| 
Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(62 Viewing)  (60) Guest

TOPIC: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM.

Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 10 months ago #769

• Casca
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
I live in the Las Cruces Area and am up to any hunt. I have located a set of rings close by that produce hot rocks. I dont believe they are Meteorites as first thought. But Im looking. I also coin shoot, and interested in panning.

I have some future sites that are private property. Once I get a deep hitting machine and some practice I will be ready.

Thanks for looking. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 9 months ago #1650

• mcbubbler
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Greetings from LC. I've recently contracted meteor fever, and the only cure is more cowbell. No wait, more meteorites... I have a cheapie metal detector, but it does indicate different signal strengths, and to some extent, different metals. Supposedly a high beep means I've struck gold, but the "gold" comes in the form of pop cans. You can get a hold of me via email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. I'm usually free wed-fri, so hopefully one of those days works for you. Cheers, and happy hunting!

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 9 months ago #1651

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 28
Dont feel bad, my $1200 Minelab Excalibur sounds like the gold signal everytime I swing over aluminum.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 9 months ago #1653

• Casca
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi McBubbler, expect a email soon. Its not about the detector, but using your eyes. Im told the tragectory doesnt bury them very deep. The meteorites are so dense, they will have no problem setting off a detector. I keep finding a lot of hot rocks. The one above is just a iron rock. We are in a area called the Rio Grande Rift, and you can find gold,silver, and other variations.

I have a 4 inch coil that is marketed as a nugget coil. But it would have to be a big nugget, close to the surface for me to get a signal. The small coil works best in a this area but makes for a slow hunt.

Im looking to get a group together down here in the area. I also like to prospect, gonna do me some panning and dry washing this year too. The rules were confusing me, but I think I have a good handle on that now.

Im new, have a older Bounty Hunter that is pretty hot for a noob machine. I always find something, but learning to find what Im looking for.

Look forward to your post. I have hit several parks in the area, and can show you places that will provide a good hunt.

Stay in touch.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 9 months ago #1654

• Casca
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hey Wreckdiver, how ya trade, I got BH 202 with three coils for that minelab? Just kidding, but know you get a lot of signal there.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 9 months ago #1655

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
LOL, yea, I'm going to keep the Minelab Excalibur 1000 for my under water hunting. I have had that particular machine for almost 12 years now and have recovered a lot of treasure with it. However, its a very heavy machine for hunting on dry land, and I am now looking for a good lightweight machine to add to my tool box now that I am doing a lot of searching in the jungle.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 9 months ago #1658

• Casca
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Well this old BH is good for depth and assortment of heads. But wouldnt want to get it wet in a jungle. Even moist. I like the fisher F4 and will end up with one sooner or later.

I enjoy my desert. But miss the jungle at times, swamps, and such.

Good Luck

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 9 months ago #1659

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Yes, it will soon be the rainy season down this way soon and things will get really wet. I will be in Florida for a couple weeks at the end of April beginning of May, and will head over to Kellyco as soon as I pick out a new machine.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 9 months ago #1660

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 11
Wreckdiver,
One of the guys that came to Deepsix's cookout at Sebastion Inlet State Park a few years back showed me how he used a bungee cord to take the weight of the Excalibur. I tried it on his machine and it was weightless without interfering with the swing. You might want to experiment.
Aquanut

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 8 months ago #1878

• mcbubbler
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Casca - Meteorite hunting is definitely about using your eyes, because that's how I found this specimen. Since I responded, I've been to Lordsburg Playa twice, and was happy to find that my little sporty front-wheel car made it out onto the playa, no problems. There is a lot of slag around there from the railroad, little bits and pieces have blown far from the tracks. A bit distracting and disappointing, but I did find this beauty. I brought it in to NMSU's geology department, and they couldn't identify it conclusively, so I've moved up a level to the Institute of Meteoritics up in Albuquerque. Still waiting for a response from them, but I'm pretty sure I've found one. If it is, it will be the first registered find from the Lordsburg Playa. At any rate, I'm still looking for a buddy, especially now that gas is almost $4 a gallon. hah! I've got a couple of magnet sticks, which are pretty damn handy, and a lot less cumbersome than a detector. I've spent a lot of time researching how to identify meteorites when and if I spot them, so I'm basically ready to go. How are things coming on your end? This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by mcbubbler.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 8 months ago #1880

• Casca
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
I have been working a few sites here local. I havent been looking specifically for Meteorites, and doing a little of everything.

There is some things I need to look at in Playa area. So we should definitely do some hunting. If you want to fdo some stuff here local, thats great too. I have a site I need to detect.

You have to catch me before I go mountain hiking, that usually puts me down for a week.

let me pm you some contact info.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 8 months ago #1891

• Casca
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hey Mcbuubler,

Im off to climb a mountain. Not much in the way of meteorites there. But it sure has a lot of neat stuff. Heres a chance to go. Just email me, I have the blackberry with me.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 8 months ago #1897

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:laugh: Oops! I've been throwing the gold and magnetic rocks away and cashing in the pop tops and cans. Maybe I'd better recalibrate the old White and keep the yellow junk. :laugh: Tomorrow is the Day! :laugh:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 8 months ago #1898

• Casca
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
I can help you with that nasty gold you are throwing away.

Need to borrow one of my 5 gallon buckets?

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 8 months ago #1906

• Casca
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hey Mcbubbler, you missed a great day today. But no worry, I took pictures. Enjoy.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

One of five sites I have found.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 8 months ago #1908

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Ahoy casca, with me not being a meteorite man I am not familiar with what I am looking at in your pictures. :blink: It looks like rocks to me but I suppose a balast pile would be the same to you if you were in the ocean. Differance is that a ballast pile is usually a pile of rocks. Your pile of rocks must be something other than a pile of rocks or why would they be there. Right? Okay, I'll sell you my pile of rocks for yours. The gold colored ones are not as big as yours but they are prettier. Ooops, the wife just said she wants to keep the pretty ones or she will break my detector. So, I guess I'd best hang on to the old dirty gold ones for now. :laugh:

See Ya,

White Feather
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Last Edit: 3 years 8 months ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: Looking for Meteorite Hunting Buddy in Las Cruces, NM. 3 years 8 months ago #1911

• Casca
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Yes sir, I have had more than one ask, what am I looking at. I keep forgetting others are looking for meteorites. Those rocks are from earth, and not meteorites or even close.

You wouldn't want those rocks so your wife made a good decision. Its what I call a empty hole.

The rocks have symbols or pictures in them. Probably from a few hundred years ago. I am studying Spanish Trail markers and you cant get any pics here online. So I thought I would share a few.

Sometimes it helps to shrink the pics down and look at them. I try to downlaod what works best for everyone, but the pics are fine for my computer. Im hopping the bandits who beat me to that site missed a few things. But it doesnt look likely. The cave shot should have been filled with treasure.

It is not my only lead, but one of my best ones right now. So Im off again to look for more trail signs, and a meteorite if anyone ask.

You got a pic of a ballast pile? That would be cool. Thanks.
Moderators: LobsterPirate