Welcome, Guest
(445 Viewing)  (445) Guest

TOPIC: Expedition 13 Bak'tun

Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10467

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 167
Final Countdown…

Only 4 Days and 15 hours until the Mayan Long Count Calendar comes to an abrupt end. We are in the final day of preparation of our journey to the ancient Mayan ruins of Tikal to witness the closing days of 13 Bak’tun.

Follow us on our journey deep into heart of the Mayan world in the jungles of northern Guatemala in search of the answer to the question of what will happen on this much anticipated and controversial historic date of 13.0.0.0.0, 4 Ahau 3 Kankin.

Tomorrow we start our journey north, and plan on providing live daily updates of this journey into the unknown on our TreasureWorks website, Expedition 13 Bak’tun.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10470

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 46
Ka xi'ik teech utsil, Tommy... ;) ...Kanantabáa!

Will be watching for the updates. :)

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10472

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Thanks Judy, I'll take all the luck I can!

Just 3 days and a wake up until the big day for the Maya, and possibly the world. We are just about ready to hit the road in a couple of hours, so as soon as I have finished my morning coffee, check my email and take care of some business on the website we will be on the road again. Hmmm that reminds me, I need to load up some new tunes on the thumb drive. Its a long journey, and for some reason I can't seem to find any good ol classic rock stations down this way.

The sun is just starting to come up over the mountains and its a little foggy down in the valley. The sky above is clear and blue, and it looks like today is going to be a repeat of yesterday weather wise, so it looks like its going to be a perfect day for a road trip!

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10473

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) I may be a little late for the trip down, but this one should fit the bill...... ;) lol

Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by JudyH.

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10474

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Well heck, I can't get the video to show up. :(

Ahh....figured it out, lol.

And if that one doesn't do it for ya....here's my favorite bet for the occasion...... ;)

Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by JudyH.

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10476

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Just a quick update. I have finally rolled into Flores, Peten and am all checked into the hotel and am checking out the internet connection. All is well on this end. After a little rest and then heading out to get some chow. I will add a detailed update later this evening on the events of day 1 and 2.

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10481

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
2 Days and counting...

Day 1, 18 December – Departed Guatemala City bright and early on Tuesday morning and started the long drive north out of the city and worked our way out of the central highlands where the high temperature was a standard 73 degrees. By noon we had dropped several thousand feet and the mercury had climbed into upper 90’s.

About two o’clock we drove through a Chiquita Banana plantation to reach the ruins of a Maya city that I had heard stories about and I wanted to visit. The ruins of the city of Quirigua are not very large, but the site is absolutely beautiful with some of the largest stela that I have seen to date, with absolutely stunning glyphs.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Then we were back on the road again and headed to Lake Izabal and found a nice little Eco lodge in the town El Estor right on the lake. An Eco lodge is another term for bare bones, no extra frills, so to say the least it was a step above camping out in the woods, but I slept well listening to the sounds of the jungle all night.

Day 2, 19 December – After some coffee we were off to the town of Rio Dulce and a visit to Castillo de San Felipe. This small Spanish Castle is strategically located where the Rio Dulce “Sweet River” meets Guatemala’s largest lake, and connects it to the Caribbean 42 Kilometers to the east. I could have spent a few more hours at this site, but we still had a long drive ahead of us.

After spending the entire morning enjoying the castle, it was time for lunch. We stopped at what appears to be a favorite stop for Expat cruisers. The restaurant is called Bruno's, and is located under the bridge on the north side of the Rio Dulce River. I have not heard that much English being spoken at one place in a very long time.

After a good lunch we were back on the road and headed north to Flores. We rolled into town at about 3:30 and found the hotel. Hit the local Burger King for a quick dinner, and wandered the streets getting the lay of the land. OK, now I need to look at the schedule for mañana.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by wreckdiver.

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10484

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 397
B) WOW! What an awesome place to be at this time. I wish we could have been down there or at one of the other ruins. Post lots of pictures and be safe my friend. :woohoo: I am jealous!!!! :lol:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10490

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Day 3, 20 December – The last day until the end of the Calendar. After an early morning breakfast in the hotel dining room, and some more of that outstanding Guatemalan Coffee, we packed up our cameras and video gear, and lots of water and some snacks in our back packs and headed out on the 60 kilometer drive to the ancient Ruins of the city of Tikal.

Word on the street was that there were to be close to 10 thousand folks in the park. However, I think those estimates were way off, and it was probably on the order of a thousand if they were lucky. In any case we hired a local guide to help us find our way through the massive complex of temples and astronomical buildings. We agreed on a price of Q250 for the day, that’s pretty good ching in a country where the monthly minimum wage is only Q2000, or about $250. The US dollar goes a long way in this part of the world, so it’s easy to see why so many Expats end up in Central and South America.

We hiked and climbed just about every building in Tikal, and I have to say that I am not in as good shape as I had wanted to be in. Especially with a trip to the ruins of El Mirador in the works, that’s three days of hiking just to get to the ruins. In any case, I am in a fair amount of pain today, and plan on hitting the gym regularly when I get back home. However, it was all worth it when you consider the sites that I was able to see, and I only hope that my video was able to catch the spectacle.

Day 4, 21 December – That’s it! That’s all there is, today is the end, so in keeping with the time, or the end of, as the case may be, we spent the night on the side of one of the temples in the main plaza and watched the final sunset of the 13 Bak’tun, and the first sunrise of the new Bak’tun. Unfortunately, sometime around 11PM, I had used the last of my 3 battery packs capturing the sights and sounds of the Maya celebrations in the plaza below. However, I came away with many hours of absolutely stunning video.

It’s hard to put into words a proper description of the events of last night and early this morning, but if you remember the movie “Close Encounters of the Third Kind”, where the mother ship lands behind the mountain, well then you have an idea of the spectacle in the main plaza of Tikal last night and into this morning. Between the lights playing out on the sides of the temples, the sound of Howler monkeys, and Mayans’ blowing the sounds of the conch shells in the distance, and the half moon and alignment of the planets above on a cloudless night, and the Mayan ceremonies with music, smoke, incense and dancing with many bright native costumes playing out in the plaza below. It was indeed a site to behold, and will forever be engrained into my memory.

While this day is only half over, and I plan on spending it resting up for the long drive back up into the Highlands of Guatemala tomorrow. I think that it is safe to say that end of the world predictions people were making will turn out to be a real bust for them. I am sure that they will have sort of lame excuse, and make up yet another day of doom and gloom we can wait in anticipation for. I am a little disappointed that I was not able to witness the return of Lord Bolon Yokte in his spaceship; I was really kind of looking forward to that event coming to pass, and maybe catching a short ride aboard is ship. But who knows, the day is not yet over…
Attachments:
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by wreckdiver.

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10494

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 109
I'm still here!

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10507

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I made it back to Guatemala City last night after a 10 hour drive from Flores and our trip to the ruins of Tikal. I am editing many hours of video today and hope to be able to post the first video soon.

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10513

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Here is part one of three or four, we spent the night atop a pyramid on the main plaza in Tikal to film this event in part one and two. Those who have read the Popol Vuh, the creation story of the Maya will recognize the story line of this Ceremony.

enjoy, and I should have the next part up soon

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10514

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Now! for part 2...

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10517

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
OK, and here is Part 3. This is the final part of the ceremony in the main plaza.
2 more videos in the works exploring the ruins of Quirigua, Castillo de San Felipe, and of course the massive ruins of Tikal.

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10526

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I think everyone will enjoy this video. This is the first two days of our drive from Guatemala City to Flores in Peten in Guatemala.

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10527

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Awesome spectacle, Tommy! Thank you so much for sharing this. I can only imagine how the setting ... the vibrations from all the drums ... the dancing feet ... the haunting vocals ... all combined to peel back the layers of time and reveal the still beating heart of today's Mayan ancestors. Simply amazing. Made me want to don a headdress and dance around the fire. Bet the hair on your arms had to be standing at some point in the evening, lol. Terrific job capturing history for us all here to share. Well done!!

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10528

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
:ohmy: You snuck that last one in while I was posting. I'm still blinded by the glare from the opening scene....... :blink: .....is that...oh my....... :whistle:

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10543

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 397
B) Awesome show Tommy. I really enjoyed the road trip. Reminded me of my days driving across Mexico, Belize and Guatamala a few years back. It ain't changed a bit. :laugh: The tour of the fort looked like some of the stops we made at some of the other sites across Central America. I sure would have loved the trip and to have visited the fort along the river. We loved sailing and powerboating along the Rio and the coasts of Belize and Mexico. Who knows, maybe we will get to go back someday.

Thanks Again for all the hard work and getting the videos posted.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!

Re: Expedition 13 Bak'tun 6 years 5 months ago #10555

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
This is the last of our 5 videos from our trip to Tikal. In this video we explore the ruins of ancient Mayan city of Tikal.

Expedition 13 Bak'tun 3 years 5 months ago #16371

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I was just lamenting the fact that it was 3 years ago today that the world was suppose to come to a cataclysmic end according to all those end of the world doomsayers out of Hollywood and every other nut case that traditionally preaches the end of times.

So if the world truly did come to an end 3 years ago today, I guess anyone taking the time to read this is to be considered a survivor of the end of times.

Congratulations to all you survivors, and may you all have a Very Merry Christmas, and a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!

Tommy
Moderators: Salvor6