search for treasure for fun and profit. I may never find a thing but it has always been about the hunt and being with friends during the actual treasure hunting process. I also want to show that no matter how bad you think your health is that you can still do anything you set your mind on. You can get anything you want with hard work and persistence.

I could go on and on about the adventures and great times I have had living aboard and traveling all over the U.S.A., Mexico, Belize, Canada and dozens of other countries.. I went from not having a boat to having several really impressive boats. I have said I can start with nothing and, inside of a year, I could have a nice boat and be ready to travel, dive and fish anywhere I want to go. I really believe that this can be done by anyone at all if you really want to do it. I have done exactly that many times over and this blog is going to show that it isn't just a bunch of hype and BS. I hope it will give people the incentive to get off the couch, to quit making excuses about not being able to do the things they want to do and give them the reasons to become the adventurous person they are capable of being. I have had injuries that would have stopped many people right in their tracks but here I am still working a little shop 10 to 12 hours a day, every day. I get up and head out to the shop no matter how I feel. I have a friend in a wheel chair that does the same thing. I admire his tenacity and courage. He is also a cancer survivor. I suppose you have to really be near loosing everything, even your life, in order to see how much losing everything really means.

Sorry Y'All, I just can't stand giving up or giving in when the real answer is to stand and fight for what is important to you. I went through 3 combat tours in Vietnam because I believed in what we were doing. Right or wrong I felt it was the right thing to do and I stood up for that belief. Was I scared? You better believe I was. Every day I stood the chance of giving up my life for that belief because I felt it was right. This cancer is scary. Mainly because it is unseen and can kill in very short order and I have no chance of being in charge of the possible outcome. I have no way to combat it other than to do what the doctors say and hope that they are right. That is scary. It takes courage to trust in a doctor that has nothing to lose if he is wrong. I still have a lot of things I want to do and working at the shop is getting in the way. I would give the shop away along with all of the equipment, parts, jobs and tools if I thought they were serious and would want to work it and have something like this. I was going to leave it and all of my tools to my son but his death ended that and my two grown grandsons are not interested. One is in the Marines and the other is living in Washington state. Besides, I don't know of anyone who would work like I do to have it. I would have to trust whomever I gave it to, to keep my word to current customers about the work still in the shop. That would be a hard thing to be sure of.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dell Winders, thetigers2

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 5 days ago #18816

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) I'll take you up on that, Pete.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 4 days ago #18817

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 22
BELIEVE IT OR NOT ,

I wouldn't post any vid's showing you finding the SHINY stuff,
what the gov want's the gov will take ! and they DO monitor face book ! :evil:

I had a conversation with a friend out of country, and another one with dhs a week later, left FB that afternoon,
found a decent VPN and OTHER security-info to CYA, and have had no problems since,

just some friendly advice, :dry:
IN ORDER TO SUCCEED ACT AS IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FAIL !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sailing dutchman

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 4 days ago #18819

• sailing dutchman
  • Treasure Hobbyist
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm on top of that and the definition of treasure varies it could be iPhones watches rings necklaces treasure has a very big definition

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 4 days ago #18820

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Not to worry, my Friend. Treasure Hunting like the big boys do it requires a lot of money, equipment and various permits that I have no way to acquire. Getting permits to search areas like the treasure coast are impossible to get. Even getting to search those areas under someone else's permit's is impossible. Those people protect and keep their search areas close to the vest and would not allow outsiders to work under their authority. Our treasure hunting is going to be much less real treasure hunting and more diving, snorkeling, fishing and exploring places and things the average person would encounter in everyday cruising like I have been doing for the past 40 or 50 years. I can not afford to go out and search for the 1715 treasure fleet's still missing ships and wouldn't even consider anything like that. If, in my travels, I happened to stumble onto something considered treasure or genuine artifacts with historic value all I would do is alert the proper state or federal people of the find and let them take it from there. I would be just as happy to see one of the big treasure hunters to do the actual recovery and just receive credit or whatever the recovery reward would be. Even if it was just the mention that I stumbled across it. If I was to want to get into it as a genuine treasure hunter I would approach one of the big verified, established hunters with my suspected find and let them have it under their method of recovery. I am not stupid enough to broadcast a real pirate treasure hunt or infringe on someone's established and permitted search area. There are areas where anyone can dive, snorkel and explore without breaking any laws. This is the type of thing I am looking into doing. I have been a diver since 1959 and have managed to keep out of trouble doing what I love so far. I am not about to get crazy now. Just take this adventure for what it is, just a fun time diving, snorkeling, fishing and cruising the way I have done for many years. Just chill out and enjoy the ride. It can be fun and even a little exciting as I travel and do the things I have loved doing for the past 50 years or so. Have fun and just go with the flow. :woohoo: :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sailing dutchman

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 2 months 3 days ago #18821

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
Hey Russ, yes I still have the blower. I'll save it for you.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate