Welcome, Guest
(128 Viewing)  (128) Guest

TOPIC: Wreckdiver in Panama

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 2 weeks ago #15149

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 109
Tommy
Use a bunge co rd to absorb t he weight of. The Excalibur.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 2 weeks ago #15151

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 400
Then you have to carry a 10 pound bungee chord with a bouncing Excalibur on it. :laugh:
HAPPY THANKSGIVING, TOMMY.

CELEBRATE WITH AN AMERICAN SIZE MEAL! TO MUCH FOOD AND DRINK AND AN AFTERNOON NAP IN FRONT OF THE TV WITH SOME SORT OF FOOTSBALL BATTLE ON IT. :woohoo:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 2 weeks ago #15155

• seeker41
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 57
i have an old excal like yours and i hipmount, makes a huge difference. aftermarket coils are much lighter also!

beware the ctx has had many issues, leaking, shafts breaking etc: its also not a light machine!!!

chuck.

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 2 weeks ago #15156

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 170
Johnny, I did not use a bungee but I did build both a torso harness, and belt mount rigs for my detector. The harness rig worked much better than the belt mount, and I used straps putting the load on my shoulders instead of my arm.

Thanks for the Thanksgiving greeting Russ. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite US holidays, and sadly I'm not home to celebrate this year. However, a bunch of us are going over to the Hard Rock Panama for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. With all the US Expats that live down this way, I'm hoping they are able to get at least close to a good traditional meal. We shall see.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all our friends and family back in the States!
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 2 weeks ago #15164

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
It was a good Thanksgiving dinner, and the folks at the Hard Rock did an outstanding job. The only complaint, no cranberry sauce. It must be a Central America thing, two years ago I did Thanksgiving in Antigua, Guatemala, and no cranberry sauce their either.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Having Thanksgiving dinner with a few of my Expat friends at the Hard Rock.

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 2 weeks ago #15165

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I was making a new facebook cover page and used a map of Panama and some of the places we have explored and are exploring down here in Panama. Each post-it arrow represents at least one of our target sites.

The yellow arrows represent old Spanish forts. Only three of the five forts here are protected by UNESCO. The other two are long forgotten ruins ravaged by time, and in one case overgrown by dense jungle.

The blue arrows represent shipwreck locations

Last Edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by wreckdiver.

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 1 week ago #15180

• AlbyM
  • Treasure Enthusiast
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like you've done your research, Wreckdiver! I have no idea about the underwater wreck sites, but the Spanish forts I might be able to name- Looks like Isla Tobago, Panama Viejo, PortoBello, and Fort San Lorenzo?

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 1 week ago #15184

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
You got 4 of the 5 forts. There is a fifth on over on the right side of the map next to the video camera.
There is not a fort on the Isla Tobago, but on Isla El Morro that you can walk to from Tobago during low tide. and it once had a small Spanish fort that was built by the Spanish to protect Tobago.

There is yet another Fort built by the Scottish, but that marker is under the video camera.

I also hear rumors of two more small Forts, one on the Isla Boca Grande, and another on the island next to it on the Isla El Encanto. Both are in the Darien Provence near La Palma, and only accessible by boat
Last Edit: 5 years 1 week ago by wreckdiver.

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 1 week ago #15186

• AlbyM
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Interesting, I've never been to Tabago, although I did make it out to the Pearl Islands (which is where you have marked a shipwreck- is that the old submarine?).
Last Edit: 5 years 1 week ago by AlbyM.

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 1 week ago #15187

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Yes, once I learned that it was there I decided I just had to go check it out. I haven't made it there yet, but it is on my list.

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 1 week ago #15189

• AlbyM
  • Treasure Enthusiast
When I was relaxing on Contadora island, I had planned on visiting the sub. I think you had to go at a certain time of year to see it exposed, unless you wanted to scuba, of course. But to plan an excursion from Contadora would have been too time consuming and expensive. If I ever get back there, I will be sure to go. It's supposed to be very cool.

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 1 week ago #15197

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I had to put the Blazer in the shop this morning, Started sounding like it was in 4 wheel drive while I was going down the highway. Since I don't have 4 wheel drive, I'm thinking it's a wheel bearing starting to go. In any case I'm stranded once again, hopefully they will have it all back in good shape tomorrow.

I have enough targets on the map here in Panama to keep me busy the next couple of months, so in the mean time I think I will take this oppertunity to dig out the Honduras maps and blow the dust off of them.

Here is a picture of my office (TreasureWorks Nerve Center), down here in Panama

A closer shot of the Panama Treasure map

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 1 week ago #15203

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I finally got a call from the shop yesterday afternoon where my Blazer was in for repairs, and yep, it was a bad wheel bearing. They replaced both front bearings. My buddy Jose offered to drive me into town, so we headed over to the shop and picked up the truck in heavy rains that plagued us most of the day yesterday.

The drive into town was not that bad given the down pour of rain we had been having for the last couple of hours, but I could see that the drive back was going to be a different story. Traffic was backed up on the other side all the way from west of Panama Pacifico to the other side of the Bridge of the Americas that crosses over the Panama Canal.

I did not know what to expect as far as cost was concerned, and based on experience back in the states I expected a bill of between $300 and $400. I was not too far off, as the bill ended up at $466. Not bad I guess, but still about twice what it would have cost me back in Guatemala.

Paid my bill and and got back on the road. The rains had let up a little bit as I headed back to the apartment and made conditions a little safer for testing the work that had just been accomplished. I put the Blazer through the paces, and the wheering sound was gone and she seemed to handle much better even on the rain soaked roads.

When I finally ran back into traffic on the city side of the Canal, the pace had picked up a little bit and the rest of the drive home was slow, but at least it was not at a standstill.

This morning looks a little more promising as far as the weather is concerned, so I'm looking forward to heading out to do some grocery shopping this morning,

Wreckdiver in Panama 5 years 1 week ago #15210

• AlbyM
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Looking at your map, Tommy, it's looks like you have Sapzurro targeted (although the map is kind of small so I could be mistaken). If so, when do you plan on seeking it out?

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 11 months ago #15254

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
To all my friends here at TreasureWorks, I would like to wish each and everyone of you a very Merry Christmas, and a even more prosperous New Year in 2015.

I am spending the Holidays down here in Panama this year, and it just does not seem very much like Christmas this year. Of course, that's not all that unusual in a tropical paradise where the high temperature is in the low 80's every day.

In the last 38 years I would guess that I have spent less than half of the Christmas Holidays at home, instead celebrating the Holidays in such far flung places as Korea, Hawaii, Germany, Italy, Kuwait, Afghanistan and Guatemala just to name a few.

I made the error yesterday of going to the Marcado with a couple of friends to pick up a few things for Christmas dinner. The place was packed with people doing last minute shopping. Damn, I thought I was back in New York! people were so damn rude and inconsiderate. I could not wait to get out of that place and back to the peace and quiet of my apartment.

All is well that ends well, I got almost everything that I wanted to pick up. You would think that I would have learned by now not to wait until the last minute to go to the grocery store. I guess it's just a part of the ritual.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

The following user(s) said Thank You: thetigers2, ArcticPara907

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 11 months ago #15256

• seeker41
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 57
merry christmas tommy!!

last minute shopping and dealing with stressed out idiots is part of my normal routine also!!

chuck.

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 11 months ago #15257

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 109
seeker41 wrote:
merry christmas tommy!!

last minute shopping and dealing with stressed out idiots is part of my normal routine also!!

chuck.

Shopping?

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 11 months ago #15263

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 400
MERRY CHRISTMAS, TOMMY!

HOPE YOURS WAS AS GREAT AS OURS WAS AND WE ALL WISH YOU A VERY HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR, MAY YOU FIND THE TREASURE YOU SEEK OF UNMEASURABLE FORTUNE THIS COMING YEAR! Fame and fortune await for someone and I hope it is in your future. Keep you notes up to date, after you find it you will need to write a book and retire to some tropical paradise with your wife and drink tropical drinks and catch up for lost time.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 11 months ago #15267

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello All

I hope everyone has had a Wonderful Christmas and happy new year to come.

Cheers Kanacki via the coral sea

Wreckdiver in Panama 4 years 11 months ago #15269

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Went out and did some beach detecting this morning, and on the way back my buddy Cliff said we should stop by one of the old beach side gun emplacements and do a little exploring. So, with that said we pulled in and went exploring.

After that we were going to check out another site when I was making a turn my right front tire went down into a hidden drainage ditch and the frame of the blazer came to rest on the cement ledge, the right front wheel hanging out in space. Ouch I said, putting the truck in reverse to get back up on the road. Shortly after I got the front wheel back onto the road surface, the back end of the blazer went down on the frame hard. Cliff said that did not sound good. No kidding I exclaimed as I got out to see the damage.

Both rear wheels were now hanging precariously out over the edge of yet another drainage ditch. While we were standing their assessing our limited options a Panamanian police truck arrived. They all got out to see the problem, and after a good laugh they said they would see if they could find some rope and would return.

When they returned they brought not a rope but what looked like a coax cable which promptly came apart with little effort. Again they said they would try to find a rope and off they went. Meanwhile Cliff called our Colombian friend Klaus who also just returning from the beach and was nearby with a cargo strap in his pickup. He showed up about ten minutes later, and after snaking the cargo strap through both vehicles frames we got the Blazer back up on the road.

Heading back to the apartments, Cliff suggested we stop by the gas station and pick up some Gatorade. We were both parched from the hot Panama afternoon sun, and I had a bad case of cotton mouth. As we came out of the gas station with several bottles of ice cold Gatorade, the Police pulled up behind us. I went over to thank them for the assistance, and they showed me a strap similar to the cargo strap we used. I laughed and thanked them being sure to shake each of their hands in appreciation for the effort.

Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by wreckdiver.
Moderators: Salvor6