Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(141 Viewing)  (140) Guest

TOPIC: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19641

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 316
Okay, I'll bid $150,000................Anyone else want to go in with me? If they should accept the bid I will need some serious financial help from partners. Who knows? I have bought boats with low bids before that everyone involved said the owner would never accept. All they can say is "NO". Then again, they may be tired of supporting it and keeping it running and afloat. 10 or 15 partners would really lower the investment per/person. 15 partners would have to invest around $20,000 each and that would allow a little for getting the venture going. Maybe just a very few that have a bit more resources to invest. Just because they are asking for the moon it doesn't mean they wouldn't accept a bid that would get them out from under the anchor. :woohoo:

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by WhiteFeather.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19642

• Salvor6
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 128
Well how much are they asking? What are the details?

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19643

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 19
When calculating the share price, one might wish to remember that she holds 12,500 gallons of fuel. I'd want to raise enough extra to at least fill 'er up one time.
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19644

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:woohoo: I saw this on "Wreckdiver in Panama" thread. It looks interesting and I would like to get into something like this. I believe is advertised for $440,000 or there about. Many years ago I found a couple of tugboats that were advertised for $45,000 each and put in a bid of $17,000 for both and got them. Just a thought for the time being but if anyone would be seriously interested I would be inclined to be in on something of this size. It would be contingent on how much it really went up to and how many people were involved. A corporation set up with a bunch of partners would be the only way I could afford to be in on a boat and venture of this size. Then again, I suppose that would be the deciding factor for most of us. I don't happen to have $150,000 laying about that is available to drop on a deal like this no matter how much I would love to get in on it. Then again, how many of us could afford to get into something like this without help? It would also demand total immersion into the project and that would also limit me due to my cancer treatments. Those treatments do not allow that I can cruise off on another adventure. Bummer!

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19645

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 132
Yea she is a real beauty, took a quick look at her yesterday when I was crossing the Bridge of the Americas.

I was just looking for something in the 45 foot range that I could do the live aboard thing and some dive exploration in the waters of Panama instead of dumping money into apartment life here in Panama when a friend who knows the owner told me about this boat a few days ago.

Unfortunately she is way more than I need and or can afford. I have linked up with the owner on my whatsApp via my friend and will be down at the Marina's on Amador continuing my searching for a boat to meet my needs and will try to link up with him.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by wreckdiver.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19648

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I went to look at another boat yesterday too. It was a shorter version of the Carri Craft I had when we started this adventure 6 years ago. It turned out to be a bit more of a project than I wanted but I was thinking it over until this morning. Normally I would not let the condition of this boat bother me. I have restored boats in much worse condition.

The boat is a real wreck. The first thing that hits you when you walk in is the smell. It was used as a giant cat's litter box and stinks like you won't believe. The smell has permeated the entire boat including the carpets, wall and ceiling vinyl and everything in the boat. The bilges are full of junk that used to be engines, transmissions and the like.

When I check out a boat, I check it from every angle.

The fact is that this boat will require about $10,000 to$15,000 to get back into a useable condition. Even if I just clean and work on a small area to live in while I worked on the rest of it the time and money I would have to invest would be very high. Not what I can afford to do at this time. Here's why.

Now for the bad news...... Not about the boat, that will wait, this is about my cancer;

This morning I went to the cancer center to get the results of the blood work tests I took last week. Every month I have to go through them. This morning's result says that the cancer is back and with a vengeance. I have to go to the cancer center on Monday morning to talk with the doctors and consider what we have to do. Hopefully this isn't going to be as bad as the last bout with the cancer treatments. The radiation and chemo was really bad and rough on my body. As you may remember I lost 85 pounds and was bed ridden for quite a while. I have gained back about 41 pounds since they stopped the chemo to let my body recover. I was thinking I could gain about another 45 pounds before I had to go back into chemo but it looks like I may not have the time. They may start me back on it next week. I am at 183 as of this morning. I can't afford to lose another 85 pounds. I was at 222 when the cancer hit the first time.

John and Pete, I have closed the right side of the shop where I was working on the Whaler. I rented a smaller single storage unit at a greatly reduced cost and I am trying to get to finishing the last two jobs I have in the shop. I have to get the boats in the yard sold off and moved out as fast as I can now that this cancer has returned. I don't have a lot of time to just keep picking at finishing up as I have the energy to proceed. I was wondering if we could get together one day, soon, to get all of the engines and heavy stuff moved into the new storage room and into my covered wagon. I am doing as much as I can myself but you know how heavy some of the stuff in my shop is. It'll be my treat for lunch at The Hibachi Grill or Golden Corral. With only one rented room I only get one parking space so I have gotten a message to the guy with the Hatteras to either get me the title and sign it over to me or get it out before the landlord has it towed away when I drop the last rental shop. I am going to get out in the next two to three weeks if I can. Thus, the adventure continues........

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19649

• Salvor6
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
Russ I am out of my house and living with a friend in Port Richey until I close on my new house (May 1). All my stuff is in a storage unit until I get the go ahead to move in to my new place. I am available to help you out any time. Just let me know what day and I will be down there.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19651

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 75
Russ, I'll call you this afternoon.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19652

• seeker41
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 35

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 2 weeks ago #19653

• seeker41
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
russ,

two months ago they said your cancer was " cured "..........now its back?? :angry: :angry:

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19656

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) The VA said my cancer was cured so they could try to cut off my disability by declaring me cured and I no longer needed the income. I have been telling them that this cancer is terminal and sooner or later it always wins. I have beat it into remission three times and it has come back again. On Monday I have the consultation with the doctors, on Friday I have more blood work and the following Monday I have another MRI scheduled to look at my spine to see if it is where I am having all of this pain. If that is not where the cancer has returned then we will have to do more tests to find it and decide what it will take to stop it again. The cancer like this is one that continues to return until it returns that one time that it wins. I may win 5 or 10 times and the cancer keeps coming back until it wins once. I have no intention of letting it win no matter what treatments or how much pain I have to endure. I have been and always will be a fighter and I have no intentions of giving in or giving up.

Okay, today I finally got hold of the Hatteras owner and I am buying the boat. It will be removed from my shop on Sunday and brought over to the slip I have at the marina here where I live. On Monday or Tuesday I will take the trailer it is sitting on and run down to Key West and get Baboon and bring her home here and put her in the slip next to the Hatteras. I am selling off the other boats and equipment that I have in the shop and will be completely out of the shop by the end of the month. I absolutely have got to get the Mustang finished and out of the shop or take it home and work under my carport if I fail to get it done in time. It is tagged and insured so if it is not finished being reassembled I can finish that at home but the shop WILL close before the end of the month, no matter what!

The Hatteras will run me around $300 a month. Once I cut out the $1,000 a month rent at the shop I will even have some extra money to put some fuel and parts into the Hat. It is a win, win situation for me. I get to buy the boat that will make a nice cruising and treasure hunting boat. It may be a little bit on the small side but it will do nicely. I am heading back in the right direction to get back out on the water. I have several offers of help to get the Hat running and ready to go out for treasure diving and even some offshore big game fishing. With twin 3208 Cats purring in the engine room I can head out almost anywhere. My brother and Steve Mc have offered to help with getting the big kittens purring. With John and Pete alongside I feel we can have the Hat ready to go almost anywhere on the west coast of Florida to do some serious diving and whatever else we want in very short order. It works for me!

In this photo I was moving the Hat around at the shop with my truck. I can't take that chance out on the road so I will have a boat mover take it the 11 miles to my ramp at the house.

Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by WhiteFeather.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19658

• seeker41
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
keep kicking its arse russ !!!

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19659

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) I don't know any other way, my Friend. I am looking forward to the cookout. I am counting on loading up on those cure-all-ailment ribs. I remember last year when I was in such pain when I arrived at the hotel and when I started packing those ribs away I felt like a new man. Must be something in the sauce. Ya think? :woohoo: :lol:

See you all at the cookout! Look at all that awesome food! Only 20 days to go! April 28, 2018 is right ahead at the Twilight Zone! :woohoo:

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19662

• thetigers2
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 42
Looking forward to seeing you ,Russ..

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19664

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) I just talked with the wife and she is going to try to make it to the cookout this year. That means that Atty will also be there. I think I had better have her wings clipped for this trip. She has the run of the area where we live and often flies across the yard but I think we had better keep her grounded for the cookout. To much excitement and she could get spooked and fly off. She did that once about 10 years ago and ended up getting hurt. She flew into one of those trees with the very large thorns and one went through her wing and she was hanging from the impaled wing when I caught up to her. I thought she was going to bleed to death before I got the bleeding stopped. I think that scared me more than it did her. We have had her over 10 years and she is just like one of the kids, only smarter. :lol:

I spent part of the day with the cancer doctors. They did another blood test and have another one scheduled for the 25th and another consult on May 2nd. At that time we will have more information as to the condition of my cancer and we will decide what to do then. The doctor said that the sudden rise of the Kappa Light Chains could also indicate other problems beside the return of this cancer. It could also indicate kidney or liver damage so we have a bunch of tests to do so we are sure of just what we are going after. At least I don't have to go right into chemo or radiation again right now. It would sure screw up my being able to go to the cookout. I don't want to have to be sitting at home while you guys and gals are eating up all of those great ribs. :woohoo:

When I got to the shop I started work on the Hatteras. I started sanding the bottom and getting the shafts freed up and removed the zincs. Then I went to Marine Surplus and got new zincs and put them on. I also went and picked up some bottom paint so I can get as much of the bottom painted with new antifouling paint to keep the barnacles off the boat. I don't want to have to haul it back out in 6 months to repaint it. I had one shaft seized up from sitting for so long but it only took a little effort with a pipe wrench and it broke free. Next I started removing the thru-hull valves to free them up. I have to be sure they all work so I can stop any water from coming in once the boat hits the water. I have to remove three or four of them to free them up. The boat has been out of the water for over two years and it seems like everything is jammed, seized up or dried out. The worst thing you can do to a boat is neglect it and not use it. That causes more damage than running it every day.

I am going to get her back in shape and get out on the water treasure hunting, diving, fishing and traveling. I might even be able to set up a few trips where I can have some of you join me and take anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks looking for treasure for just the cost of fuel, food and expenses. That would make it possible for anyone to go diving and treasure hunting with friends here on TreasureWorks. I would love to get something like that set up. I could set up specific dates and such where we could meet and all just pitch in and have a great time. The boat can be set up to sleep maybe 4 or 5 people or with a little bit of modifications it could possibly sleep 6 or 8. That could bring the pitch in cost way down. I'm not looking to make money chartering the boat out but I think it would be fun to be able to go out with friends and really find something nice. We will have to look into arranging something like that. There are a lot of places to explore and dive.

19 days till the cookout!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Salvor6, thetigers2

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19665

• Salvor6
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
Russ looking forward to going out diving with you. Let me know when you're ready. Can't get much work done with all this rain.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19666

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) I have been rained out today. Heavy storms with a lot of lightening and wind. A good day to just sit back and relax but I would rather be out drift fishing or diving and just enjoying a day on the boat, rain or no rain. When I lived aboard a rainy day or even a heavy thunderstorm day was just another day. People hear it is going to be windy and raining and they think they can't go out on the water. Just take a few precautions like you would ashore and enjoy the day chasing mermaids or relaxing with a friend and watch the rain just go on by. I have spent hundreds of days sitting aboard and watching it rain. It is still an awesome way to live. Anything on a boat always beats being in a dirt dwelling any time.

There are the occasional mishaps and minor problems but they tend to be few and far between.

There are some little issues and minor events that would scare the pants off of land dwellers but we tend to shrug them off like you do a car running across your lawn.

Some storms tend to get your attention a little quicker than others for obvious reasons. Likethis photo from Marathon Airport and the surrounding area. Water spouts are something that would scare the average dirt dweller. You just have to keep an eye out and respond accordingly. Where you would run away we tend to get closer for a better photo.

The following user(s) said Thank You: thetigers2

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19672

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Thanks to my Spirit Helper I am nearly finished with the bottom paint and getting the boat ready to hit the water. I still need to get the thru-hulls freed up and overhauled so I have a way to stop the water from coming in if there is a broken hose or other leak. I am having trouble with getting them out due to being froze up from sitting for over two years. I was under the boat today but the ground clearance is very low and getting the valves out is going to be a real problem. But, I'll keep at it and if I can't get them freed up and working before Sunday the boat will just have to wait to go in the water until next week. But.....sooner or later, she is going to be launched and fired up.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19675

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:( Today was one of those days that started at the bottom......... and went DOWN! Here we go;

This morning I went to the marina here where I live. I wanted to take the grandkids out over next weekend on John's pontoon boat so I figured I had best check out the adjustments I had made on the carburetors to be sure it was going to run alright. I didn't want to have the grandkids aboard if the boat was going to have any problems. I drove down to Longboat Key Pass and put it in the water. It started right up and I let it idle while I parked the truck and trailer. I backed out of the launch ramp and drove under the Longboat Pass bridge and on out about 2 miles to open water. The engine was running perfectly. I was running along about 2,000 RPM's and everything was fine. I picked up speed to see how the tilt and trim was running. At about 3200 or so RPM's the engine cut out and the boat came to a screeching halt. I turned the key and got absolutely nothing. T went to the engine at the back of the boat to check the battery connections and see if something was loose. I looked into the engine compartment and it was gone. The entire engine was GONE! Further looking found the engine hanging under the transom from the battery cables and other control items. The engine cover was missing and the engine was just hanging off of the back of the boat. I could see where the engine mounting bolts had pulled clear through the transom.

There was no way to pull the hundreds of poundsof engine back in the boat. I decided to call Tow Boat US and get back to the boat ramp. It only took the Tow Boat about 3/4 of an hour to get out to me. Meantime I drug some bait across the bottom but got nothing.

TheTow Boat arrived and took me in to the launch where I had set the pontoon boat in the water.

He towed me to the boat ramp about three miles away and I hauled the boat out. If I had not had the crane on my truck I could not have lifted the engine off the ground. It took me a couple of hours to get the engine off of the pontoon boat and into my truck.

I still don't understand how the engine cover came off when the engine fell off of the boat. The steering cable was parted whereit attaches to the engine and is also unrepairable. The engine had pulled the bolts clean through the transom. The wood inside the transom, between the layers of aluminum had rotted and when the throttle was pushed forward the bolts just went through the aluminum and wood together.

Okay, so now I have to pickle the engine and see what I can salvage. The transom needs complete replacement as does much of the cables, wires and whatever it is going to take on the engine. Today was a total fail. Sorry John, I'll see what I can get replaced and repaired after I close the shop.

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 1 month 1 week ago #19676

• Salvor6
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
What a terrible tragedy! Can you save the engine?
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate