Welcome, Guest
(98 Viewing)  (98) Guest

TOPIC: The Chesapeake Bay

The Chesapeake Bay 8 years 4 months ago #645

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 397
Ahoy Y'All,
I lived in, near and around Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay for many years. I have detected from the upper reaches of the Bay to Norfolk and beyond. I know lots of places both ashore and out on the Bay for detecting, camping, swimming, fishing, crabbing, anchoring and lots of other activities. I was a waterman for quite a few years and have lived on the Old Eastern Shore in Exmore, Birdsnest, Cherriton, Eastville, Cape Charles and Seaview Crossroads. I know of shipwrecks, old beaches, swimming holes, campgrounds, forgotten amusement parks and many other sites.
If you are looking for some new sites in your area to hunt or possibly to research I may be able to help. If I can not help I may know someone who can come up with something out of the ordinary. I'll be glad to help if I can.
At this time I am in southwest Florida aboard our 57 foot boat. I am looking forward to getting back out and going detecting and traveling very soon. We will start down here in Florida and slowly work our way up the east coast and into the Chesapeake Bay. I will be searching the beaches and dive sites from the water side but from time to time will even go ashore to visit some of the dozens of old sites and many old friends I have hunted with those many years ago. Anyhow, if you are in the area of The Chesapeake Bay I look forward to possibly hearing of your hunts and finds. B)

Come on Marylanders, get detecting, talk to us and post some finds from the Free State.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Chesapeake Bay 8 years 4 months ago #646

• Au_Dreamers
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 3
You Sir are living the dream!!!!!

Re: The Chesapeake Bay 8 years 4 months ago #650

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Aye, that we are! Some people wanted the house, cars and land stuff. We wanted to wander, fish, swim, dive and search for treasure. So, we got rid of everything that required dirt under it and sailed away. As soon as the wife's health problem is fixed we will be heading back out into the sunshine and crystal clear waters to get back to the fun things in life. Just decide what you want and get rid of anything that does not belong in that world. Sooner or later you will find yourself doing what you really love. To many land toys get you land locked. To many water toys and you find that land dwellers scare you. :laugh: This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Going for ice. We have since added a full sized fridge and chest freezer but I still like to go for ice. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 8 years 4 months ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: The Chesapeake Bay 3 years 5 months ago #16441

• scuba steve
  • Treasure Hobbyist
hey white, i'm a recent transplant to the area, living in chesapeake beach. I came from Okinawa japan. I'm a dive instructor and a tech diver, and i did a lot of archelogical dives on WW2 sites throughout the pacific. Well now i'm here and don't really know much, but i'm looking for my next adventure. a point in the right direction would be great, if you have the time. hope all is well. take it easy.
Steve

The Chesapeake Bay 3 years 5 months ago #16444

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Ahoy Steve, Welcome Aboard! I have a lot of information on the Bay and a lot of historic events on and around the Chesapeake that will be of much interest to you. Right now I am short on time but I will get some information together for you. Chesapeake Beach is a real nice area. Don't judge the entire Bay's waters by what you see local. Clear water is plentiful in many areas of the Bay. I know areas where I could see my anchor drop all the way to the bottom in 40 to 80 feet. Also, along the shorelines and inland along the Old Eastern Shore are a lot of sites from the Civil War and early history of the Chesapeake. There are wrecks from the Revolutionary War all over the Bay. I will get some information together to send to you in a few days. I also have information on areas to search where there was major Hurricane damage from the early 1960's, When I get the information together I will get your mailing address. Talking to some of the local old timers is also a way to find some search areas. Former recreational beach and camping sites from many years ago that no longer exist are also a good thing. In the water along state park swimming spots are good. You will have less problems if you go offshore by boat. A lot of spots are not real accessible from land that has been changed to private and State Parks and such. I dove many sites without problems but that was many years ago.

Meantime, Have fun and Welcome Aboard TreasureWorks.

There are many, many known wrecks along the Bay.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 3 years 5 months ago by WhiteFeather.

The Chesapeake Bay 3 years 5 months ago #16466

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Steve, I haven't run across my notebook and Chesapeake Bay wreck location list yet. I have a lot to do at the shop and may be a few days before finding the stuff. I do remember a few of the search areas that I dove in the northern Bay but the southern region will be of more use to you. The Bay is 200 miles long, or there about, and there are a few pretty deep holes but most of the Bay averages about 30 feet or less. Easy diving when the water is clear. I even used to dive in winter and when the Bay had ice on the water. That was back when I was young and had dry suits and heat in my suits. Early on I had a hard hat system but it was stolen when I lived down on the lower Eastern Shore.

Check on Civil War engagement spots, prisoner of war camps and regular Army camps on both sides. Also remember that several battles will have more than one name depending on which side you are looking at. Same place and battle but different names. The area around the Bay is one of the oldest as far as settlers are concerned. The earliest settlers went up into the Bay. Just to your south is the Outer Banks. Another early settlement area. Also, don't forget that the entire area was known for a lot of pirate activity. Legend has it that there is a pirate treasure buried along the Chester River about mid-Bay on the eastern side. It is supposed to be on a cliff under three large pine trees.

There was a prisoner of war camp on the lower end of Cape Charles somewhere near Townsend if I remember right. There was also an Air Force base at the bottom of the peninsula the might be worth looking into. The Eastern Shore settlements date way back into the late 1600's. and much older. I have found grave markers dating back that far and beyond when out deer hunting back in the late 70's. Long forgotten and over grown by sizable forest growth. Offshore you may find several wrecks close to shore and in pretty clear water. Do watch out for jellyfish and sharks. Especially around the cement ship breakwater down near Kiptopeke on the Bay side. Great diving and fishing all along the shoreline on Bay side and Ocean side.

Crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is an awesome trip. It is a must do as soon as you get a chance. Take the family along and stop at the restaurant and gift shop at the rest area. There is also a fishing pier that is real nice.

I hope that information helps for now. I will keep looking for my books and charts. I have several wreck dives marked on my Chesapeake Bay chart book along with some information on the dive and areas. If I run across the charts I will copy them and get your email so I can send them to you.

This picture was from Cutty Sark Marina back around 1984 in Ocean View. Our boat's name was "Damphool Two" . "Roger that, this is the Damphool Captain requesting a bridge opening." :lol:

This picture was Taken off of the Chester River entrance in the background about 1985.

Good Hunting,
White Feather

The Chesapeake Bay 3 years 5 months ago #16502

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Ahoy Steve, I haven't found my information so I went on Google Earth and looked up one of my old dive sites that also has some hits on the nearby beach. I used to pick up old French coins after heavy storms along the beach on Jenny Island, MD, on the Old Eastern Shore or the Delmarva Peninsula as it is also called. The coins would wash up along the bayside of the island. Old stories I heard told of a French ship that was lost in a storm heading into the cut near Bloodsworth Island. I think the ship went in at Jenny Island and the cut was miss-identified due to the storm and things that go on when a ship is floundering. There were very few survivors but legend has it that it was a French payroll ship sent to pay the French soldiers helping in the Revolutionary War. Bloodsworth Island is just a short jump south of Jenny Island. I looked the location up with Google Earth and got the co-ordinates of; 30 degrees 13' 38.86" N and 76 degrees 03' 45.62" W. This location may not be exact but it is very, very close. I saw no signs of a shipwreck but a shallow spot does appear on the local Chesapeake Bay charts and coins matching the story have been found along the beach. The channel just off the beach is very dangerous due to heavy boat traffic and also has near zero visibility. Strong currents are present when the tide is running in or out. Slack water is only good for about 1 1/2 hours between changing tides. I would watch very carefully if you intend to dive out from the beach. Staying near shore will still turn up a coin now and again and along the beach. Don't take for granted that boaters going in or out of the channel know or even care what a dive flag is. I have had boaters run between my boat and dink and even run across my anchor line. Be careful if you dive there. I would try the beach until you get to know the area and boat traffic.

Good Luck,
White Feather

The Chesapeake Bay 3 years 5 months ago #16503

• scuba steve
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Hey white, sorry its been a minute. I spent some time being sick and then finally getting to the mile long honey do list. as well i'm still trying to finish the winterization of our new house, as well as wiring in the generator.
But I just read through all the info you've put up on here. all good stuff. i thank you for that. I'm gonna go ahead and start doing some studying up as well as driving out and visiting some of these sites so i can start gauging what i can get away with with my current equipment.
as far as diving that last location, i'll have to wait till i find a partner with a boat. or i can con my buddy with his said boat to get me where i want to be.
but thank you again. i really appreciate it!

The Chesapeake Bay 3 years 5 months ago #16510

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Okay Steve, here are a few other locations and some other ideas. These are good for detecting along the beaches and such and all are known productive areas that are within an hour or two of Norfolk and Virginia Beach, Most are up on the Eastern Shore. First I would suggest Assateague Island. This is a long known wreck site that still provides a few surprises from time to time. The Island lies right on the Virginia and Maryland border on the Atlantic side of the Shore. As I remember, the Island is about 35 miles long and really takes the brunt of some of the nastiest storms that often hit the ocean side od the Eastern Shore. This makes for some really good detecting after some of the real nasty Nor-Easters that blow down the coast. There are lots of sandbars and shoals all along the coast and many, many ships have met their end along the coast. Often the remains of these ships can be seen as the storms uncover them and then recover them with sand. Back when I was hunting the island there were not a lot of people living along the island. This is also part of the area known as "The Graveyard of the Atlantic. " due to the large number of shipwrecks along it's shores.

Another area worth looking into is Chincoteague Island Virginia. Inhabited mostly by wild horses, arguably of Spanish decent known as Chincoteague Ponies. The island runs along the coast along with Assateague Island. This entire area was well know as a pirate hangout with such notables as Blackbeard, Captain Kidd and Charles Wilson all having been suspected of hiding treasure along these coastal regions. You often hear many versions of treasure left and lost along the coast of these two islands and, indeed, the entire Graveyard of the Atlantic. Google it and watch what comes up. Imaginations run wild along the Eastern Shore and Outer Banks. The entire area was supposed to be the summer hunting grounds of many pirates. Between them and the coastal storms that spring up without warning I would suppose that anything is possible.

It would also do nicely for you to get a pair of nice heavy chest waders. You want them big enough so you can put some nice warm clothing under them. Walking the shallows along the shoreline in winter is cold but good because the tides are usually much lower in winter after the October high waters. Just watch for drop-offs. Waders full of water can pull you down pretty quick. If you are searching along a beach and find anything of interest you will want to go into the water as far out as you can safely go. You never know what might be waiting for you to pick it up. :woohoo: I once found something in the Bay but if I tell you much about it I will have to deny it all. :lol: Just know that there are treasures out there that need to be found to be believed.

The area along the north and west shore of Bloodsworth Island would deserve some attention if you ever get up there with a boat. That is just below Jenny Island on the east side of the Bay. Off shore would be best if you get to dive it. Close to shore. Just a thought.....

No matter whether it is old or new, every wreck has something....

Moderators: Salvor6