Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(114 Viewing)  (114) Guest

TOPIC: Wreckdiver in Panama

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 11 months ago #16560

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 126
Here is the old Spanish fort in Yavisa, Darien Provence, Panama. This also is the location that the Pan American highway ends creating the Darien Gap between Panama and Colombia. This was one of a series of river forts built to protect the nearby Cana gold mines, and was the scene for frequent pirate attacks.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlbyM

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 11 months ago #16561

• AlbyM
  • Treasure Enthusiast
  • Thank you received: 5
Would like to get there one day, Tommy. I drove near there to watch the Darien baseball team play a game in 2011 but didn't go any further.

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 11 months ago #16587

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Packing up some gear, and heading out on a road trip back up to Cost Rica at zero dark thirty tomorrow morning. The last trip was a bust after being detained at the boarder for three days by the folks at customs. However, all my paperwork is in good order this time and I hope to cross the frontier with out many problems this time around.

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 11 months ago #16589

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 75
Good Luck! I do need to talk to you soon about the Honduras.

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 11 months ago #16600

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Apparently my papers are in order! I made it across the frontier, and into Costa Rica, all with out getting busted and detained by the boarder patrol folks for 4 long days. Things are looking up this time around. Maybe it will be a good week after-all.

It was a little warm out during the drive across the high planes of the Chirique Provence of Panama, 103 F was just a tad on the warm side, and a good thing that I had the A/C serviced on ol Panama Red before I headed out the other day

Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by wreckdiver.

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 10 months ago #16606

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Today I headed out early after a quick breakfast at my hotel in Glofito, a small fishing village on the southern coast of Costa Rica. The heat and humidity down here is brutal and I knew that I would have to get an early start. I was traveling through an area, known as the Diquís Delta, in the southernmost part of the Puntarenas Province of south eastern Costa Rica. Today’s mission was to do some gold panning along a couple of the many rivers flowing out of the thick jungle covered mountains and into the shimmering blue Pacific Ocean.

Less than an hour into my trip, and shortly after passing a Police checkpoint I arrived at my destination on the banks of the Rio Oro or Gold River in English. I parked the Blazer, and donned my back pack and headed into the jungle and eventually down to the banks of the river.

The river is running low because we are in the dry season, and I scouted for some good locations over the rock strewn river bed, looking for a good bend in the river that would hopefully be a good place for some good pay dirt.
After a couple of hours digging a bunch of test holes and panning all the dirt I found very little color in my pan, defiantly not enough to continue expending more energy on this location. It was near noon, and I decided to head into a nearby town for some lunch.

I stopped in the little one horse town of Palmer Sur and found a typical small roadside Mom and Pop store with some cool drinks. Yes! After buying a sandwich and some cold bottled water, I headed across the street to a small park with lots of shade trees. After making quick work of my meal, still not sure what kind of meat was in it, and chugging down the much welcomed cold water I sat back against a tree and just relaxed for a bit, enjoying the occasional cool breeze that would come my way.

As I was looking around watching the people around me, I started noticing that the park was full of strange stone spheres placed haphazardly throughout the park. I decided to stroll through the park and examine these strange spheres. No two were alike, and they did not appear to be made of cement, but looked as though they were carved of a single stone. Several of them appeared to be damaged and repaired with mortar.

After making it back to my Hotel and getting a nice long shower, I got on line and decided to see what I could find out about these strange rocks. Turns out they are part of an archaeological site nearby known as Finca 6, or Farm 6. The location is currently closed to the public, but they are building a small museum on the site that they are calling “Las Bolas”, or the balls in English.

Farm 6 was once owned by the United Fruit Company when the site was discovered while they were clearing land with bulldozers for a new banana plantation. The 10 acre site was littered with some 300 of these spheres, and apparently most have been scattered around the country in parks, museums and universities. Only a handful remain as they were found.

Archaeologist don’t know much about them or their purpose, but say that they are all man-made stone balls and are perfectly spherical and range in weight up to 16 tons! No one is quite sure how old these spheres are (some estimates put them at about 2300 years), how they were made or what purpose they served. But studies suggest they were an important part of Costa Rica’s ancient culture for over 1000 years.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ropesfish

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 9 months ago #16734

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
It has been a while since I have been on line. I had a major crash of my computer, so my cell phone has been my only connection to the outside world.

My friend Diego made it back up from a trip to Colombia and today worked his magic and was able to recover parts of my Operating System from the bad sectors on my Hard Drive. Once that was done he imaged my hard drive on an external hard drive so all my programs and data are all backed up safe and sound.

I put a new hard drive on order today, so that should make it down to Panama sometime in the next two weeks.

In the mean time I have over 500 emails that are waiting to be read in my TreasureWorks email in box, so I need to start going through all of those tonight along with 100 other things. Hopefully I will be all caught up with everything I need to do by the end of the week.

At this stage of the game it's just good to be back on line once again.

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 9 months ago #16739

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 295
B) And all this time we thought you were hauling buckets of gold out of the jungle and couldn't stop long enough to stop in here. Oh well, it's good to know you aren't so rich that you forgot your old friends. See you at the cookout, My Friend. :woohoo:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 9 months ago #16754

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Greetings and salutations my friends! I just confirmed my airline reservations for the trip back home to Florida in a couple of weeks. I will be home for two weeks and will be attending the Treasure Hunters Cookout on the 30th. Looking forward to seeing all my treasure hunting friends while I'm home. It's been 8 long months since my last trip home, and I'm ready to spend a little quality time at home.
In other news, my replacement hard drive and a new Modem arrived today, yea!

See y'all soon!

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 9 months ago #16755

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
The Cookout wouldn't be the same without you my friend! Looking forward to seeing you.

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 9 months ago #16757

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Great Tommy! We will do our best to be there also. With or without the pontoon boat in tow. If it is not ready we will try to bring the fishing boat to go out on the Gold Coast waters and do a little fishing and possibly a little diving. :woohoo: See you then, my friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wreckdiver

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 8 months ago #16800

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Today is the day! Packing up this morning for the trip home to Florida. First item in my luggage is the metal detector. I should be arriving later this afternoon into Melbourne for the start of a two week visit that will of course include spending the 30th at the Treasure Hunters Cookout.

It's been nine months since I was last at home in Florida, and I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight.

Time to sign off, finish packing and head to the airport. See y'all soon!

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 8 months ago #16807

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Made it home Friday afternoon, and just got around to unpacking the laptop, so I back on-line once again. It is good to be back home in Florida, and I'm just loving these cooler temperatures.

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 8 months ago #16809

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:woohoo: Welcome home my wandering friend! If all stays together we will be at the cookout. I intend to bring the fishing boat and see what we can get into. Lots of nice big fat fish around that way I hear. :woohoo: :lol:

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 7 months ago #16879

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I was out doing some exploring along the coast, following up on a story of old Spanish Ruins west of Panama City that once served as a grain storage facility for the Spanish Garrison. While the search for the ruins was not successful we did discover a small shipwreck grave yard during our travels, so all in all it was still a good day.

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 7 months ago #16880

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Looks like a whole Treasure Fleet! Now all you gotta do is find where they stashed the treasure. Good Luck Tommy! In case you forgot, it should look something like this...

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 7 months ago #16923

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Hydro and Visual Inspection completed, Regulator rebuilt with all new o-rings. Rebuilt 10 this week, only 15 Spare Airs to go, and then it's time to fill the bottles and do the leak checks.

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 7 months ago #16926

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Jeesh Tommy! I've never used one. Are you planning on running out of air 25 times?

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 7 months ago #16927

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
LOL, this way I don't need to use a big 80CF tank or a weight belt

Wreckdiver in Panama 1 year 7 months ago #16955

• Salvor6
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 119
Not a bad idea Tommy but they can't last more than a couple minutes. I bought these 40 cubic tanks and I don't even notice them on my back. I can skip breathe and make one last a half-hour at shallow depth.

Moderators: Salvor6