• Page:

TOPIC: Put me to work

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8830

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 46
GreenhornGirl wrote:
Judy,

Thanks for the solidarity! Much appreciated :D It seems treasure hunting is a bit of a boys club, no? I'd love to hear more about what you do/ how you got into it! If you have time would you mind messaging me? The story behind your profile picture must be an interesting one!!!

Also that link was fascinating - that kind of cognitive mapping takes years but I'm sure there must be a quicker and easier way to do it.... and maybe even a way without witness reports. I'm seeing my old cognitive psychology lecturer next week so I will discuss it with him :D

Best wishes,
Francesca

You're welcome, GG.....and while it is a man's world predominantly, there are many women in the field. Take Taffi for instance.....and if you take a gander at the Treasurehunters Cookout photos (posted elsewhere on the forum) you will see another very successful lady treasurehunter and captain who posts here on occasion. ;)

Glad to add another lady to the boards....best of luck to you!
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by JudyH.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8833

• Dell Winders
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 26
JudyH wrote:
GreenhornGirl wrote:
Judy,

Thanks for the solidarity! Much appreciated :D It seems treasure hunting is a bit of a boys club, no? I'd love to hear more about what you do/ how you got into it! If you have time would you mind messaging me? The story behind your profile picture must be an interesting one!!!

Also that link was fascinating - that kind of cognitive mapping takes years but I'm sure there must be a quicker and easier way to do it.... and maybe even a way without witness reports. I'm seeing my old cognitive psychology lecturer next week so I will discuss it with him :D

Best wishes,
Francesca

You're welcome, GG.....and while it is a man's world predominantly, there are many women in the field. Take Taffy for instance.....and if you take a gander at the Treasurehunters Cookout photos (posted elsewhere on the forum) you will see another very successful lady treasurehunter and captain who posts here on occasion. ;)

Glad to add another lady to the boards....best of luck to you!

Bonnie & her 81 year old mother run the entire salvage operation.

BONNIE SCHUBERT

Another lady Treasure Salvor is Lynn Jackson. She was Dive Master aboard the Polly L She also holds a 100 ton Captains license. Dell

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8836

• 1BootySeeker
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome aboard GreenhornGirl... I think you have the bug like a lot of us do on here. Many of us, myself included would love to get out and actually work for a company researching, exploring and finding treasure. However, it does seem to be a tough niche to break into.. :S So we are relegated to research, explore and find (hoepfully) treasure on our own time. Believe me, if I were offered a job to join an expedition, I would pack up my metal detector and dive gear and leave immediately! However, since moving to SW Florida the best I can do for the time being is hunt the shallows and beaches and maybe come across something interesting. There are a few potential sites that a couple of us on here are researching and hope to get out and explore soon. It's the thrill of the hunt! I wish you luck and if you find away to break-in... Let me know and I'll join you! :woohoo: Until then you're always welcome to hunt with us here in Florida... maybe a stop over till you get to the Bahamas! :)

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8839

G'morning Francesca, You do like morning coffee no? And of course, adore lovely mules? One benefit in diving for your adventure and bread & butter, is that in effect you are getting a bath at least once a day.

whereas in my variation, it may be a few weeks combined with delicate mule sweat, but, sigh, my masculine odor and beauty comes through in any event.

Hmm as I once wondered, is this perhaps why the lonely gals in the few ranches that I encounter, after their initial introduction, always seem to be very busy after ??? :blush: :blush:

But think of the exquisite feeling of being in an area where modern man has not made his presence known, Areas that are just as the last residents left it so long ago?

Have you ever danced with the ghosts of the long gone former residents in the flickering light of your lonely camp fire? A unique experience denied to most, especially under, say, about 10 meters of H2O.

Judy has, and loves it, I am trying to lure Your compatriot Unicorn, into such an experience, but alas she prefers to stay in boimingham''

You asked --> But first, a quick question (which may reveal my startling shade of green).... what is "PBSRW#!"?????

Sorry luv, but that is a thing of Judy's, you will have to ask Her.

Don Jose de La Mancha

"I exist to Live, not live to exist" <-- If you continue, this will also be your personal creed and belief.

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8852

• Unicorn
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Francesa I did say welcome in the new member introduction thread, but nothing to say I cannot welcome you here as well. :)
May I ask which University you went to. I am interested, because I currently have grandsons, nieces and nephews, at various Universities, and you never know it may have been the same on. It's a small World don't you know. :laugh:
Hope you are enjoying this site.

Unicorn
it's never too late

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8857

• Dell Winders
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 26
GreenhornGirl wrote:
Hi Dell,

Thank you very much :D
It's not discouraging at all. It's important that I know all of the facts and what is and isn't possible for me to achieve. I'm not even at the very beginning of this journey yet and your advice is really appreciated.
Would you mind explaining a couple of things to me? I have some questions.

The expense isn't an issue - from what I can see its around $200 dollars all in to get a permit application in, which isn't refundable if you don't get the permit. That's okay as I have some savings to cover it.

As for the job skill, would my degree and a sub aqua qualification count? And if not, is there anything else I can get under my belt to help?

Also, what I really need to know is who this sponsor would need to be? Would it be my prospective employer? And if so, any advice on how I would go about convincing somebody to give me a chance?

I appreciate your welcome and would be very grateful on any answers you could give me if you have some time!

Best wishes,
Francesca

The quickest way to get your foot in the door is to marry a Bahamian.

The $200 you mentioned is merely clerical fees. The work permits are quite expensive and have to be submitted for renewal each year. Yes,the perspective employer is responsible for you and picks up the tab. But even they have that there are no Bahamians who can qualify for the job they offer. You have to have to have the special expertise to fill the employers specific job requirements before you can even be considered.

Living in the Bahamas, is expensive, and at the moment the government (people) are heavily in debt, suffering high unemployment, and economic turmoil. Tourism is the primary industry. Fishing is next, but over fishing has that industry in jeopardy also.

Your education of the Bahamas will not be cheap. If you can make friends with someone to stay with in the Bahamas, it would give you the opportunity to explore your options, as a tourist.

Certainly, you want to gain as much experience in as many fields as you can. Obtaining an Open Water SCUBA certification will be of importance. Learning sailing, navigation & boat maintenance, can be very helpful to join private cruises to the Bahamas, or other parts of the Caribbean.

Learning a skill in the Motion Picture & TV industry, such as Assistant director (AD) Script girl, Camera assistant, underwater photographer, etc. can lead to shoots in the Bahamas about Treasure Search & Recovery. When (IF) funding comes through we plan a series of Documentaries in the Bahamas, as do other film companies.

Clink the link to see a Script girl's first involvement in a low budget land Treasure adventure. (3 episodes) Dell

PETES WORLD

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8864

Hi Unicorn,

I'm still getting to grips with the site right now and haven't seen this new member part I don't think hence why I haven't replied! So...
Hello! And I'm very pleased to (virtually) meet you.
I went to Cardiff University! It would be interesting indeed if I knew one of your nieces or nephews - it seems you have a very academic family!
It might help me to believe that it is a small world as right now it feels very, very large indeed. Small enough to dwarf my unattainable dreams it seems!

I am loving the site. Everybody on here is lovely and so interesting and I'm always very excited to log on especially when I have messages from new people such as yourself!

Francesca
Not all treasure is silver and gold.

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8865

Dell,

Thank you for your reply. I find this very disheartening indeed, but the realistic side of me never really expected this dream to be realised within the upcoming years.
Marrying a Bahamian is not going to happen (unless of course I fall in love with one- an old romantic by today's standards) so the "quickest" way is out.

I appreciate the advice about the qualifications and I'm actually from seafaring stock so aside from the open water which I'm currently doing I'm stood in good stead. I'm also taking underwater photography after I qualify so hopefully there will be an in for me there.
I'll give the videos a watch - thank you for posting them.

I appreciate your words of wisdom... even if they aren't what I wanted to hear, they are certainly what I need to hear.

Francesca

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8868

• Unicorn
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Hello Francesca. I'ts good to get the introductions over, and can then move on with the 'getting to know you part'

I am not really familiar with the site myself yet, but I have had loads of good advice from some very friendly people.

I'm sorry to say that my diving days are over now, (getting abit long in the tooth) :( but it's great fun to hear all of the stories. I 'stick' more with car boot (trunk) for the Americans :unsure:
sales now, trying to find that elusive special find at a knockdown price. :) I have been lucky with one or two things, but end up liking them so much I tend to keep them, hence a house that is getting slightly overcrowded. I keep 'threatening to post some buys, if only I knew how to post pictures, :laugh: going to crack it one day tho.

I have one grandson at Chester University studying History, a nephew who has just finished at Aberiswyth University, graduating in marine biology. So like yourself he was in Wales, and a neice at Bristol University studying biology, and another grandson waiting for his results in 'A'levels to see if he can get a University place. Yes so all in all when you look at it, they haven't 'harf' ;) done so bad.

Take heart Francesca, you will find your place in the working World when the time is right. I am a great believer in fate, and one day 'something will turn up' as Mr. McCawber said. 'whispering' who knows Mr.McCawber :laugh: only kidding folks you will know I am sure

Anyways Francesca will look forward to reading your posts.

Take care Unicorn
it's never too late

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8869

Well I'd be happy to talk you through posting the pictures if you tell me what type of camera you have - I love photography!

Well that is a very wonderful and high achieving family you have! I am sure you are very proud of them all!. I have visited both Bristol and Aber- they are wonderful unis and all the subjects your family study are fascinating. Especially Marine Biology! If only I were better at science lol

It'd hard to believe sometimes but hey - things are always darkest before dawn! Mr. McCawber?
I will look forward to reading yours!

Unicorn

Re: Put me to work 6 years 11 months ago #8872

• Unicorn
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Hi again Francesca. Mr. Micawber was a character in a Charles Dickens book 'David Copperfield' He always seemed to go from one problem to another and always used the words 'something will turn up' at the end of a problem lol Which I am sure it will do for you in the future.

Unicorn
it's never too late
  • Page:
Moderators: Salvor6