Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(136 Viewing)  (136) Guest

TOPIC: Metal detector fan’s 52,000-coin discovery on display at museum

Metal detector fan’s 52,000-coin discovery on display at museum 7 years 8 months ago #3949

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 167
Metal detector fan’s 52,000-coin discovery on display at museum
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

By Jill Crooks »

UK - Devizes metal detector enthusiast Dave Crisp says he is delighted that the hoard of Roman coins he found are now on public display.

Mr. Crisp, 65, found more than 52,000 coins in a field in Frome in April last year. The hoard is one of Britain’s biggest of Roman coins and they date back to 3AD.

The silver and copper alloy coins went on display at the Museum of Somerset in Taunton last week.

Money was raised by the museum and grants were given to enable the hoard to be kept in public ownership.

Mr. Crisp, who is secretary of Trowbridge Metal Detecting Club, said: “It’s great to see them on display for people to see.

“I’m really proud that I found them and they have come back to Somerset.”

Stephen Minnitt, Somerset County Council’s head of museums, said it was a coup for the museum to obtain the “highly important find”.

The coins were inside an earthenware pot. When Mr. Crisp found it the pot was cracked and experts have now restored it.

Mr. Crisp said: “Putting the pot back together was like a jigsaw puzzle. They’ve done a fantastic job.

“When I found it, the pot was a lovely, shiny, black color but it was wet. Now it has dried it is a grey color. The lid is on a separate stand and round the bottom of the display are the five denarii silver coins from the hoard.”

Mr. Crisp, of Waylands, recently retired as chef at Chippenham Hospital and hopes he will have more time to pursue metal detecting, which he has been involved in for 22 years.

“When I find something I love the history behind it. Whenever I pick up a buckle or a brooch, I think about the person who it belonged to and why it was buried,” he said.

Mr. Crisp gives talks to local groups about the Frome hoard. He is also writing a book about metal detecting in collaboration with Tony Brown, chairman of Trowbridge Metal Detecting Club, which will include a section on his historic find.

Mr. Crisp and the landowner of the field in Frome where the coins were found shared a pay out of £320,250.

Among the items Mr. Crisp has bought with his share is a sat-nav system because he said he got lost a few times while driving in Taunton.

Courtesy This is Wiltshire
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Salvor6