TOPIC: Thomas uncovers a rare find to treasure

Thomas uncovers a rare find to treasure 8 years 2 months ago #7134

• wreckdiver
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 178
Thomas uncovers a rare find to treasure

T IS a hobby of highs and lows.

Sometimes, when the metal detector bleeps, it is a rare coin. Other times, it is the ring pull off a can.

But scouring the countryside for treasures definitely has its rewards – as enthusiast Thomas Hall knows.

The 74-year-old has just taken the honor of Coin of the Year for the Yorkshire region, after a discovery which pre-dates the Roman invasion of Britain.

Keeping tight-lipped about the exact location, Mr. Hall says he found it in the countryside somewhere within a 15-mile radius of Hull.

"Whenever I discover something, I always take a minute to imagine the person who was carrying it last," said Mr. Hall, who lives off Beverley Road in west Hull.

"Finding these treasures transports me back to that time."

The former driving instructor was with his friend and metal detecting partner, Terry Lewis, when he made the discovery.

Mr. Lewis, 59, said: "He shouted me over and said he had found a silver coin.

"We gave each other a big hug and shook our fists in the air in celebration.

"We didn't stop talking about it for days. It was definitely the best find our local club has ever seen."

Mr. Hall has been digging up treasures in East Yorkshire for more than 45 years.

He said: "I've had some good finds but this is the best without a doubt – probably because there have only been about 12 or so found."

The coin is from AD10, meaning it is more than 2,000 years old.

The coin is from the Corieltavi tribe and has the chief ton’s name inscribed on it.

His name was Bubnoc and his son, or possibly another relative, called Tiger Seno, also has his name on the coin.

It was formally identified and registered with York Castle Museum and is now touring the country in a showcase so other metal detecting enthusiasts can see Mr. Hall's find up close.

In a fortnight's time, the coin will be shown off at Mr. Hall's own club, The East Yorkshire Metal Detectorist' Society in Cottingham.

Mr. Hall said: "These days’ coins are minted in their millions but back then they were all hand-made, so it was a longer process.

"I should think it would be valued at about £1,000 but it depends on who would want to buy it."

Mr. Lewis said: "It was an amazing find.

"It was a good-quality silver, which doesn't rot, so it was as fresh as when it fell in the ground all those years ago.

"It is fantastic to think the last person to touch it was probably a tribesman who lived 2,000 years ago."

Mr. Lewis and Mr. Hall have been metal detecting partners for about four years.

They met at the East Yorkshire club and have teamed up to hunt for treasure ever since.

So what is it that keeps them heading out into the middle of nowhere to hunt for artifacts?

"Don't get me wrong, they aren't all as good as this," said Mr. Hall.

"Some days all we find is a tin can or a ring pull.

"Unfortunately, they make similar sounds on the detector to things that are more valuable."

But the metal detectorist worst nightmare is the "nighthawk".

This is the name given to people who try to find out where metal detectorists have made a good find.

They then sneak on to the land during the night in balaclavas to secretly scan for objects, without the landowner's permission.

Mr. Hall said: "Proper metal detectorist always get permission off the landowner.

"We always fill in our holes afterwards and are respectful of the countryside."

Courtesy Hull Daily Mail
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate