(52 Viewing)  (51) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Underwater City of Guatemala

The Underwater City of Guatemala 3 years 2 weeks ago #3961

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 23
The Underwater City of Guatemala
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

By: Lisa Marie Lou

GUATEMALA, Guatemala – Believed to be more than two thousand years old, and was discovered submerged at the bottom of a lake, the first city in Guatemala.

Samabaj is submerged in the Lake Atitlan, in the department of Panajachel, Solola, about 300 kilometers from Guatemala City.

Samabaj, or the Atlantis in Guatemala, was discovered by the archaeologist Roberto Samayoa, who will be formalizing its discovery in the First Festival of Culture Museum Atitlan Lakeside 2011, from 02 to 04 December this year in the department of Solola.

This place is one of the submerged most important cities in the sample of Pre Hispanic and was inhabited and there was life on this island, which is believed growth was submerged by the lake.

This finding has been supported by different NGOs that have driven this study, which enriches the lives of past civilizations that lived in Guatemala.

Televisa news had access to several photographs of the sunken city, where you can see the richness of Hispanic architectural structures and exemplifying that there was a well developed civilization, and even had a residential structure to which the archaeologists involved in this study, we called "squares" or pictures, because its exact square structure.

Altars Samabaj residues shown having a height of about three meters high and built with stones of 60 cm high, located at the center of the development.

Under the lake also can be seen in places where civilization that inhabited Samabaj had its recreation areas, home where children could play and the women weave and make pottery.

According to Sonia Medrano, Guatemalan archaeologist in Samabaj wall structures we can see very well carved, where the stone of the residential structures is were worked to leave with smooth texture.

According to pre-Hispanic archaeological experts, Samabaj, is one of the most important wealth after the discovery of Tikal in the northern department of El Petén. This finding indicates the importance of this lake for more than two million years and still represents a natural wealth for the country of eternal spring.

After more than five years of archaeological studies made in the side Atitlan, has discovered the importance archaeological save this magical place and will continue to provide thousands of archaeological riches.

Courtesy Televisa News
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by wreckdiver.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 3 years 2 weeks ago #3962

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 22
It says the discovery was made recently but how old is the city? I can't fathom more than two million years old but what do I know about two million years ago? It's an interesting atricle and looks like someplace I'd love to dive. I know that European culture and Asian cultures go back many years but dated human existance in the Americas by European cultures I thought was fairly recent by timeline dating. Doesn't this throw a glitch into the known timeframe of discoveries of the Americas? Maybe I'm remembering something other than what is being reffered to here. Maybe that bump on the head from last Saturday kind of mixed up the numbers in my timeline rememberer. :huh: I think that civilized culture in America is only some 500 or so years with prehistoric going back some 15,000 to 20,000 years. Two million years is an awesome date for a lost city. Myan culture goes back a fiar amount of time but I didn't think it was that far back.
Okay, someone give me an update on modern, city building, human occupation of the Amerias. I can see I missed something. Native american Tribes, The Vikings, the Spanish, :S Now a two million year old city. I is befuddled! :woohoo:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 3 years 2 weeks ago #3964

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Good point White Feather, I translated this from Spanish and my Spanish still leaves much to be desired, that an I was only on my first cup of coffee this morning. They refer to a thousand as million, so I guess I will need to go back and edit that in the article.
I guess I need to check my wallet as well... :ohmy:

Lake Atitlan is high up in the mountains, and the water is very cold for us Florida divers.

Gracias mi amigo
Last Edit: 3 years 2 weeks ago by wreckdiver.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 8 months ago #11038

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Just an update on this lost underwater city. Since this city is underwater and I love archaeology and to dive, and for a couple of other reasons related to my Mormon upbringing, this story took on a special significance for me. That, and since the city is just a few hours drive from me, how could I ever pass on the opportunity to explore this site that has been underwater since the time of Christ.

After at what I guesstimate to be hundreds of hours of research, I am confident that I have recently located the exact position of this lost city. Seems the archaeologist involved in this project want to keep the location secret, so they have not made it very easy for me. Not a problem, I'm always up to a good challenge.

Since I want to keep the archaeological community on my good side, I have decided to also keep the location secret in hopes that they will not try to block my exploration of the site in exchange for my silence. This will be a difficult challenge since the academic community of archaeologist already have such a low opinion of us treasure hunters. However, since the only treasure that I am seeking from this lost city is knowledge and documentation, I hope we can strike a deal.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by wreckdiver.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 3 months ago #12998

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Well we finally did it, and yes my calculations and research were on the money. Yesterday we put on our SCUBA gear and descended some 95 feet below the surface of Lake Atitlan in the western highlands of Guatemala and landed directly onto the Mayan Ruins of Samabaj.

We took lots of pictures, and shot a bunch of video, and I will be spending the next few days compiling everything into a little video about our adventure and post it here on our website and on our Youtube channel.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by wreckdiver.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 3 months ago #12999

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 6
That's great Tommy! Looking forward to seeing your video and pics.
You're doing better than Pete and I here in Florida. Pete dove coordinates on our site and it appears we missed by a mile!!?? Maybe next time!
Aquanut

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 3 months ago #13000

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:woohoo: Congradulations my Friend. It looks like you may have a real discovery on your hands. Be careful and have to much fun. It's hard to have to much fun but if you enjoy what you're doing it will become another treasure hunter's bad habit. :woohoo: Awesome find. Wish I could play in your back yard up in those mountains. Bring lots of pictures stateside.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 3 months ago #13002

• 1BootySeeker
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Very cool indeed.... I have been away for awhile.... busy working, and computer issues... so am just now catching up... I am envious of you! That is the kind of adventure we live for!

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 3 months ago #13005

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Here are some pics of artifacts recovered from in and around the underwater city of Samabaj

Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by wreckdiver.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13034

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I have just completed production of the video of our exploration of the Ruins of Samabaj, so check it out and sit back and enjoy.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13038

• thetigers2
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 3
Tommy my friend,you are in the right business,I'm very impressed with the video.You rock....Mike :woohoo:

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13039

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Gracias Mike!

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13042

• Salvor6
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey Tom, that's a great video and thanks for sharing it with us. But what we really want to see is the gold you recovered from the secret cave!

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13043

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I haven't found the cave entrance just yet my friend, but you can bet I will be back on site soon to continue the search. If it's out there, we're going to find it!

Tommy

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13045

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) A likely story! :laugh: I bet you just had to come back for a bigger boat to haul all that treasure out. :laugh:

Seriously, Tommy, that is an awesome video and adventure. We all wish we were there with you. We would all fit right in with the green of the water because we are all green with envy. :laugh:

I am amazed at the condition of the ancient broom. It held up pretty well over the 2000 years on the bottom. :woohoo: I guess it was left to sweep the dirt away from the cave entrance to get at the gold.

Good luck, my Friend! May you truly find the treasure of a lifetime. Keep those awesome videos and pictures coming.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13047

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
LOL, thanks for the kind words White Feather. It was truly an adventure to dive on such a site, and I'm sure that not much time will pass before I head back to do some more exploration of the ruins.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13051

• Trembull
  • Treasure Hobbyist
  • Thank you received: 2
Awesome video, Mr Tom.
Can't wait to see more of this project
Unfold Sir

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13052

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Gracias Trembull, We definitely appreciate the good comments.

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13088

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Great Job, Tommy!! :cheer:

I really enjoyed the video and the pics of the artifacts. Look forward to hearing more when you return in the future. ;)

Re: The Underwater City of Guatemala 1 year 2 months ago #13094

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Thanks Judy, yea, I won't hold off too very long before I head back that way. Once the rainy season is over we can go back and with some luck get some better vis down on the bottom of the lake, and much better video.
  • Page: