Welcome, Guest
(171 Viewing)  (171) Guest

TOPIC: Patrick puts treasure find down to beginner's luck

Patrick puts treasure find down to beginner's luck 8 years 1 month ago #7282

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 178
Patrick puts treasure find down to beginner's luck
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

UK - A TREASURE hunter said it was ‘pure luck’ when he unearthed 10 silver coins dating to the 14th Century.

Patrick Corbett made the incredible discovery during an organised dig near Ticknall in March last year.

“This was a once-in-a-lifetime type of find,” the 50-year-old electrician told the Mail.

“It’s not quite the Staffordshire Hoard but it’s interesting to think that there were people in the area that had silver coins.

“I think to have that type of wealth in this period would have been quite a considerable achievement.” As reported in the Mail earlier this week, the silver stash was declared treasure after an inquest at Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner’s Court.

Mr Corbett, from Chellaston said he stumbled across one of the coins using his metal detector before he found the rest located nearby, much to the excitement of his colleagues from the Derby Artefacts Recovery Club.

Nine of the coins are the official pennies of the Kings of England — dating between 1306 and 1379. A 10th coin was of John the Blind, king of Bohemia and count of Luxemburg.

Although in quite poor condition, possibly because of the length of time they have been in the ground, they are made of around 90 per cent silver.

Mr Corbett is now waiting to hear the results of an independent valuation committee which will decide how much the artefacts are worth — and the cash reward could be split 50-50 with landowner Edward Hallifield.

“At the time I was still quite new to it and there were a lot of other people on the dig. It was pure luck,” Mr Corbett said.

“I don’t do it for the monetary side though.

“I love the historic side of it and I’ve made quite a few friends from metal detecting.

“I’m a self-employed electrician and I do metal detecting to forget about being an electrician. It’s nice to research to areas before we are going into but we never expected to find these.”

Once the coins have been valued they could be put on display at Derby Museum and Art Gallery.

Courtesy: Burton Mail
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate