Welcome, Guest
(41 Viewing)  (41) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Find my treasure who can?

Find my treasure who can? 7 years 2 weeks ago #4475

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Some treasure legends make some people spend thier entire lives in the search for a mysterious treasure?

Olivier de Vasseur was a French pirate who preyed upon ships in the Indian Ocean. He made two rich captures, the Portuguese vessel, Vierge du Cap, carrying the Viceroy and the Archbishop of Goa, the Portuguese colony on the Indian coast, and an Arab ship. She carried a princess on her way to marry in Zanzibar, on the coast of Africa. Both vessels were transporting rich cargoes of gold, silver and jewels.

De Vasseur's own ship, Le Victorieux, was captured by the French. He was taken to the island of Reunion, where he was hanged in the morning in July, 1730. From the scaffold it is alleged De Vasseur tossed a paper to the spectators, crying `Find my treasure who can!'

And thus started a treasure legend as baffling and ongoing in search of it, as has the legendry money Pit in Canada.The paper proved to be a chart,In a seris of lettered coded cryptograms with directions how to find the treasure he had hidden in a cave in the Seychelles Islands. .

This chart came into the possession of a family named Savy who lived on the island of Mane, one of the Seychelles group. These islands became a British colony in 1814 The chart led the Savy family to the beach at Bel Ombre. They found other papers in the Archives at Mauritius.

The Savy family dug the beach at Bel Ombre between 1913 and 1923. The search for de Vasseur's treasure might have ended had not an Englishman arrived in the Seychelles in 1948. This man, Reginald Herbert Cruise-Wilkins, had been an officer in the Guards and had been living in Kenya, in East Africa, for some years.

He had visited the Seychelles on holiday without realizing that he would have to wait three months for a boat to take him back to East Africa. He went to stay at Bel Ombre, where he met Mrs Charles Savy. She showed him the chart and pointed out on the beach rocks and cliffs on which had been drawn pictures of dogs, serpents, tortoises, horses, and human beings. Cruise-Wilkins in no time at all was hooked on the treasure legend.

The more he studied the cryptogram and these rock markings, the more convinced he became that they formed a crude code invented to show the place de Vasseur had hidden his treasure. `My first study of the documents convinced me,' he told a visitor in 1967, `that the plan for burying the treasure had been based on stories from Greek mythology, and on the position of the stars'. De Vasseur, he thought, had devised a game to `befuddle' those who might seek to find his treasure.

If Cruise-Wilkins is right, de Vasseur must have been a very well-read pirate. He had based his cryptogram on the Seven Labours of Hercules. For example, Hercules had been given the task of killing the water-snake, Hydra.

De Vasseur, Cruise-Wilkins, believed, had used this classical parallel to explain that he had had to divert an underground stream to protect his treasure cavern. Another rock carving depicted the goddess Andromeda, chained to a rock, waiting to be devoured by a monster.

Early in his search, Cruise-Wilkins realized that much money would be required to pay the cost of excavating the beach at Bel Ombre, so he returned to Kenya where he got backers

Back at Bel Ombre again, he learned that Mrs Savy had found that six compass bearings given on the chart intersected on the beach at a certain point. She and her helpers had unearthed two coffins containing skeletons and another body, possibly the remains of the pirates de Vasseur had killed to prevent their disclosing the secret of the treasure's hiding place?

Cruise-Wilkins has been digging and tunnelling on the beach at Bel Ombre since 1950. Two visitors found him at work in 1952 and 1967. Cruise Wilkins hired a retired British Army officer who was a professional water diviner to look for the treasure. The surrounding hills echoed to the sounds of blasting and a small gang of Negroes were busy digging holes. They were searching, he was told, for the supposed cave which was believed to lie beneath a great area of granite rock.

Many years later, the beach honey- combed with man-made tunnels which ran below sea level. A high stone wall had been built to hold back the sea made by Cruise-Wilkins in search of the alleged cavern, in which the treasure was supposed to lie.

It had been a massive and dangerous engineering job. The cavern is protected by a huge slab of rock and is guarded by the sea. It can be approached only from one direction, in which Wilkins belives is indicated by three stones depicting the Golden Apples of the Hesperides, another ancient Greek myth.

De Vasseur has led me almost in a complete circle', CruiseWilkins told visitors. `But I believe that at last I have him. Famous last words for any treasure hunter to make. :lol:

Cruise-Wilkins believes that the treasure is contained in three chests, each about seven feet long and three feet wide. .Cruise-Wilkins dug at the site until his death. His son took over from his late father and still works on and off the site today. There was a break when another American treasure hunter won the the rights to search the site for a few years. Another obsessed convert to the treasure legend.

But with all the years of digging and speculating nothing has been found. Is there a treasure or is it all cruel hoax of spite from a doomed pirate?

Perhaps the dead pirate hanging on the gallows is having the last laugh?

Kanacki This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #11837

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
I like this one , dig deep enough and it becomes more about the man himself , his beliefs , his intellect, his remorse and reasoning behind what he did.
I feel that although he met and sailed with many of the better known pirates of the time , and has sort of flew under the radar a little , he became more famous for doing a cryptogram and saying those immortal words "My treasure for he who understands".Than for just being a pirate.
Was that just a bout of jealousy or ego scratching at him at wanting infamy? Or does he actually have a few things to show the world?
Yet he was a pirate to be reckoned with , who understood how men operated , understood the minds , knew when time was right to move on , and even revenge was his.
Even though the cryptogram has become a topic of debate as being hoax or real....what would a guy do on a tropical archipelego apart from drink rum , for 7 to 8 years , be lazy , go stir crazy , fall into local time , go native or even go commando or do a cryptogram , to keep insanity at bay? or perhaps write some memoirs and leave them for the whoever is lucky enough to understand or was he sitting it out waiting for someone.
Even then , in my opinion , i think once he done what he had to do , he went back to normal society , the way at how he was caught , just came across as whatever , a sign of knowing the inevitable was going to happen, via his previous years , he was quick , agile , alert at knowing when to run. Yet this time gave no fuss or skirmish. Even at his trial he stood proud at being a pirate.
I also think that he forever regretted taking Religous vessel , and the main instigator was John Taylor, noted as being a brutal , barbourous leader , perhaps it was he who had the ego trip. Suggestion of it comes when they attempt to send word to St Augstine , Madagascar of the capture of a rich prize and to make masts ,via the ostender they took the day after the Viceroys was taken.
An issue i have with John Taylor when he got his commission from the Spanish at Portobello , all sources tend to just drift off , as not really knowing what happened to him. One source says he was back out working for the Spanish and taking a log wood vessel off Cuba? Really? could such a barborous pirate with a passion for cruelty and reign actually step down from that pedastal and carry on like nothing ever happened. Or was his hunger for treasure so much so that he came back to the Indian Ocean to collect his portion from the proceeds and perhaps that of Levasseur`s , who might just actually have been waiting for his return and Taylor got his just desserts for whipping Levasseur at the mast a few years earlier.
At the end of the day , like everyone else , i have my own assumptions, and i sit on the side of it being a real legend.

Cache n Rum.

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #11846

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello cache u rum

Interesting comment.

It sounds that you have done some research on this topic.

There seems to be several people on the net researching this pirate which you are proberly aware of.

I have not done deep research into it personally so I am a bit of fence sitter on this one.But for some of claims made I have not exactly sold either although I have not had the luxury of visiting the island itself or the archives.

Anything you may add would be welcome.

Nap time for me :laugh:

Kanacki

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #11855

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi,

Perhaps i have done a little research on it.

The others , if they get that warm fuzzy feeling by visualising some granite rock as a resemblence to something with meaning. Hey , enjoy.

As for claims, each to their own i guess. Am just trying to understand the story of this pirate

Cache n rum

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #11859

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Cache un Rum

I see many who have attempted to solve the Riddle of le Vassuer like so many other legends fail to establsh the facts from the fiction.

It good to see your seeking the real hstory of the man before making asumptions.

I suspect there is imformation about Le Vassuer in France.

Kanacki

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #11862

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi,
There are a few strong pieces there , as there is in London and a few other places.

To me it`s the dynamics of the pirates switched in 1716. Levasseur was buddy with Hornygold , til he got ousted and went his seperate way and met up with Teach. Then Bellamy and Williams are the leading buddies , sensing this , would this not be a possible reason for Levasseur to part company and go his own way in Jan 1717.
Having not seen anything as yet of him being anywhere near Texas , i just wanted follow a random path on it, as he disappears for a short while. Where to?

Suggestion of South Carolina and Texas , could be any number of reason , a hint at his own stashes , or a hint at others who messed with him.

Like i mention , its just a hunch , the aim is to dicredit or prove originality of source.

Having said that ,back to Indian Ocean, if a maybe confirmation of what was hidden came from the two main men ,1st source ; cryptogram 1730 and the other which predates this , if they speak of the same thing , then a good theory is to be had.

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #11887

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Cache u rum

Interesting theory...should I say stab in the dark...

But it might be hard to prove where he was during those missing years. But by no means impossible..

However it might be worth looking through many of various colonial dispatches from that era that might mention that name?

It might be also to interesting to see if there is a family connection with the one time govenor of Tortuga. Perhaps your French pirate was the grandson of the one time govenor?

Kanaki

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #11999

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi Kanacki,

The Governor you mention , was not prone to sowing his seeds in anything that moved , the number spawned....might be tough tracing links to grand father.

I looked at the other Levasseur pirate 1600`s killed off Cuba as potential father , but he was never near France , himself.

Others say he Levasseur came from Arcadia , after France. yes there are a few Levasseurs , only one stands out , who had a brother , whom he never spoke about , and who never visited.

Then there is also the Levasseur who worked for the French East India Company as a ship designer (is that classed as bourgeoise as wiki states.) perhaps this was his father.

or even that he might of been born in a small village on the outskirts of Calais in an area where there is a number of generations of Levasseurs living.

Then the really obscure possible is links with the areonauts family. Still, all stabs in the dark.

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #12000

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 89
It's all Greek to me!

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #12002

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello cache un rum

There has been much speculation about Olivier Le Vassuers birth date and Origin? As far as we know the only records his name was oliver was via the Dumas 1730 Document of Vassuers trial...It has never been fully substanciated that oliver was his real name and not another alias as far as I am aware?

The following document might be of interest a marriage Bann dated 1690 of a Nicolas Le vassuer born 28th November 1662. He would of been around the ideal age to father children at the time of his marriage.. If of course Oliver Le Vassuer was born around 1690 -1692?

And yes Aquanut I too are confounded by ciphers it could be swahili to me. :laugh:

Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Kanacki. Reason: correction

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 7 months ago #12015

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi Kanacki,

Thank you for the document , i shall have a better look at it after this. There are quite a few Levasseur`s in the census tables for the French Colony at Louisiana 1699 to 1732.

I agree with the issue of his name being Olivier , i think it`s louis pierre. Olivier was not a really a common name i assume back then and have only found one "Antoine Olivier" was there not talk of a switch from fathers surname to use of mothers maiden name? or is that just assumption.

Maybe this might help towards my hunch of Isla Catalina and around that area

Order [of Arquian ] and Mithon respectively governor and intendant of the coast west of Santo Domingo, fixing the price of currencies Dutch, after the supply of the ship Ruby , commissioned by Le Vasseur (No. 18 ) (8 May 1713)

I think it`s spoken of in French as "Rubis" unsure. which left France in 1712 , need to recheck.

On a completely different subject "The Firey Cross of Goa" no mention anywhere of this , so perhaps it may have come from an Indian Author who originally wrote it for his children in the 1970`s i think.
A. K. Srikumar.

cache n rum

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 6 months ago #12126

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi Kanacki,

Thought i might add the following since you mention about correct name usage, as i mention Louis (Lewis).

. Deposition of Abijah Savage, Commander of the sloop Bonetta of Antigua. Antigua, 30th Nov., 1716. On 9th Nov. between St. Thomas and St. Cruix he was overhauled and plundered by two pirate sloops, who also took a French ship and six sail of small vessels, keeping the French ship etc. One, called the Mary Anne, was commanded by Samuel Bellamy who declared himself to be an Englishman born in London, and the other, the Postillion, by Louis de Boure a Frenchman, who had his sloop chiefly navigated with men of that Nation. Each sloop was mounted with 8 guns, and had betwixt 80 or 90 men. The Mary Anne was chiefly navigated with Englishmen. Deponent was detained at St. Cruix. The pirates only wanted provisions and a ship to make a voyage.

Also

Taken from a letter by Governor Lowther , Barbadoes ,Nov 1718
“commanded by one Lew. [? de] Le Bour, a French man”

cache n rum

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 6 months ago #12139

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Cache un rum

Interesting quotation and possability. But the trouble is we have so few sources that you can exactly rely on because of spelling mis interpertations etc..

I have been toying with a theory in which I cannot exaclty prove that Oliver Le Vassuer was not his birth name as pirates tended to use aliases when it suited them. Thus the identity olivier Le Vassuer of le Buzzard was of the name he died under was recorded for history?

I suspect he was an illigitimite son of Nickolas Le Vassuer born 28/11/1662. It should be noted this information is from France.

Here is a notice of Nickolas Birth.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Kanacki. Reason: correction

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 6 months ago #12145

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi Kanacki,

Firstly , I thank you for taking the time and effort in this , i do appreciate it.

Interesting that you came up with that year , and am curious how you came to that theory. Was it originally based from some roman numerals? which is where that year pops up. But then again, that year i had down for La Buse, not his father.

My concentration on his birth place is centered around a small village 25 miles outside of Calais itself. With a slight twist that he may be protestant.

cache n rum

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 6 months ago #12225

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello cache un rum

The 1662 was stab in the dark as I am always suspicious of details in legends. An old friend of mine always preached to get to the earlest documents as legends we hear today are thin with exact details. It is those little details that can make or break a legend. The document I have found is from a family le Vassuer from Brittany in France. Possibly Brest, but to be confirmed.?

Nickolas Le Vassuer born 28/11/1662 and married in 1690. Around 1690 he had a son. He was not named oliver.Nickoloas Fredrick Le Vassuer was born in 1697. I toyed with the possability that this son might of actually been oliver Vassuer who perhaps disguised him name to hide any shame and reprocussions on his family in France.

However proving it is no east task of course.

Attachments:

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 6 months ago #12242

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi Kanacki,

Sadly / Happily am a little to rum soaked (is bottle half empty/half full , hmm) at the moment to delve further into your last post right now , yet will look more into later, nontheless i thank you for it.

Perhaps the longer route might be more fruitful by going backwards. The general view when others look into this pirate most mention "Postillion"and rarely "Blanco" but "Indian Queen" and even "Victory". But i am tempted to add "L`Aimable Marie" and "Perle".

"Blanco" was taken by Cpt Hume "Scarborough" cargo and ship was sold by Henry La Scelles in June 1718. 17 of La Buse men where jailed the other escaped.

But, for finding how he came to met Benjamin Hornygold, I think it might of been the L`Aimable Marie

1. "Copy of deposition of Joseph Eels of Port Royall, Carpenter, Dec. 20, 1716. Deponent last March sett sail on board the Mary sloop, Capt. Leigh Ashworth commander, and soon after arrived at blewfields, where they found Capt. Jennings, Capt. Carnigee and Capt. Liddal, and from thence sail'd in company with them designing for the wrecks. About six leagues from Baya Honda they spyed a sloop with two periaguas putting from her, and found her to be Capt. Young's, who told Capt. Ashworth they were two maroon periaguas, and had obliged him to tow them over from the bay of Honduras, etc. Describes boarding and capture of a French ship in the Bay of Hondo, by abovenamed. A periagua commanded by a Spaniard informed them that there was in Porto Mariel a French ship a trading, whereupon Carnigee went to seek her, but next morning the periagua which had followed him reported that Hornigold had taken the French ship, whereupon Jennings and Ashworth weighed anchor to go after them, but not being able to overtake them stood in again to the Bay, and came to an anchor, the ship being in the offing, one of the periaguas being on board ship and several of her men halled her alongside and threw the money being about 28,500 odd peices of eight into the periagua and immediately went away with it. Soon afterwards the ship came in again and acquainted Jennings and Ashworth the money was gone, and then by order of Jennings one of the periaguas was cut to peices and Young's sloop burnt. Next morning Carnigie halled aboard the ship and hoisted out of his sloope into the ship all his guns ammunition provitions and stores, and going on board with his men took the command of her without controul. Jennings, Ashworth and Carnigie weighing anchor in order to go to Providence, and coming out of the harbour Carnigee gave the Frenchmen that were left on board the ship his sloop, and then all three sail'd for Providence where arriving they shared the goods in three parts one for the owner of the three sloops, and the other two for the men. The owner's share of the goods were put on board the sloop Dolphin, and then wrote to Mr. Daniel Axtell and to his brother Jasper Ashworth. Deponent saw part of the letter, importing they had taken a ship, and that the sloop was coming with the goods taken out of the ship. Deponent, with James Spatcher, Commander of the Dolphin, delivered the above letters to Daniel Axtell, who ordered the sloop to go from Cowboy to Pigeon Island, and thence to Manatee Bay, whence deponent and others brought dry goods in a canoe from the Dolphin to Port Royal, Mr. Axtell receiving them himself into his storehouse at night. After which the sloop being seized by Fernando in Manatee Bay was sent into Port Royal Harbour, etc., etc. Signed, Joseph Eels. "

2. 408. ii. Extract of letter from Capt. Howard, H.M.S. Shoreham, to Mr. Burchett. South Carolina, 15th Sept., 1716. According to the Governour of Virginia's Orders I delivered the letters in relation to keeping the Articles of Peace at St. Augusteene, 18th May etc. The Governor and Council make there very great complaints of the sloops fitted out from Jamaica who not only fish on the wracks, but have landed and taken out of the Spaniards' possession 20,000 pieces of eight, they had saved, as likewise very considerable sumes out of all the vessels they meet who they can master, they have Comission from the Governor of Jamaica for the taking pirates, under which pretence they search the vessels, there are three of the said sloops turned pirates since. One Horngold, Jennings and Fernando who have got 200 men and are joined by a French man, there is in this harbour now three vessels that have been plundered by them, and one master whose sloop and cargoe they have taken, they have harbour at Providence, where they re-victual and clean; I would not doubt but with two small frigats or sloops more, to give a very good account of them and rout them out before they get more strength, and are better settled there.

3.. Memorial of Messrs. Bonfils et Frers, French merchants of La Rochelle. Their ship L'aimable Marie, Capt. Escoubet, sailed from La Rochelle 23rd Oct., 1714, for Cuba. After having unloaded part of her cargo at St. Dominique, she was seized by 5 sloops from Jamaica, in the port of Bayouda near the Havanna, where she had put in for wood and water. The English captains (Henry Jennings, Saml. Tiddell or Lydell, James Carnagy, Ashwood or Ashworth, and Leigh) held a commission from Governor Lord A. Hamilton, of 21st Nov., to salve among the wrecks of the Flotilla in the Gulf of Mexico. They compelled Capt. Escoubet to sign a letter to Governor Hamilton to the effect that they had taken the ship under agreement with him to pay him a certain sum for the time they kept her. They took her to the island of Providence. Her cargo was worth 250,000 livres tournois. They divided 30,000 piastres amongst themselves and the remainder of the cargo they put aboard the sloop Dauphin, which they sent with the ship to Port Royal, Jamaica. Governor Hamilton, upon information given by an officer of the French ship, sent 4 soldiers on board the sloop to guard the cargo, but the following night several masked men overpowered the soldiers and carried off all the merchandize. Two of these persons having been discovered and put in prison gave bond for £10,000 sterl. by order of the Council of Jamaica, which also ordered the ship to be restored to the proprietors in the state it was after having been completely plundered. It was sold by public auction for 4000 livres tournois, tho it cost at leaving La Rochelle 50,000. They also ordered the restitution of 1400 ounces of silver proved to have been part of her cargo. By a Minute of 22nd Sept., 1716, the Council declared that they could do no more without H.M. express directions to prosecute the sureties of the 5 captains. The Due d'Orleans has instructed us to refer to the Minister of France who is to request H.M. to give orders accordingly, and for the prosection of Daniel Axtell, Gaspard Ashwood Bendish and John Warner the prisoners referred to above, and of all others found gulity hereafter. Signed, Bonfils.

As for John Taylor coming into the story....

Co-partners for settling Bahama Islands to the Council of Trade and Plantations. Replies to queries by the Board (cf. April 21st). In April, 1716, Sam. Buck sent out 2 ships for Providence and other the Bahama Islands to view the state of that place etc., vizt. the Samuel Capt. Edwd. Hampton, and Sarah, Capt. Wm. Taylor, ships and cargoes cost £5398 15s. 4d. Upon the return of one of the ships, the other being taken by the Pirates Buck and others entered into co-partnership for settling the Islands, and applied to the Crown for a Governor, and H.M. appointed Capt. Woodes Rogers etc. In Oct. 1717 the said Copartners bought and fitted out four ships with cargoes, at a cost of £11,000. vizt. the Delitia 460 tuns, 30 guns and 90 men; the Willing Mind 300 tuns, 20 guns, and 22 men; Samuel, 135 tuns, 6 guns and 26 men; Buck sloop, 75 tuns, 6 guns, and 12 men. They entertained and sent artificers passengers and soldiers upon this expedition in April 1718, with provisions for 14 months and material for building forts etc., under convoy of three of H.M. shipps of warr etc. They found in the harbour of Nassau about 40 sail that had been carried in by the pirates either burnt or sunk. The Governor found about 700 pirates in Providence, most part of which he forced to submitt, the others made their escape with Vane etc. (v. C.S.P. Oct. 31, 1718) who continued cruizing amongst those Islands for about 8 months, destroying all vessells bound to or from Providence, in number about 38 sail, by which means and the mortallity amongst the cattle, all ye Coparners' victualls and stores were consumed for maintaining the garrison, old inhabitants, and those passengers they sent over. At the Copartners' expence of above £900, three armed sloops were fitted out who took and destroy'd above 100 of the said pirates etc. They have been obliged ever since to keep the said sloops for advice boats and defence of the outsettlemts. against pirates and Spaniards. After the fort was put into a condition of defence, the Governor permitted the two smallest ships to depart, one of which was taken by the pirates. The Willing Mind was lost in the Bahamas and the Delitia the Governor has kept ever since for a guardship at the expence of the Copartners both for victualls and wages, wch. will amount to a great many thousand pounds etc. The Copartners have also paid great part of the bounty money to the men employed in that Expedition due to them according to H.M. Proclamation for taking of pirates, an account whereof lyes before the Treasury, and for which they have yet received no manner of satisfaction, nor for maintaining above 80 Spaniards prisoners of war that they were compelled by ye Governor to keep until he could receive orders from the Secretary of State what to do with them etc. In Jan., 1719 and July 1720 they sent out the ship Samuel with provision and recruits and the ship Providence with a necessary cargo of English manufactory, and 46 recruits for the garrison raised at the expence of the Copartners, and provided with beds and cloths, and in Dec. following the ship Bahama Gally with a proper cargo etc. The ship Althea burthen 400 tuns, 30 guns and 60 men is now at Gravesend ready to depart with a very rich cargo of woollen goods etc. As most of the present Copartners have for many years past been considerable traders to the West Indies, Virginia etc., they willingly came in to give their labour, and advance their money without any stock-jobbing advantage, well knowing of what great importance ye Bahama Islands were to ye Brittish Nation as well in peace as in warr, for defence and offence if well settled, and that if they were again deserted would become a sanctuary for pirates etc. The number of people they have sent out amount to 580, besides those now going in the Althea. In March, 1720 when the Spaniards came to attack Providence, the Copartners' Agent delivered out of their stores musketts, swords etc., to above 700 men, and found their provisions most part of the time. By the last accounts, Fort William at Nassau had 66 guns mounted, and at Walkers Point and another battery on the said Island 16 guns more, and on Harbour Island a fort of 12 guns, all which have been rebuilt and provided at the charge of the said partners etc., and the inhabitants had built above 100 houses in the town of Nassau, besides many outsettlements. There had been expended upon building Fort William only between 25th July, 1718 and 25th May, 1719, as pr. accot. signed pr. Governor Rogers and Councell £11344, besides the assistance of the inhabitants who were furnished with provisions. The money already actually paid for carrying on this settlement amots. to £90,000. Wages due to seamen and servants cannot be certainly known till the arrival of the next ships from thence but is computed at £10,108. The charges of 86 men on board the Delitia at £4 10s. pr. month pr. man is £387 pr. month for two years to 27th May, 1721.
In respect of their factors and agents, the Copartners conceive themselves under insuperable difficultys, since any of them who are accountable to ye Copartnership may take collusive discharges from some of the partners, wch. they apprehend will be a good and suffitient barr against any claim from the rest of the partners, or at least involve them in unspeakable trouble to come at their right. And in regard their dealings are proposed to be very extensive, they apprehend it very precarious to trust to the bare vertue of their agents, factors and partners, when they have such a temptation before them, well knowing the Copartners can't call'em to an accot. unless incorporated by Charter etc. They conceive they cannot in their present capacity call in any money from their partners, or accept or transferr shares without subjecting themselves to the penaltys in the late Act of Parliament. Without endless expence, and uncertainty, they cannot now either implead, or be impleaded, but each acting member in his private capacity is lyable to many vexatious law suits, etc. Merchants will enter more freely into engagements with a Corporation etc. In regard to the settlement of new country, it's impossible to be done in any other manner then by giving large creditt to newcomers for tools, stores, negroes and other necessarys to carry on their plantations, wch. it will be many years before the inhabitants can repay out of the produce of the land, as the Copartners have found by experience, they having lent at least three pounds sterling pr. head for 7 years to each person at their first going on board in England, and have been obliged to supply them ever since with provision, tools, cloaths, etc., all which charge can no otherwise be supported but by a Corporation, wth. a large joint stock etc. Offer to advance a sufficient sum for the settlement of the Island in five years after they shall be incorporated, and to carry out 50 or 100 tons of stores for the Government annually gratis etc., and to forfeit their Charter when they cease to send out annually for 3 years 1000 tuns of shipping. Their object being to trade and clear the Islands of pirates, and not stock jobbing (they hope the bill depending in Parliament will destroy that wicked practice), they are willing that none of their Adventurers may be permitted to transferr any shares unless they have been six months in his own name in the Companys books etc., etc. Propose that all privileges and advantages formerly granted by King Charles II may be confirmed in this present Charter and all wrecks lying within latitudes of 22 to 27 degrees North. As the Governor is appointed by the Crown, we can not doubt but H.M. will supply all things needfull for the support and defence of a place of such consequence to the trade of Great Britain, for when the Spaniards lately attack't them, about 20 sail of shipps of severall nations took sanctuary in the Harbour of Providence etc. The said Islands extending from the Gulf of Florida to the Windward Passage, through one of which all shipps bound to Europe from Carthagena, Portabello, Campeachy, La Vera Crux, Jamaica, Hispaniola or Havanna must pass, if Turks Islands and the Caucasses at this time uninhabited, and under no English Government were putt into their Charter, it would be impossible for any pirates to harbour there in time of peace, or shipps to pass in time of warr without their knowledge, and enable the Company effectually to supply New England, Newfoundland, and all the Northern Collonies with salt, and might open a trade for Brittish woollen and other manufactures

And also add into the equation Howell Davis noted for taking the "Buck"

So, from the French archives we could break down his path to when he left France. The inbetwenny (birth til sail) may be an issue.

The ultimate goal is what he hid. I have what he gave the Church as a gesture.

BUT, the ultimate goal (for me) is what he left, his closure , his guilt , (could not bring himself to destroy). I think the ultimate thing is even though he left a cryptogram is what happened to the "Nossa Senhora Do Cabo" (re-christened the "Perle")

Acording to Johnson . the "Victory" was burnt for being leaky. "Fancy" was given to McRae. What of the "Cabo"? She was taken to St Augustine for a re-fit. So the question that arises is what happened to her? From the sources given , nothing is mentioned of her. The "Victory" is burnt. The " Cassandra" is taken to the west Indies , and a commission is taken by John Taylor (William Taylor on records) to the Spanish. So what happened to the "Cabo"? (nobody takes the effort to re-fit a ship and simply destroy, thereafter?) So what happened to her?) ;)

That is the quest, once the history of the man is done and an understanding has been made only then can what he left be revealed.

As for my mention of "Perle" at start of post, this is for proof of authenticity of "potential originality" (there are other ways) Many have dismissed a certain photo , which looks like a fake, and i am attempting to dispel fake or real. At present i am inclined to say real. (The source was available online , but has since been removed by site owner) From which i based my hunches on another topic on this site. )

At risk of looking like a real muppet , am inclined to say that the "Perle" from the above mentioned is a "re-naming" of a vessel "Nossa Senhora Do Cabo". Purely because from other logical breakdowns...Benjamin Hornygold took a vessel called " Pearl" The earlier "Le Vasseur 1600`s was aboard a vessel called the "Pearl" when killed. There is another reason for "Pearl" but need files to confirm. So the reasonable assumption of "Cabo" being "Perle" is looking good. (dependant on IF you understand the cryptogram) The rest , well, you would think i was insane if i typed it in here. As for originality of the photo , there is no reason to have "perle" under a vessel unless it had real meaning, and not just for a previous aquaintance.

Cache n Rum.

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 6 months ago #12244

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
addition , in my view i think what La Buse AND John Taylor did happen whilst they relaxed around "Spirto Sancto River" where to there surprise found a Dutch Fort. Maputo Bay, formerly called "Lorenco Marques" on coast of Mozambique. Dutch E.I.C. built a fort there in 1720. called "Lijdzaamheid/ Lydsaamheid" and was governed by Opper Hoofd , chief factor. John Taylor was there Apr-June 1722 as was La Buse. I believe this was when they did there thing. (there time there is confirmed by Jacob Bouquoy and his narrative. {taken prisioner previously}
In summary , i think he/they hid their haul/s between Apr / June 1722 and it took 6 days to position/sort.

Again, just an opinion/assumption, like many others.

cache n rum.

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 6 months ago #12320

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Note to self<<< time to shut my mouth. (or don`t drink rum)
Either way hope you all enjoy a fresh perspective on this legend.. Albeit somewhat haphazardly.

Cache n Rum.

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 5 months ago #12555

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Cahe And Rum

It has been very interesting I hope you have more to add.

Hint Hint. :laugh:

Kanacki

Re: Find my treasure who can? 5 years 5 months ago #12619

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi Kanacki,

One last piece , the following link is to "Le Mecure" 1722

books.google.fr/books/about/Mercure_de_France.html?hl=fr&id=fZRQAAAAYAAJ

This gives you an account of the viceroy`s voyage on the "Nossa Senhora do Cabo" from leaving Goa , which also brings out the character of the man himself ,it`s troubles with damage caused by the storms , what was damaged , number of guns thrown over board, and location along it`s journey , how the Viceroy went on land and the Archbishop stayed aboard due to a damaged foot and even the details of when the pirates came , boarded and details of taking the Ostender which showed up a day after , and how they moved west round the coast as well. It also includes info on pirate Condent who appears to have been on the other side of the island at the time.
He later left the island with his new wife in tow the same time as the Viceroy did aboard the "Triton" bound for France (passenger list still exists) , where via other sources he became a successful merchant in his own right. Just gotta know your French in order to understand it.

What might be interesting is that the general rule if i read correctly via other sources , was that any royalty or dignitaries travelling where due to have a set amount of escort to accompany them , this appears to not be the case in this instance. Even the inventories of what was being shipped had laxed over that period.

There is even a suggestion , again via other sources , that the "Cabo" was travelling or within days of another vessel , which was carrying gifts from the Emperor of China for the King of Portugal. This i believe was the wreckage that was found strewn on the beach as found by Commodore Thomas Matthews. (this can be backed up via a few sources , well strongly suggestive of)
The gifts were to help aid talks for opening up direct trade between China and Portugal. Even though the King of Portugal never received the gifts he returned the gesture a few years later , whilst sending out a new Viceroy Ambassador to China , of which a detail of the reception they received on arrival in China is also documented.

As for the "Princess de Noaillies" taken by the pirates and mentioned in charges against La Buse, that appears to have been let go , unless there are two of same name , as she can be found picking up passengers in the West Indies shortly after and bound for France.

That`s your lot. :)

cache n rum
  • Page:
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate