Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(1320 Viewing)  (1320) Guest

TOPIC: Come on Virginia Talk to us

Come on Virginia Talk to us 8 years 6 months ago #686

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 400
Hey Virginians, Whatcha doin' up there? I know you have some of the nicest hunting and miles of beach wrecks. Talk to us. All the treasure finds are not in Florida. I had a farm on the Old Eastern Shore for several years. I hunted all over the Shore and know there are lots of really old sites. A lot from the Civil War and back to the Revolutionary war. I hunted the Bay and along the Graveyard of the Atlantic. The mountains are beautiful but I would think pretty snow covered right now. Still, there's the beaches and the Eastern Shore. It seldom snows over there and when it does it usually melts pretty quick. Quit waiting for us to post treasure. Go to some of the Civil War camps, POW Camps or just some old homesteads. Post us something! B) We're waiting! This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Come on Virginia Talk to us 8 years 4 months ago #1745

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) Okay, here it is almost April. Time to get out and do some beach and old site hunting. I know it is still to cold to get in the water for most hunters but there is treasure waiting out there. It is also just a short drive to the outerbanks and some serious shipwreck sites on the shoreline. How about the Old Eastern Shore? What are you hunters doing around the Shore? I know there are some clubs out there and lots of old sites to hunt. I speak of the shore mostly because I lived there for many years and hunted all along the Bay and ocean side. How about you hunters up along the James or York rivers? :woohoo: pirme areas!

I was living near Cape Charles and hunted all over the Eastern Shore back in the 70's and found lots of very old artifacts, coins and junk. I even found an old sword and remains of a percussion pistol and an old mason jar of coins and paper bills from around the late 30's around Birdsnest, some coins on an old homesite near Exmore and a lot of relics near Oyster. Seaview Crossroads is where I lived and hunted some yards around houses from the late 1700's. Slave shackels, coins, wagon wheel hubs, some buttons and also a few window weights were amoung some of my finds. Even with finding mostly junk I know there is something out there that is waiting for some lucky hunter. How about all the real old homesteads from when the people didn't trust or have banks? Think of all the mason jars burried on the shore where the owners died without relating the location of burried savings to their kids.

It is getting into spring. The flowers are starting to bloom and the grass is turning green. Trees are budding and the weeds are soon going to be taking over the woods so it will be harder to get deep into where the old stuff may be hiding. Get going before it gets really thick and you can not get into the deep woods. There were a lot of old homes on the Shore long before it became populated with so many towns. Get the old maps out and get going.

Then, come back here and tell us about it! We're sitting here waiting to see your posts and treasures! :woohoo:

Re: Come on Virginia Talk to us 6 years 5 months ago #11393

• NO-ICE
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Yea man new Virginian on the board!! I used to live in Cape Charles myself. 2 years, from 97-99.. would not mind taking a trip back over to that side accept for that damn bridge toll!! Now in Norfolk.. Know there has got to be some quality hunting around here as well. Just gotta find the spots. Will keep you up as we hunt. Going somewhere today.

Re: Come on Virginia Talk to us 6 years 5 months ago #11445

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) NO-ICE, check out the beach area where the old ammusement park was in Ocean View. I had a lot of luck there even though it had been many years since the park was removed. The park that was there might be off limits but the beach and water is still detectable. The public beach section down around the Little Creek entrance is also a good spot. Off the beach all the way along Ocean View from the Little Creek entrance all the way to Willoghby Spit is good because wreckage from Bayside wrecks is often driven south during the Noreasters coming down the Bay and some interesting artifacts have been found all along the coast from the Bay Bridge Tunnel to the spit. Check it out. :woohoo:

Re: Come on Virginia Talk to us 6 years 5 months ago #11447

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 31
Welcome aboard, No-Ice!
I lived in Hayes, VA just NW of Gloucester Point for a while. Lots of sites around there and Yorktown. Many battlefields.
Strangest place I ever lived though. We were on Cedarbush Creek right across the river from the Naval Supply Center Cheatham Annex which is right next door to the "Farm" that the CIA operates (Camp Peary). Those folks are liable to start shooting .50 cal's at midnight with a dark moon. Pretty surprising the first time you hear it on a still night.
We'd go to the boat ramp and run into SEALS from Little Creek then leave the dock and run into a herd of Coast Guard folks from the USCG Training Center right down the river. You have to feel well protected, though.
There are a lot of little very old towns on both sides of the York River that I think would be good spots but I never saw another guy with an MD on the North side of the York in the 16 months we were there.
Again, welcome and enjoy!
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.

Re: Come on Virginia Talk to us 6 years 5 months ago #11486

• NO-ICE
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Appreciate the info fellas. I am going to check them out. Probably start down in OV first. I found a new site last week close to my house on the Elizabeth River. First target I dug was an 1857 Flying Eagle Cent. my oldest coin yet. Then I proceeded to dig 10+ Old Buttons. DId some research and looks like they are yankee buttons.. Found one that looks like an 1820 New York malitia button. Found a few flat buttons that have the imperial london standart backmarks too. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by NO-ICE.

Re: Come on Virginia Talk to us 6 years 5 months ago #11487

• NO-ICE
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Appreciate the info fellas. I am going to check them out. Probably start down in OV first. I found a new site last week close to my house on the Elizabeth River. First target I dug was an 1857 Flying Eagle Cent. my oldest coin yet. Then I proceeded to dig 10+ Old Buttons. DId some research and looks like they are yankee buttons.. Found one that looks like an 1820 New York malitia button. Found a few flat buttons that have the imperial london standart backmarks too. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by NO-ICE.
Moderators: Salvor6