Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(214 Viewing)  (214) Guest

TOPIC: Guatemala calls on France to stop illegal antiquities auction

Guatemala calls on France to stop illegal antiquities auction 6 years 4 months ago #11452

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 167
Guatemala calls on France to stop illegal antiquities auction

GUATEMALA CITY - Guatemala called on France to stop a private auction scheduled for next week in Paris, in a lot of Latin American antiquities, including thirteen of the ancient Mayan culture from the Central American country, officials said.

The Guatemalan Ministry of Culture said in a statement that the embassy of the country in France formally asked the Parisian authorities "intervene" for the auction house Sotheby's is scheduled to perform on 22 and 23 March next be suspended because the pieces that aims to sell are legitimate property of the Guatemalan state.

The pieces that Sotheby's plans to auction, about 300 in all from the Barbier Mueller Museum of Barcelona ​​which closed its doors earlier this year, and according to the Guatemalan authorities possessed illegally.

"The State of Guatemala expects French authorities involving the auction and enforce the requests made by the Latin American countries involved, and you cannot allow private collectors unlawfully enrich themselves at the expense of American pre-Hispanic cultural heritage" the ministry said.

The claim that Guatemala runs, "is based on the Guatemalan legal rules protecting cultural heritage, which constitutionally prohibits the sale or export of those goods that make up the cultural heritage such as archaeological," he added.

"The tenure of the 13 archaeological Guatemalan holders by Barbier Muller Collection cannot be considered legal, and according to law, under the description given by the owners of the collection pieces are credited to from Guatemalan Mayan Culture."

Artifacts that Sotheby's plans to auction come from archaeological sites in Mexico, Central and South America.

Courtesy Emisoras Unidas
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Guatemala calls on France to stop illegal antiquities auction 6 years 4 months ago #11466

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 400
:laugh: Looks to me like Spain is on the other end of the stick this time. Stolen from Mexico, South and Central America and Guatamala, taken to Spain and now being sold in France? It belongs to Guatamala, Mexico and other Central and South American countries, Spain should have to return it. :laugh:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!

Re: Guatemala calls on France to stop illegal antiquities auction 6 years 4 months ago #11482

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello all

I kinda of agree with you whitefeather.

But I must admit it is complex and sticky issue. 80% of what is in western countries musuems would fall into that catagory under todays international laws...

kanacki

Re: Guatemala calls on France to stop illegal antiquities auction 6 years 3 months ago #11594

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 167
Despite the requests from the governments of Mexico, Guatemala, Peru and Costa Rica for French authorities to halt the auction.
The auction went ahead this weekend as scheduled with the sale of only 148 of the 313 lots of the collection put up on the auction block. Sotheby's reports that the 148 lots sold for a total of $13,330,002 a world record for a sale of Pre-Columbian Art at auction.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Guatemala calls on France to stop illegal antiquities auction 3 years 4 months ago #16693

• HarrySnyder
I have heard about this auction, since one of my friend was present there during that auction. He suggested me a weblink to get more information on convention collective gratuite.

Guatemala calls on France to stop illegal antiquities auction 3 years 4 months ago #16697

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 400
:woohoo: 13.3 Million! :woohoo: How would you like the commission on that? I'd like it in $100 bills, Thank You Very much! :lol:

Hummmm, sounds like we should find it, recover it and.................... I'll have to think the next move over real careful. :S :whistle:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate