Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(109 Viewing)  (109) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Put me to work

Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8741

Hello Reader,

I'm a recent Psychology graduate from the UK.
I want to help hunt treasure in the Bahamas.

I'm new to this forum and have joined because I'm a little bit lost about how to go about becoming a treasure finder.

If anyone has any advice on how I can join a crew when the ban lifts it would be much appreciated.
I have no qualms about hopping on a plane and begging around for a job if it comes to it, but I'd prefer to have a bit of a plan!

Either post on here or email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks!
Francesca

N.B. I realise the appalling naivity of this post so please post back with helpful comments... I do not need to be made aware of my lack of knowledge/experience etc.
Not all treasure is silver and gold.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by GreenhornGirl.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8742

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 109
Tommy,
You think Debbie will let me go after a Bahamas contract after she sees this post?
Aquanut

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8744

Aquanut....What do you mean?
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by GreenhornGirl.

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8745

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 170
LOL, I think my friend Aquanut was just referring your beautiful profile picture.

Welcome aboard GreenhornGirl, happy that you found our website. Several folks from this site have submitted applications for Permits in the Bahamas, so stay tuned for further updates as we wait for the politicians in Nassau to give the go ahead. Once folks are approved, then its just a matter of linking up with the folks lucky enough to win. I understand that they will only approve 4 permits to start with.

again, welcome aboard!

Tommy
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8746

Hi Tommy!

LOL Thanks for clearing that up.
And thanks very much from the advice. Should I just keep an eye on the "bahamas" part of the forum for that info then? Or is there a discussion I should be keeping tabs on?

Thanks also for the warm welcome - it really is a lovely site!

Francesca

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8747

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 170
Francesca, I'm glad you like the site. Here is a link Bahamas Information to another discussion about the Bahamas you can watch, or just keep an eye out on the recent discussions tab. Once things open up I'm sure it will be a hot topic.
I would not mind heading back to the Bahamas once again, but I'm having a good tome down here in Honduras right now.

Tommy
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by wreckdiver.

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8748

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Tommy is right on! My wife is used to me going out on the water with a bunch of not so pretty guys and that's been O.K. with her. I can just see her face if she thought that you were one of the crew! LOL.
Aquanut

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8749

Tommy,
Thanks :D that's really helpful! Hopefully I can land a place on one of them! I'm glad you are enjoying Hondouras and can't wait to see your posts about what's going on down there!

Francesca

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8750

Aquanut,

LOL I'll take that as a compliment but hopefully my gender won't hinder my chances at getting a job among the "not so pretty" guys! LOL
and I can assure you your wife would have absolutely nothing at all to worry about haha I'd only be there for the find.

Francesca

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8751

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 46
Welcome to the forum, Francesca!

You should find the psychology of treasure hunting a refreshing change... :lol:

Perhaps these fellows need to consider what a real asset you could be to their operations.....

m.npr.org/story/140816037?url=/2011/09/27/140816037/how-psychology-solved-a-wwii-shipwreck-mystery

Good luck and good hunting! :)

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8752

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
GG,
I'm sure you would be an asset to whatever group you wind up on. I'm thinking I might lose my concentration on what I was doing! LOL
Aquanut

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8753

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 46
LOL! :laugh:

Then again, you might have to fit them with blinders.....(or find an able woman captain)... ;)

She did say she wanted to become a treasure finder, Aquanut, lol.

Hope you find the treasure that you seek, Francesca. B)

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8756

• Dell Winders
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 26
Hi Greenhorn girl.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't want to be discouraging, but the problem with hiring you on a salvage boat, or any other work in the Bahamas, would require obtaining a work permit for you. Unless you have a sponsor, and a required job skill that a Bahamian cannot do, the Government will not issue a work permit.

They don't make it easy, or inexpensive. Dell
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Dell Winders.

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8759

OK OK PBSRW#! so what happened after they submitted their findings - guesses - to the foundation ?? I assume they then found the Sidney, but?

Don Jose de lLa Mancha
" I EXIST TO LIVE, NOT LIVE TO EXIST"

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8760

G'Morning Francesca La Britland bro----err gal. First you have to go with PBSRW#! and I to the patio for a fresh, cool, limeade, where we can watch the Humming birds play in the fountain

As for your 'former' chosen profession, you couldn't pick a bettter, or more logical place, to continue your studies., There is Dell, long overdue, , el Feather, best to keep quiet, , Aquanut, who mainly thinks of fiestas in Florida, , and lastly, and probably more in need of your professional services, El Don Jose.

While he is a handsome, devil may care, adventurous, loveable, brilliant genius - I will back that up if you have any questions - he has never succumbed to poking around in a pile of rotting timbers ,guarded by hungry sharks, surrounded by a group of hairy, whiskery, beer guzzling, guys.

Admittedly he has tried unsuccessfully to lure Judy to co-occupy his meditating cave at the end of the road, sigh, still being OIRISH, he will not give up.

Err??? if unsuccessful, are you interested in lost Jesuit gold mines and a very comfortable cave, absolutely free of spiders, thanks to Judy.???

Sigh, in any event "Bien venidos Senorita Francesca" Ready for that limeade in ole sunny Mexico?

Don Jose de La Mancha

"I exist to Live, not live to exist"
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Don Jose de La Mancha.

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8763

• Bill-USA
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 9
Not the Bahamas, but there are companies under contract to the crown to do specific recoveries.

Why not try to land a job as one or the people involved in monitoring these recoveries on behalf of the UK? This would get your foot in the door of a real treasure recovery experience, teach you a lot about the day to day operations of true treasure finders, and give you exposure to people who might be able to further your aspirations of Bahamian locations and finds.

Probably a lot easier activity from your current location than landing an active position for a working situation in the Bahamas, given your current level of knowledge.

With a year or two experience in actual recovery monitoring and the knowledge you gain doing that I think it would be much easier to get the position you're looking for.

Best of luck though either way.
Dump a democrat!

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8822

Hi Bill,
That's a really useful suggestion! It's definitely good to know a way to get onto the first rung of the ladder.

Thank you :D I really appreciate it and I will look into this. But if you have any other suggestions or advice please please let me know!

Francesca

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8823

Hi Don Jose de la Mancha :D

Thanks for introducing yourself.
I am definitely one of those who actually enjoy poking around in a pile of rotting timbers and I LOVE sharks... although hungry ones slightly less.
Caves are less my thing (unless underwater of course)- how can a pile of timber put you off but you are okay with confined spaces and creepy crawlies? But yes I am interested! Treasure's treasure and a hunt is a hunt!! And I do love limeade.

But first, a quick question (which may reveal my startling shade of green).... what is "PBSRW#!"?????

Francesca

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8824

Judy,

Thanks for the solidarity! Much appreciated :D It seems treasure hunting is a bit of a boys club, no? I'd love to hear more about what you do/ how you got into it! If you have time would you mind messaging me? The story behind your profile picture must be an interesting one!!!

Also that link was fascinating - that kind of cognitive mapping takes years but I'm sure there must be a quicker and easier way to do it.... and maybe even a way without witness reports. I'm seeing my old cognitive psychology lecturer next week so I will discuss it with him :D

Best wishes,
Francesca

Re: Put me to work 7 years 3 months ago #8825

Hi Dell,

Thank you very much :D
It's not discouraging at all. It's important that I know all of the facts and what is and isn't possible for me to achieve. I'm not even at the very beginning of this journey yet and your advice is really appreciated.
Would you mind explaining a couple of things to me? I have some questions.

The expense isn't an issue - from what I can see its around $200 dollars all in to get a permit application in, which isn't refundable if you don't get the permit. That's okay as I have some savings to cover it.

As for the job skill, would my degree and a sub aqua qualification count? And if not, is there anything else I can get under my belt to help?

Also, what I really need to know is who this sponsor would need to be? Would it be my prospective employer? And if so, any advice on how I would go about convincing somebody to give me a chance?

I appreciate your welcome and would be very grateful on any answers you could give me if you have some time!

Best wishes,
Francesca
  • Page:
Moderators: Salvor6