Welcome, Guest
(75 Viewing)  (75) Guest

TOPIC: The Lost Mayan City of Kaminaljuyu

The Lost Mayan City of Kaminaljuyu 6 years 2 months ago #11179

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 163
The Lost Mayan City of Kaminaljuyu
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Tommy Vawter in the Acropolis at the Kaminaljuyú Archaeological Park

By Tommy Vawter

Last month the 32” flat screen TV that I use to edit my videos went on the blink, and about two weeks ago I decided that I needed to get it fixed while the warrantee was still good. As luck would have it, I soon found myself on the west side of Guatemala City dropping the TV at the local service department.

That day I had decided to take a back way to avoid the heavy traffic on Roosevelt Avenue and look for more evidence of the once thriving Mayan civilization that once occupied this part of the valley. This part of the city is built over the old Mayan ruins of Kaminaljuyu, and it is not unheard of to find a small pyramid mounds still covered in grass and trees.

I finally arrived at the main store at about noon. I pulled the TV out of the back of my Chevy Blazer; I heard a loud volley of gun fire just behind me. As I turned to look in the direction of the gun fire I witnessed a shootout between the local National Civil Police (PNC) and some criminals who had been involved in an attempted assassination earlier that morning that resulted in the murder of two police officers and a prison guard.

Early last week the TV service center called to let me know that my TV was repaired, and I could come pick it up. So yesterday, I decided to venture back over to the west side of town with the hopes that it would be a lot less dramatic journey this time around, and I would take the opportunity to re-visit the ruins.
Small pyramid mound at the local KFC (Photo TreasureWorks)
Another small pyramid mound at the local KFC (Photo TreasureWorks)

Kaminaljuyu was occupied from about 800 BCE to nearly 300 CE has been described as one of the greatest of all archaeological sites in Mesoamerica. The city is also one the least visited, least restored, worst preserved and probably most looted of the Mayan cities. As a result the true size and scale of Kaminaljuyu will never be known.

Over the past 100 years, there were some 50 excavations both large and small that evidenced the extension and relevance of the site but there was no interest in the conservations; on the contrary, urban development projects and commercial buildings devastated the area and most of the artifacts and structures. Few mounds randomly survived standing among houses and roads, although a portion of the center of Kaminaljuyu is preserved as a park in Zone 7 and the Paseo Miraflores in Zone 11. During the 1930s the site was first mapped scientifically, and it comprised some 200 platforms and pyramidal mounds, at least half of which were created before the end of the Pre-classic period (250 CE).

For visitors to Guatemala City, I highly recommend a visit to the Museo Miraflores. The entrance is located on the ground floor in the Miraflores Mall, and leads you to the commercially owned museum next to the mall. The museum is very modern and has an outstanding display of artifacts recovered during the construction of the mall.

In front of the Miraflores Mall you can catch a cab for the short ride over to the Kaminaljuyú Archaeological Park in Zone 7.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by wreckdiver.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The Lost Mayan City of Kaminaljuyu 6 years 2 months ago #11191

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello Werckdiver

Thank you for the interesting story.

it is an Interesting story from an interesting part of the world. I hope to one day visit that part of the world.It always amazes me the history buried around underbeath cities. epecially in cities in that part of the world. Trulley amazing.

Whats the treasure troves law like in Guatemala?

Kanacki
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Kanacki. Reason: kanackis poor spelling

Re: The Lost Mayan City of Kaminaljuyu 6 years 2 months ago #11193

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 163
The basic no frills answer is that if it’s pre-Columbian artifacts or art, then it is against the law to buy, sell, trade or to smuggle it out of the country. However, anything since the Spanish arrival in the New World seems to be OK.

The stark reality of the situation is that the antiquities trade worldwide is a multi-billion dollar industry, second only to the international arms trade. Here in Central America drug cartels from South America and Mexico have discovered the lucrative antiquities market, and easily use there established drug corridors to transport tons of Cocaine and antiquities to the US and European markets. For example; the los Zeta drug cartel out of Mexico essentially controls much of the northern lowlands of Guatemala along it’s boarder with Mexico.

As for tourists that come down this way, they are able to find antiquities in for sale in many of the local market places. However, about 90% of what is found in the markets is a copy, and start out at about $50 US dollars. A good seasoned traveler can barter them down to between $5 and $15 dollars, even for the genuine article.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by wreckdiver.

Re: The Lost Mayan City of Kaminaljuyu 6 years 2 months ago #11196

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello wreckdiver

Thanks for the information and update.

It was pretty much the same when I was in south America in Peru, Ecudor and Bolivia several years ago. A thriving black market for antiquities run by criminal gangs linked to the drug trade. And a thriving fake artifact industry.

Spanish antiquities could be an interesting option.Especially Carribean side.

Kanacki

Re: The Lost Mayan City of Kaminaljuyu 6 years 2 months ago #11269

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 46
Kanacki wrote:
Hello wreckdiver

Thanks for the information and update.

It was pretty much the same when I was in south America in Peru, Ecudor and Bolivia several years ago. A thriving black market for antiquities run by criminal gangs linked to the drug trade. And a thriving fake artifact industry.

Spanish antiquities could be an interesting option.Especially Carribean side.

Kanacki

Shh Kanacki... :P ....you mean Mezoamerican artifacts post Spanish arrival...right? ;)

We don't know of any Spanish antiquities down here. :whistle:
Moderators: Salvor6