Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(754 Viewing)  (754) Guest

TOPIC: Wreckdiver in Panama

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 11 months ago #14837

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 400
B) Awesome to see you back in civilation again. Adventures are great but getting home alive on those real touchy ones is even better. Glad to see you made it in such good shape. Like you said, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Just remember to watch your back. There are a lot of un-nerving things going on in the world today. Try to find some treasures in more secure areas. Wandering around in the jungle with people who would like to use you for target practice or a pin cushion is a not nice place. There is adventure and then there is sheer terror trying to survive. We have both been in both places and I prefer the adventure without the survival struggle thing when people want to hurt you. Nature is the biggest threat I want to deal with these days. I'm getting to old for these shootout type things.

Great to see you made it back from the forbidden zone safe and in one piece, my Friend.

Isn't there supposed to be some pirate ships sunk in the waters off Panama City or in that area? I would rather swim with the fishes than rumble through the jungle down there. That's just my thoughts. Good Luck and Safe Travels, My Friend! :woohoo:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 11 months ago #14850

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 167
Thanks Russ, but you know me, I love a good challenge and besides I think the best and most valuable treasures out there today are the ones that are in some extremely hard to reach locations.

I believe that most of the low hanging fruit has already been picked or picked over. Not to say that their is not still some awesome and extremely valuable treasures that have not yet been discovered in many relatively easy to reach locations. However, while I have the training, experience and most importantly the opportunity to search in some of the more remote locations I will continue to do so.

After all, I'm not getting any younger, and in my mid 50's I'm already starting to find the aches and pains of older age starting to creep in and slow me down.

In answer to your question, yes! There are several shipwrecks of interest down this way and a couple of them are Pirate ships.

Good news, my dive gear and metal detector have made it to Panama from Honduras, now if I can just get it out of customs so that I can have the necessary tools in hand to continue the adventure.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by wreckdiver.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 10 months ago #14893

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Good news, my dive gear and metal detector have finally caught up with me down here in Panama. My treasure hunting trunk spent much of the last month on a slow boat from La Ceiba, Honduras and a trip through the Panama Canal, and were just released from customs this last week. The hunt is on...

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 10 months ago #14895

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 109
Yahoo! Good Hunting my friend.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 10 months ago #14921

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Just some pictures from the island of Taboga with modern day Panama City in the background.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 10 months ago #14943

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Life can be relatively crazy sometimes, and things can tend to get away from you. Today was no exception. I got up this morning and did my normal routine, get the coffee going and turn on FOX News and the computer and see what is going on in the world and here at TreasureWorks. I about had heart failure when I saw that the familiar face of our website was not starting back at me from the computer screen.

Much to my dismay I began making calls back to our web hosting company back in Melbourne Florida to see why our site was down and a parking domain was in it's place. The Tech called me back after doing some checking, and told me that everything on the server was fine, and then he asked me if I had renewed the TreasureWorks domain name.

Then it hit me, damn this is October 2014. It was 4 years ago today that we purchased the TreasureWorks domain while having our annual shareholder meeting in the Bahamas. Panic raced through my body when I realized that I had let the Domain name expire, and anyone who wanted could now purchase the domain out from under us.

Needless to say I immediately got on the phone to the folks at the web domain registration company and was very re-leaved to find that no one had made a move on the domain name, and I immediately renewed our registration.

With that being said, and a potentially catastrophic situation being averted, I started to reflect on the last four years in the life of TreasureWorks.com, and all that we have been able to accomplish in that short period of time.

In that four years we have gone from 0 to over 1,000 registered members

Almost 147,000 unique individuals have visited TreasureWorks.com, visiting the site more than 256,000 times, with more than 905,000 page views.

It has not been an easy road to travel, we have been hit by Spammers, and Hackers and by the fat fingers of this webmaster, who is not such a master when it comes to all things internet. But we have persevered through it all, and with each bad thing that has happened to this website, we have reinforced it and made it better and stronger.

And to each of our members who post and help provide content to this site, I say many thanks for sharing you love of Metal Detecting and Treasure hunting with the rest of us, and may all your days be filled with lot's of Treasure.

Tommy
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by wreckdiver.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 10 months ago #14947

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 400
B) Congradulations on catching it in time. :woohoo: We would be real upset if someone took it away from you for such a minor oversite. You have worked long and hard for this site and no one has the right to take it away much less pirate it out from under you for a slight loss of attention. Set a real big alarm so it doesn't happen again. What time or day does it go out next? We can all see about sending you a notice a few days before it runs out.

Again, congradulations on 4 years of excellent treasure hunting news, events and web site information on the friendliest treasure hunting site on the web.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wreckdiver

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 10 months ago #14948

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I renewed the site for another four years, so we are good until October 17th, 2018. I also updated my email with the domain registration company. They said that they sent out a notice, but that email address is no longer used so that email went off into a cyber space black hole. You can bet we won't let that happen again!

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 10 months ago #14960

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello Wreckdiver

Its a pleasure to see you having so much fun down in Panama. Many years ago I acquired a copy of a chart of an island in central America it was from the family descendants of an Englishman who worked on Panama canal as an engineer. in the 1920's He had come in acquaintance of man from Honduras.This man claimed he was a friend of friend who have been a friend of an old sailor privateer that died in Guatemala city.

This alleged pirate may have been a crew member of a ship Cumberland that was operating as a privateer under a captain William Wilkinson in 1818. Captain Wilkinson died in 1823 and his 1818 expedition as a privateer raiding towns churches and coastal shipping along central America was allegedly very successful except for Toboga Panama The graves of 3 dead sailors I mentioned are on Toboga.

Wilkins never revealed the location where he cached looted treasure...because of the uneasy conditions as the war Independence of South America ended around 1825.

If your interested you can have the chart?

Kanacki

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 10 months ago #14964

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Kanacki, a very generous offer! and Yes! I would be very interested in the chart. Lots of Pirate history on this island.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #14969

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Took my leave of Panama today in order to explore some other parts of Central America that I have not yet had a chance to visit. Today I found myself in beautiful Costa Rica, Ohhhh yea!

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #14970

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello Wreckdiver

Sorry I did not get back to you earlier.The internet is rather patchy...

Here is the chart that was allegedly give to Claude Robinson. The Island is just off the coast of Costa Rica. And No not famous Cocos. but with in sight of the Mainland. Sadly the name was scrubbed out on the map that I was given but will not take much to find the correct island.

I confirmed that Claude Robinson was a real person working as an engineer in Colon Panama in the mid 1920's about 1924. He came their with his wife in 1924 and 1925. His full name was Raymond Claude Robinson. I send you his shipping manifests for him and his wife and pictures of the ships he traveled to and from Panama in 1924-1925

Anyway the location of the island seems to be in the north west of Costa Rica. There is an island that fits the alignment to north and shape as indicated on the map and with two rocks. It is one big hill of an island If anything it might be fun place to visit as some islands there look interesting.

Last known search was in late 70s early 80s but I suspected they searched the wrong location to the south because they too never had the name of island.

Cheers

Kanacki
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by Kanacki.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #14990

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Back in my old stomping grounds in Guatemala City today, and I just put my 1999 Chevy Blazer into the shop for a new Air Conditioner compressor along with a few other things that it requires. The AC will be needed very much for the long drive down to Panama, and I'm sure it will be much cheaper to have the work done in Guatemala than it will down in Panama.

The Blazer has been in storage here in Guatemala along with most of my household goods since I left here over a year ago. My friends have done a good job of running the engine and moving her regularly. So when I got in her she started right up, and drove her around the city just like the day I left her.

All I really had to do was to remount the rear-view mirror and replace some of the weather stripping around the doors. Then when I get her out of the shop, all she will need is a good cleaning inside and out and then hit the road. I had all of the fluids replaced and the chassis lubed up before I put her up in storage.

The AC never worked since the day I bought the truck some four years ago, It really is not necessary up here in the Central Highlands Of Guatemala, since the weather here is like the Spring time all year round. The only times I regretted not having the AC fixed was during my journeys into Petan and the Yucatan.

The weather here in Guatemala City is a welcome change from the sweltering heat that we have been enduring in Panama and it's good that I will able to catch up with a few old friends during my short stay here in the City.

Hopefully the Blazer will be all ready to go in the next day or so, and then it's off I go down the Pan-american highway through Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and then into Panama.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #14999

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I got the Blazer out of the shop this afternoon, a little late to head out of Guatemala today, so I will be heading out first thing in the morning. I was hoping to be half way to Panama by now, but you know what they say about the best laid plans.

Fortunately I am not on a real tight schedule, but I do need to get back to Panama before the end of the week, as I have things that need to get done.

I was planning on spending a little more time in Honduras, and maybe do a little house hunting down in La Ceiba. I guess that will have to wait for another trip early next year.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #15006

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Departed Guatemala City at dawn today, and headed over to Honduras. Hit the boarder at about 10:30 this morning and had no problems getting myself and the truck across the boarder. In all it only took about 21 minutes at the boarder plus another 5 minutes to have the truck run through the fumigation stop.

Next stop was the Copan Ruins on the Honduran side of the boarder. Much smaller footprint than Tikal, but the ruins are every bit as impressive.

After that headed out and made it up to Comayagua, about an hour north of Tegucigalpa, and am spending the night here before I press on for Nicaragua tomorrow.

It's been a long day, so I'm going to get something to eat, and then hit the rack.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #15008

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing your trip.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #15015

• thetigers2
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 47
Very nice,Tommy

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #15017

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Made it into Managua Nicaragua tonight, and staying at a relative of my friends who took care of and stored my truck in Guatemala.

Departed Comayagua Honduras this morning and made it to the boarder of Honduras and Nicaragua about noon. I guess that it was too much to ask that I would have the same speedy boarder crossing today as I had yesterday at the border of Guatemala and Honduras.

Today it took nearly 3 hours to cross the boarder at Las Manos, and that put me a little behind schedule. It was one of the most un-organized and disjointed operations seen to date. But I guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

That or they just think that a Gringo with a Florida drivers license, and owns a truck registered in Guatemala and traveling across Central America to Panama is just a little suspect. I guess that's why the decided to go through all my stuff. That and they took an expressed interest in going through my entire passport, and all seemed intrigued by all my stamps and visas from two years of travel to Kabul Afghanistan and the Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

In any case, it all worked out and they did not find any drugs, weapons or any of the Cash from the Valle Valle treasure, and eventually let me go :P Good thing I buried it all on the other side of the boarder.

However, I think they called ahead of my planned route (the only one available), and I was stopped at every check point along the way to make sure that all my papers were in order, that and one more thorough search of my vehicle.

All is well that ends well, and in the morning I am off to Costa Rica.

Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by wreckdiver.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #15019

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Made it into Costa Rica today, but had to divert my planned route due to a landslide along the coastal highway that took out the road. I diverted up north to San Jose and am staying at the Marriott for a much needed shower and a good meal and a good night sleep.

My Waze is not working since my internet on the phone will not work outside of Panama, and have had to rely on my old standard map and compass for the trip through Nicaragua and Costa Rica. I got on Google maps once I got to the hotel and have set up an alternate route that will bypass the landslide and still get me on the coastal highway and down to the boarder with Panama.

It took nearly 3 hours to get through the boarder crossing for Nicaragua and Costa Rica today. Not allot of fun on that one since half that time was just getting out of Nicaragua, go figure.

In any case, I doubt I will make it back to Panama Pacifico tomorrow as planned, it's more likely that it will be sometime mid day Wednesday.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 9 months ago #15020

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Whatsamatter Tommy? Didn't bring enough cash for the locals?
Moderators: Salvor6