Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(125 Viewing)  (125) Guest

TOPIC: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!!

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 3 weeks ago #2850

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 320
:laugh: Aye, Me Grog be cold and highly distilled. The Cap'n makes a fine brew! The wench were not here to hear the orders so I got away with it this time, fer sure...... :laugh: I gotta keep lookin' ore' me shoulder. Maybe she snuck back from pensacola. Scarry Huh? This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 2 weeks ago #2947

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:ohmy: Dang, here it is time to haul the boat. I was under it yesterday and it looks like an upside down reef. Really bad! I have been checking around for a "do it yourself" yard and have only located two. Both being a good drive from here with the boat. One is half the distance of the other but says they have a 55 foot limit. Maybe that's negotiable. Whats a couple of short little feet between making money and not. :laugh: I'll have to go talk to the yardman and see what he says. All the other requirements are inside his parameters. Weight and width are good. Just that couple of little foots. Bummer! The second yard is about 130 miles by water. But, they have no problem with anything. I guess it comes down to distance and whether or not a few feet matter. I mean we're only talking two feet. The swim platform folds up against the transom. :unsure:

It's a dead calm out here today. Quiet, calm and very warm. No breeze has the inside temprature up to 81 and it's only 8:25. Sherene is visiting the kids in Pensacola with Atty so I am taking full advantage of the situation and getting some inside work done that I wouldn't dare try with Sherene aboard. The carpet has to go. It is many years old and has two carpets. One laid right over the other. It does well for cutting down hull noises and insulation but I have to listen about how hard it is to clean and how badly it is stained. I have been promising to replace it for 2 years and 6 months. I guess I've run out of dodges and excuses for not getting it out of here.

The upper deck also has a few spots that need attention. Delamination can do a lot of damage if left untreated. I feel a couple spots move when I walk barefoot up there. I have to open the deck and find the problem and repair it. The hull needs sanding and paint(ashore) and several thru-hull fittings need replacement. They are working but are very old so I want to replace them BEFORE I have a failure.

I am going to remove the two rooftop AC units and build a hatch with access below and possibly a staircase to the upper deck. I also need to remount my davits so as to be able to lift heavy objects to the deck level. There are several upgrades and modifications I want to do and working alone is going to keep me out of the water for some time. We may get an appartment if it gets to dirty aboard to live on the boat while I am working on it.

I also would like to look into replacing both main engines with diesels. SMALL diesels! I am burning 3 gallons a mile at idle. Not a good mileage. If I can replace them with small Perkins, Ford Lehmans or Volvo's i can use the same v-drives or just turn them and eliminate the v-drives completely. I have plenty of room to move engines forward. I guess the added gear reduction with the engines mounted backwards seemed like a good idea at the time. I like simplisity. No v-drives, $6,000 cheaper and less maintenance.

The rudder control needs lookig into. I am getting a very hard wheel when turning left. I think the ram is failing. It should steer with very little effort because of the power steering, In close quarters like coming into a slip I just steer with the shifters at idle anyhow but running a narrow channel or close waterway entrance you really need the wheel working right.

Okay, those are just a few of the jobs ahead of me. Who wants to join us? :laugh: Actually, if anyone hears of a pair of small diesels being taken out to re-power a boat I would appreciate a heads-up. I may also replace the main generator if I can get a diesel setup about 6 to 10 KW. Bigger is better as it doesn't have to run as long or hard. I have a 7KW inboard genset and a 5KW up on deck. If I change the main engines to diesel I really would also like to change the generator. That way there can be single tanks instead of having to carry extra gas for the generator. I can use the generator day tank to keep gas for the outboard and run a feed hose to the back of the transome so I can fuel the dink right from the 100 gallon generator tank.

Okay, Time for to work! I am going to use up the rest of the air in the dive tank I had to rent yesterday so I can return it. I hate giving back something I paid for. Even if it's only air!

I hope the sharks have finished breakfast...... :woohoo:
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Dink Fuel and More Dink Fuel! This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 2 weeks ago #2948

• 1BootySeeker
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 1
Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you White Feather! If I were closer and could afford to take off for awhile I would be happy to help you out..... Good luck and hope all goes well.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 2 weeks ago #2962

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:huh: I went under the boat yesterday and started scraping barnacles and sealife off. The props were so encrusted that you could not tell what they were. I thought that maybe I found one of the treasure fleet ships floating upside down. While scraping the rudders and practicing removing little pieces of skin from my knuckles I noticed that the starboard rudder had some play in it. Further investigation shows that the bearings are gone. Not just shot, worn out or rusted but GONE! Maybe this could be why the helm is so hard on those left turns. The bearings must have had salt water breach the seals and rust the steel bearings out of the bearing case. Either way, it can not be changed in the water. It will require removal of the entire rudder assembly and that will leave a 6 inch by 18 inch hole in the hull right behind the starboard engine. Also all the steering linkage and hydrolics have to be moved or removed. :woohoo: Fun! Fun! Fun!

I see where we may have a storm brewing in the caribbean. Not good! I am already anchored for a blow but will have to locate another 100 to 200 pounds of anchor and heavy chain if this thing turns into a hurricane and comes this way. I'll just have to keep a very close eye on this storms developement. Sarasota has not been hit in a while. Some would say it's due for an awakening. I'll just hunker down and ride it out if it stays below a Catagory 4. Once it hits upper 4 or 5 I am out of here with pictures for the insurance man. Even a Cat 3 can be very dangerous if you are not prepared. I think that I will get a 150 pound hurricane anchor to mount just in case I should need it. This boat is a big one and has a lot of freeboard. Having not enough anchor to hold it in a 100+ MPH wind is not an option. Of course hurricane Wilma was supposed to remain a Catagory 1 and surprised us all down in the Keys. The storm surge really was bad and went right over the Keys leaving US 1 underwater and effectively shut down the islands. With a hurricane anything can happen and usually does. Sitting here I am one mile from the inlet facing out into the Gulf of Mexico. I need to check on what is available farther inland or in a better protected area. Nothing like waiting until the last minute to decide what you should have done.

Well, I'm going to get another coffee and think about thinking about what to do if the sky is falling. :laugh:

Attachments:

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 2 weeks ago #2963

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Like the man said, "It's not THAT the wind is blowing at 120 Miles Per Hour, It's WHAT the wind is blowing at 120 Miles Per Hour." Getting hit with 120 MPH wind and water doesn't hurt as bad as getting hit with a building at 120 MPH! :woohoo:

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 2 weeks ago #2966

• 1BootySeeker
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Sounds and looks like its time to get ashore and make repairs and let the storm pass... Or leave the boat at anchor and hope you can collect insurance and forego the repairs! :laugh: Good luck WF.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 2 weeks ago #2968

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Nay, I'll watch the weather. We have rode out many storms and several hurricanes including Wilma, Katina, Rita, and a couple more in 05 down in the Keys. Although not on my boat I got to play with Andrew down in Homestead a few years back. I used to chase hurricanes and do recovery work for insurace types and sometimes I wold get there ahead of the storm or like in Andrew's case, the storm would change track at the last minute or in the midle of the night and sneak up on us. Like I said, a catagory 3 or less and I ride it out. When it gets close to a catagory 4 I think staying aboard borders on insanity or just plain stpidity. :laugh: Ive been accused of both so I'm not sure which fits. :laugh:

I started the engines a little while ago and everything is running fine in case I have to move the boat. There is always enough warning to get out of the way if your boat is fast enough and ready to run early enough. This one will do 30 knots if I have enough money for fuel.

I think for now I am going to go ashore and get a few things I need. Guitar strings are getting a bit unsteady and I think I could use some ice and bread. Before my list grows had best get done. Ooops, see, I didn't get going fast enough. Now I has to do a small bag of laundry. Bummer! :lol:

Watch that bird, she will nip yer ear if she has to go potty. If you don't let her down she will think you want to keep it for yourself. :laugh: Just ask Aquanut, or any of the regulars that were at the cookout. :laugh:
Last Edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2979

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
August 3, 2011. Just about an hour ago my nephew Dave called to let me know that Mom died at 4:15 PM. Although I will miss her I know she had a long and happy life and is in a better place. I had shared over 66 of her 85 years with her but it is time to move on. She talked about joining Dad, my sister Connie and the rest of the old family just the other day and was looking forward to the transition to a better place. She said she had always trusted in the Lord and for 85 years he gave her everything she ever wanted. Now it was time to go home.

Mom and Me at my Wedding June 28, 1998
Attachments:

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2980

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 137
My condolences for your loss, it’s never easy losing a parent. My mom is still with us and my dad passed while I was deployed to Kuwait back in 2003. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2981

Sorry for your loss White Feather.
To Swim Is Human, To Dive Is SUBLIME
To bag a bug in total darkness . . . . is just the next step.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2984

• 1BootySeeker
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
My condolences White Feather... Sorry to hear about your loss.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2985

• comfortably numb
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 16
Ellen and I send our condolences, Sorry for your loss russell.
Jeff
"Does anyone know where the love of god goes, When the waves turn the minutes to hours"

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2986

• JOMA
  • Treasure Hobbyist
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and heartfelt prayers are with you Russell.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2989

• Au_Dreamers
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 3
Sorry to hear of your loss and glad she's happy to be in her new home...

But why did you post a picture of your mom and Chuck Connors? :)

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2990

• Cornelius
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Russel . My condolences. Mam is in a better place now . You will meet with her later . Cornelius

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2992

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 77
Russell,
Even though we know your Mom is in a better place, I understand that you still hurt and I'm sorry for that. We'll all be together after a while, so take strength in knowing you'll see your Mom again!
Your friend,
Aquanut

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2993

• Ole Grubstake
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Sorry to hear this. My mother passed about 15 years ago and have never really gotten over it. She was the glue that held the family together. Know how you feel guy.
Grubby

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #2997

• BigDRN
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
It sounds as though you had (and still have) a wonderful relationship with your mom. Take comfort in knowing that you appreciated her in life and can continue to appreciate her now after life. Our most sincere best wishes are with you as are our prayers.

Dave & Michelle

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #3007

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Thank you all for the condolences and sympathies from our friends both old and new. I sat here and wrote for nearly an hour. I think it helped me but as I read over it I decided to just say Thanks for now. I have a lot of things piling up and need to get busy. It's late and I'm beat. I'll get back here in a day or two when I can think a bit better.

Thanks Again to Everyone,
Russ, White Feather

P.S. She liked Chuck Connors, and Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr, Lawernce Welk, Author Godfrey, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Dale Evans, Shirley Temple, James Cagney, Bogey, Hepburn, Gene Kelly, Fred Astair and the list goes on.

Well, it's 11:00 and I had best get the generator shut down before someone gets upset out here in the anchorage.

Re: TODAY IS THE DAY!!!! 7 years 1 week ago #3008

• Au_Dreamers
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 3
Saw this on craigslist and thought of you - I've seen a few on there recently

YANMAR / BALMAR Diesel 12v gen - $475 (Vero Beach)

treasure.craigslist.org/boa/2501760838.html
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate