Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(73 Viewing)  (73) Guest

TOPIC: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 4 days ago #18878

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 16
Hey Russ....try these forums for information/owner's manuals and stuff.
www.samsmarine.com/forums/

www.hatteras1510club.com/special-page/club-information
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 4 days ago #18879

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 13
Ok, I am sure I can get them running quickly. Don't crank the engine with the raw water pump belt on out of the water. Also if it doesn't start right up, don't keep cranking or you will have to pay someone $250 to rebuild the starter plus lug that 50 lb. thing around. They will get ruined quickly. I can get it running pretty quickly I am sure, that is what I did before the fire dept. Fuel problem hopefully. If it ran before then the fuel timing should be fine. Fuel pumped up to the injection pump is all it needs, as long as the fuel shutoff solenoid is working. If it is running but rough, could be an injector. I'll look at it when I get over there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WhiteFeather

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 4 days ago #18880

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
I have all the service manuals and parts blow ups manuals too. But like I said I can get it running I my sleep. No problem.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 4 days ago #18881

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
And if you do start it don't run it for more than a few seconds or you will burn up the rubber elbows on the exhaust.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 3 days ago #18882

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Russ, I am going to tell you a good tip. Cut your fuel hose going from your Racor into the engine fuel filter. Do it near the racor. Find out what size ID it is and get a bulb type fuel pump, like on an outboard, that will fit tight in the hose. Put screw type hose clamps on it. You can pump your fuel much better than the push type pump on the engine fuel filter. And bleed lines etc. you can do this on diesels up to 350 horsepower after that it suck the bulb tight. Leave it there for the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WhiteFeather, thetigers2, ropesfish

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 days ago #18883

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 286
B) Great Steve, I just made the agreement to buy the boat and the paperwork is being drawn up. I am going to need to get the bottom painted and drop it in the water before doing any work on it for the time bring. Money is going to be quite tight until I get the shop closed. I didn't take the trailer with it because the boat is not trailerable. It is to wide and would require permits to move it anywhere. To wide, to high and to heavy for my truck. So I am going to get to work lifting it up so I can cover the trailer with tarps to keep from getting paint all over the trailer. I didn't think I would need another $8,000 to $10,000 added to the price of the boat for a trailer I won't be able to use.

I will get in touch when I get the boat in my slip. I intend to launch it as close to my slip as I can and just tow it there.....Hey, wait, I think I still have Sea Tow. Doesn't that cover any boat I own? Even if it doesn't I will be able to tow it with Baboon if I have to. I will go get Baboon in a couple of weeks if all goes well.

My brother, Stanley was a Caterpillar mechanic for many years and also knows much about these engines. He worked on the really big Cats for large ships and those monster hospital backup generators. I will be listening to both of you when it comes to learning these engines. I am starting a maintenance log for the boat to keep track of all of the tips and advice you guys are giving me. I have worked on many diesels but I am not ashamed to take advice from those who know more than I do. You and Stan are saying pretty much the same things.

I may look into getting a set of manuals or making copies of some of the more important information in yours. I'll have to ask Stan if he still has his service books from Cat.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

crazy but the little red Bass Boat is mine also. I think I have enough boats to be promoted to Admiral. I need a big pirate hat with a giant White Feather. Ya think? :lol: :lol:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by WhiteFeather.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 days ago #18885

• gord
  • Treasure Enthusiast
  • Thank you received: 2
Just make sure it isn't Rear Admiral, I'm told that hurts.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 day ago #18887

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Actually I am going to be selling off everything I can to consolidate down to one big working boat and Baboon for those daily fishing, diving and just knockabout days on the water. :woohoo: I am still intent on getting Baboon together and bringing it up here. I would love to be able to go down and drive Baboon up here but I think the money and time are going to be a problem. I'll try to get something together if I can. I'll just have to see what I can do. I also want to see what I can do about a trailer for Baboon. A good trailer would give me the option of driving to different dive sites or jumping longer distances in much less time and for a lot less in travel expenses like on weekend trips or jumping from St Pete over to Daytona or down to the Keys or even over to Texas for a coastal run. The Hatteras would be a bit expensive to run to the Keys, or Daytona for a short dive trip. Baboon would be awesome for short trips like that but a bit cramped for two or three week trips. But, I would like it no matter what the trip. The wife would be another matter. Even the Hat would be to small when the wife decides to be ................. :unsure: :huh: :S :pinch: :evil: Even the biggest of the new gigantic cruise ships would be to small in that scenario. :S

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 day ago #18888

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 117
Hey Russ, I can drive you down there to pick up the Baboon. I am not working and have plenty of free time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WhiteFeather, sailing dutchman

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 day ago #18889

• Trembull
  • Treasure Hobbyist
  • Thank you received: 5
Were you able to finally retire Pete Da Pirate?
well good for you, now get out there and find those gold bars with Johnny
And AT that same place that picture (your Avatar was taken)
Last Edit: 1 month 1 day ago by Trembull.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sailing dutchman

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 day ago #18890

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
I'm not retired. I am a full time treasure hunter.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 13 hours ago #18893

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:laugh: Another weekend flea sale is behind me. This weekend's sale was a bust. I didn't do as well as ;last weekend but at least I did sell a few things and got about half of the covered wagon emptied out. I also took three pickup loads to the dumpster at the shop. I am starting to see some progress but have a very long way to go. I have another smaller storage unit that I am keeping stuff in that I feel can be sold off at the flea yard. Sooner or later the shop will be empty and I can get going. It will most likely be sometime after the start of the new year. That's only a couple of months away.

Now that the weekend flea yard is over I can get back on the Mustang paintwork and then the Boston Whaler. Being down to two jobs at the shop is a good thing. I am also going to sell off the Bass Boat and the tri-hull. I am whittling it down a little at a time. The paint on the Mustang is starting to look real good.
Last Edit: 1 month 13 hours ago by WhiteFeather.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 12 hours ago #18894

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
Hey Russ, Caterpillar made 3 versions of the 3208. One was naturally aspirated at 210 hp. the next was the 3208T turbo at 375 hp and the last was the 3208TI turbocharged and intercooled at 435 hp. Which one do you have on the Hatteras?

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 4 weeks 2 days ago #18896

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:woohoo: I am pretty sure that they are the 3208TI's as I remember but I will check again tomorrow when I get to the shop. I know they are turbocharged and intercooled. I'll run the numbers tomorrow afternoon when Joe gets in. He has the apps to do the research needed to track down the origin of the engines. I think the transmissions are twin-discs. That would make sense if they are the high horsepower versions. Either way I am going to have to get the boat lifted up and cover the trailer so I can get a few coats of paint on the boat bottom without painting the trailer. I am going to have to see what I can figure out pretty soon. I need to get it painted and in the water in my slip. Money is the evil that is holding me back at this time. I have tried to pick up a bit at the flea yard but that was a waste of time. I guess I am going to have to push it a bit and see what I can come up with to get this all done.

I wasn't feeling well today and headed home early. I am still not feeling up to Parr but I am planning on heading to the shop in the morning either way. I am going to have to move a few of the boats away from the shop. I am going to take one down to John's place in a few days and have to figure out where to take a couple more. I want to sell them off but they all need work and I am having trouble even trying to get just a few bucks out of them to cover the cost of moving them out. I have no more room to store them and the landlord is on my case and wants two out of here by Wednesday. I have to figure out how to get them gone. I am going to drop the prices I have listed and see if I can sell a few off. I need room at the shop for the Hatteras and my trailer. All of the rest has to go. I only have one customer's boat here, the rest are mine.

I did real bad at the flea yard this past weekend. I am paid up until the end of October so I'll try again next weekend. Meantime, I had someone come by the shop about an engine but he turned out to be one of those low ballers who keeps saying, "I'll have to think it over and I'll get back to you" types. Just a waste of my time to dig out an engine and waste another two or three hours showing something that someone can't afford. I have $2,750 on it and this guy was more of a $500 buyer. I also have several outboards to get rid of or fix up. I just don't have the time or money to put into parts and materials needed to get them done. I am going to have to get a few gallons of a good bottom paint first and then figure out how to get it towed to a marina where it can be lifted off the trailer because the trailer's owner doesn't want it in the water. It has never been in salt water and it is his trailer so I have to follow his wishes when launching the boat. It did go underwater when we had a couple of tropical storms here at the shop. I wonder if I can talk him into letting me have it launched at a boat ramp? Not likely but I'll have to give it a try.

Pete, give me a call sometime tomorrow and I'll see what I can find out about the engines. I'll have Joe run the serial numbers of the engines and see what he finds out. Also, I have also been shifting a lot of stuff out of the shop and into my little flea market storage unit to make more room at the shop. It seems to be working but I still need a shoehorn to turn around. :lol: I'll work on getting more out as fast as I can so I can close down.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 4 weeks 2 days ago #18897

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 22
WHY JUST THE WEEKEND ?

I have tried CL and I get a response every blue moon, BUT I have been using two apps on my phone and have sold a LOT
of things I didn't want...

OFFERUP AND LETGO

I like letgo a little better because it shows how many people have looked at your ad, its fast to put up pix and after you post i have had a call and sold an item in less then an hour !

easy peasy !!!
IN ORDER TO SUCCEED ACT AS IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FAIL !!

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 4 weeks 1 day ago #18899

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Ahoy Pete, the engines are 3208T's. Not the 3208TI. They are Turbo but not internally cooled. :woohoo: That puts them at 375HP each or 750HP pushing the boat. That is a lot of ponies. :lol:

I did a little cleaning and checking out the engines and what will be needed today. I came up with a few problems that I am going to have to fix. I also saw some things that need attention and repairs on both engines and the electrical system is a train wreck. I am going to need some help with this puppy and some money fairly soon. I am getting everything in the shop and storage ready for the flea yards and fixed up to get rid of on craigslist or eBay. I have to get out of here as soon as I can. Things are going downhill real fast and I don't want to get caught under the train when it hits the wall.

John, I need to bring one of the boats down to your place in a day or two if it is possible. My landlord is on my case because I have to many boats here at the shop. I may get away with moving one over to the marina but I already have one there and I am only supposed to have one there. I am trying to practically give them away to get them out of the yard but I am not having much luck. I have to get them out of here real soon.

Here is some of the stuff I have up for sale;

Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by WhiteFeather.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 4 weeks 1 day ago #18900

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
Russ I got your text message this morning about the engines. Those boats will be difficult to sell. The boating season is winding down and its a buyers market. I'm glad I got rid of mine 3 months ago. Craigslist is your best bet.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 4 weeks 1 day ago #18901

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
I just have to get them out of the shop parking area and will figure something out to just get rid of them very cheap or even free. Call me tomorrow after 9A.M. I need to talk with you and John about a few things.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 4 weeks 1 day ago #18902

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 16
I love these 3208s. The engines in our 1983 Bertram 38' Sportfish are 320 HP 3208Ts manufactured in 1991 and installed in 1992. Everything I read says if they aren't the 425+HP intercooled models, they should run to 10K hrs or more.
www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/201015-life-span-cat-3208-t-s.html
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 4 weeks 1 day ago #18903

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
I know that 3208 came in turbo 250 hp and 260 hp also. They were made for quite a while and were at one time the most popular marine engine out there. Still a ton of them out there running fine. All different hp ratings all at the 2800 rpm max.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate