Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(43 Viewing)  (43) Guest

TOPIC: Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 11 months ago #14290

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 163
I learned today that Captain Robert Mayne and 5 members of the crew of the Aqua Quest have been held at the Puerto Lempira Prison for the last eight days. This prison is located in the department of Gracias a Dios, in La Mosquitía region of northern Honduras.

The Aqua Quest was apprehended by Honduran officials on the Patuca Rive while working to clear obstacles from the river near the town of Ahuas.

The 65 foot Recovery Vessel Aqua Quest out of Tarpon Springs, Florida is currently tied up to the Honduran Navy dock across the Caratasca lagoon from the town of Puerto Lempira.

The crew have been accused of trafficking in weapons.

We wish the Captain and crew a speedy resolution to this case and a safe release.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by wreckdiver.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 11 months ago #14291

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 31
I hate to hear that. Rather than spool up a full-on rant about indignation and unfairness with unkind things to say about our government and theirs, I shall remember that there is a chance that someone in the Honduran government might read this.
I sure hope they are treated fairly and found to be innocent. I understand that sometimes Americans tend to err on the side of "More is better" when it comes to armament when traveling in remote areas. I certainly would, but in some areas it may well be seen differently by people with different experiences.
I was talking to a treasure boat captain who has much more experience than I about this very subject a few days ago. He was of the opinion, and I agree, that conventional hunting guns might not be viewed as contraband as readily as ARs/AKs etc. They might also be less tempting as targets of confiscation.
Again, I sure hope this is resolved quickly and the crew is allowed to get back to work.
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 11 months ago #14292

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I am with you on this ropesfish. However, there are many countries that do not allow weapons to be brought into their countries aboard ships without express permission from the government.

I looked into this as I was preparing to come down this way. While the UN has rated Honduras as the most deadly country in the world for the last four years with a annual murder rate of 90.4 per 100,000 residents. I can most certainly understand their desire for personal security, especially with plans to search for shipwrecks in the Mosquitia region.

This part of northern Honduras is a hot bed for drug traffickers and not a good place for a bunch of gringos with guns.

They should count themselves lucky that they were detained by the Honduran Government and not one of the many drug cartels that are engaged trafficking drugs from South America. Captain Mayne and his crew could have very well just disappeared into the jungle, while the drug traffickers used their boat to smuggle drugs.

I am sure that it may not help their cause that the Captain of the Aqua Quest states on his own web site that he was a marijuana smuggler in his youth.

I am sure that when they finally decide that they need to hire a lawyer in Honduras, he will tell them all to shut the hell up on social media and to stop the endless rants about how corrupt they think the government is.
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by wreckdiver.

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14293

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Insulting the government that is holding you prisoner....how is that a good idea? Have Latin males become less easy to offend and faster to forgive a public insult in the last couple of decades since I was in their territory? Even Forrest Gump would be able to figure this one out.
Being a US citizen is not the shield it once was and in places it paints a target on your back.
Warren Zevon may have had this one right...send "Lawyers, guns and money". Make it a local attorney and give the guns and money for him to distribute to the nice people and get out of jail. Next...re-evaluate your need to be in Honduras while hoping you still have enough money left to get back to US soil.
Hope it works out for them.
For anyone that might be unfamiliar with Warren Zevon's best song:
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14295

• Seaturtle4
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Deleted
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Seaturtle4.

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14296

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
We are all hoping for their safe and speedy return. It is a helpless feeling watching something like this unfold from afar. None of us know which one of us it might be next time and it seems like it gets harder every day to get the American government interested in helping American citizens.
Thanks for posting and please keep us informed if you can.
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14297

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Seaturtle4, welcome aboard TreasureWorks, and may I say how sorry I am that your brother and his fellow crew-members are having to endure the hardships of life inside a Honduran prison. I am happy to hear that they now have local council that is working on securing their release.

Don't be too hard on your brother for coming down to Honduras to follow his dreams. For all the problems that this country faces, mostly the direct result of the outside influences of the narcotics trade combined with extreme poverty. The people of Honduras are a wonderful people, and the country is very beautiful and rich in history and culture.

I hope that your brother is free to follow his dreams soon.

Tommy

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14312

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
It has been more than three weeks now since the crew of the Aqua Quest have allegedly been detained and placed into custody by the police in Honduras. Since I first became aware of this incident In a post by Dr. Steven Foster in social media, I have been checking all the local media down here on a daily basis looking for some news, any news on the fate of the crew.

I have found many articles about boats and ships being stopped and searched as a part of the Navel Shield that has been put in place by the new President of Honduras. Even a few where the crews have been detained for a period of time for suspected smuggling of everything from weapons, fuel, people too drugs.

I have not read one word about the Aqua Quest and her crew being held in prison. Normally, anything to do with a bunch of gringos being placed in prison in a story like this would be big headlines down here in Honduras.

I must admit that I am a little suspicious about this story, something is not adding up.

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14321

• MsSunflower
  • Treasure Hobbyist
  • Thank you received: 1
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by MsSunflower.

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14324

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Thanks for sharing the USA Today article on the plight of your cousin and the rest of the Aqua Quest crew. This is the type of publicity that will be needed to keep the pressure on to help expedite the process.

I also see the CNN out of Houston ran a very similar story. However, I have still not seen anything in the Honduran press.
www.click2houston.com/news/Six-Americans-detained-in-Honduras/26263510
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by wreckdiver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MsSunflower

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14329

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
The Honduran press is now reporting on the "Six U.S. treasure hunters arrested in Honduras for possession of weapons", La Tribuna Not much new in the article, just basically the CNN article in Spanish.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by wreckdiver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MsSunflower

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14346

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Hopefully the Judge in La Ceiba will see that this is all just a big mistake and set the capt. and the Crew free in a couple of weeks.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 10 months ago #14348

• MsSunflower
  • Treasure Hobbyist
  • Thank you received: 1
We are trying to get a petition... PLEASE register and sign. then pass on to all you know and ask them to do the same. We need 100,000 signatures before the President will get involved. Many thanks petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/urge-release-6-american-crew-members-wrongfully-imprisoned-honduras-honduran-government-officials/Jxgm1nRM#thank-you=p
The following user(s) said Thank You: wreckdiver

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 9 months ago #14436

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Fox News 13 out of Tampa Florida is reporting that the crew of Aqua Quest was released from the Honduran jail in Puerta Lempira today, and that they are planning on sailing back to Tampa as soon as possible.

This would mark the end of 52 Days of incarceration of the crew of 6 men.

Fox News 13 reports that the Honduran appeals court unanimously ruled that the crew should be released, and Thursday, they walked out of jail.

I have not yet read any reports from the Honduran press about the release of the crew, but will report it here.

Crew of Floridians released from Honduran jail
Last Edit: 4 years 9 months ago by wreckdiver.

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 9 months ago #14437

• susieq
  • Treasure Enthusiast
  • Thank you received: 12
The following user(s) said Thank You: wreckdiver

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 9 months ago #14443

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 107
Hey Tommy, Food for thought? I'm Glad they're out.

Aqua Quest Crew in Honduran Prison 4 years 9 months ago #14444

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
Hola John, Yep! I'm very happy to hear that they have made it out of that hole too be sure. However, I'm sorry to hear that they are heading back to Florida without getting a chance to do the project. But after 51 days of the hell that I know they must have been going through, their departure is totally understandable.

Tommy
Moderators: Salvor6