Welcome, Guest
(92 Viewing)  (92) Guest

TOPIC: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara

2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 2 months ago #11864

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello All

Sorry not the Santa Clara mountins in california but the the Santa Clara mountains in Mexico

There is a story reported in a newspaper datede 1926 about an indian charcoal burner who sheltering from a rain storm found an enterance to a tunnel that lead to a cavern with a hole in the room letting sunlight into the cavern. The cavern had two helmeted golden idols sourrounded by treasure.

The native sealed up the cave and made his way to the natural history Museam in Mexico city here he met the curator. Before the curator cold organise an expedition the native indian died before telling the exact location of the cave

Anyway news leaked out about the indians find and several different parties set ot to find the cave.

Was there any truth to the story or just a legend? It seems there is several versions of this story in the United states as well as Mexico.

Kanacki This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 2 months ago #11876

• Imaginos
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Neat old story Kanacki, these cave of wonder tales always intrigue me as there are quite a number of similar stories. The guide always dies mysteriously, but it makes me wonder if that could be the same respiratory issue that was found in the egyptian tombs?

Seems like the troop mobilization would make this one easy to prove or disprove with a little research as there should be some documentation.

edit.

There is a small mention of it in the Hamilton Evening Journal Oct 2, 1926 Hamilton Ohio
no real details
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Imaginos.

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 2 months ago #11883

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Imaginos

Yes it seems a familar story like an urban legend repated through out the southwest united states and Mexico.

Very much like the 1909 Grand canyon story?

Here is another newspaper story dating from October 1926.

Like with many treasure legends just never enough info to track down the truth of the story?

Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 2 months ago #11884

• Imaginos
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Funny you should mention that as I was just going to bring it up :) Great minds think alike ya know...

Here is what I was typing before I read your post, I will leave it as is:

So my ADD has kicked in :) I'm gonna post some random thoughts on this purely for discussion.

When I was hunting up articles I noticed that your story Kanacki came from 1926, and the little bit I found which was more of a celebrity gossip piece than a treasure article was also dated 1926.

Then I found 3 more versions (one version reprinted) in three Iowa newspapers dated June 21 & 22, 1928

Le Grande Reporter Fri June 22, 1928
Marble Rock Journal Thurs June 21, 1928
Moulton Weekly Tribune Thurs June 21, 1928

I started looking earlier and later for any other clues and ran across a piece from 1907.

What caught my eye was it was about 2 huge stone idols on the Santa Clara Indian reservation in New Mexico and an archaeological expedition to save them. The location mentioned was along the Rio Grande.

This got me to thinking about the Arizona Star Kincaid article from 1909 about subterranian ruins in the Grand Canyon, stone idols, armor, bronze swords, etc. Also on the Rio Grande, big Smithsonian expedition...

Now I am wondering is this just a legend growing from each telling? Is it that there are a whole bunch of these subterranian housing developments waiting to be rediscovered?

Stuff that makes you go hmmmm... This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11886

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Imaginos

interesting.

I did a little digging on the names of those involved an an alleged 1926 expedition to search for this treasure cave.

It turns out that Gloria Faure was a bit of an mexican poster girl sweetheart. lookout Don jose :laugh:

She was portrayed as this mysterious exotic Gypsie women that cast a spell on some mexican politicans at the time.She made a few trips to the united States caused a scandal in New York at the time.

Amazing as it seems she is the only treasure hunter in history to have her face on paper money. Not bad going. :)

Regardless of her involvement of the 1926 treasure hunt it appears she did okay for herself. So Judy H and Unicorn it seems this is one for the girls.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Kanacki. Reason: Spelling

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11892

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
hello again

There was another interesting allegedy discovery in 1902 in Mexico a cave with an Idol and Aztec artifacts as reported in the San Frasisco Call in 1902.

Attachments:

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11893

• Imaginos
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Good Morning Kanacki,

Another neat old story of a cave of wonders predating the rest.

The plot thickens....

Question is can we find Pablo Mertino or is he a will o the wisp like many of the folks in these storys?

Setting these tales side by side produces some interesting coincidences don't you think? Archaeologist Heverick - Hewett, immense stone images, amazing artifacts that never saw light of day...

I'm guessing these treasures aren't displayed in the Nat Museum in Mexico City. ;)

Still I love these old storys. :)

(runs off to look for more clues)

As to Gloria Faure, good for her for making it on a bill, she did get a treasure in a way. Besides she is much better looking than your average hunter :laugh:
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Imaginos. Reason: forgot stuff

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11894

• Imaginos
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Here is another version of the 1902 article Kanacki posted with an addition at the bottom stating the items were shipped to San Francisco and an investigation was in progress. :unsure: This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11912

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Imaginos

It just goes to show always get all the versions of the story and some times you get that little bit extra.Well done so we have claims that this alleged Aztec treasure was landed in San francisco.

Searching through records I could not find an achieologist by the name called Heverick?

Not that I am supprised? ;)

But I have some thing else that might be connected to story?

Kanacki

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11915

• Imaginos
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Good Morning Kanacki, or evening as the case may be :)

I too had no luck finding any further exploits by Mr Heverick yet. I wonder though if one was planning to take the plunder and ship it out of country an alias might be well advised.

I did find Dr. Edgar L. Hewett from the 1907 story so I will put away my conglomerate story theory. He was real and helped start a museum in New Mexico. Have some articals if anyone is interested but I don't think it connects to the other stories.

Something else connected you say? I'm all ears...errr eyes. :cheer:

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11924

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Imaginos

Well I should say it could possibly be. there is a group of archies looking in the southwest united states for aztec Treasure. so much for morals :laugh:

Based on an old document dated from the early 15th century based on the story of Atlan. About 7 caves of the aztecs. it is pictorial map to this scared place of the Aztecs but it has never been fully understood where is the actual location.

Do Jose might like this as it might be in his part of the world.

I will post it soon

Kanacki

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11927

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello imaginos

Here is once small part of much bigger sheet of parchment. Showing the Aztec sacred caves. Archieologists are manly making calculated guesses as the next person based on their visual interpertation of the map. Is near mexico city south of Mexico, Northern Mexico or even South Western Usa?

This map parchment was found in Mexico dated around 15th century.

Anyone here with a little logical deduction may work out the location of this sacred place if it has not already been plundered of course.

Don jose where was you on the night of.... :laugh:

Attachments:
Last Edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Kanacki. Reason: I really need new glasses

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11928

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello again

Just to show you the extent of the size of the full parchment.

If anyone can get a better picture of it I would be much obliged?

Attachments:

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11965

• Imaginos
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Very interesting Kanacki, I have seen that document before but I can't remember the discussion context it was in other than the fabled 7 caves

I'm going to have to look for that. :unsure: has me thinking now

Re: 2 golden idols in a cave Santa Clara 7 years 1 month ago #11983

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello imaginos

I think you find the Seven caves story connected to Aztec treasure stories about Cortez fleeing the Aztec with treasure and legends say the gold was gathered up and hidden in the sacred of the Aztec places the seven caves.

There has been many claimed places but none has been fully proven. Even the archiers are only guessing on estimates so anyones idea interpertation of the map could bear fruit.

But as said perhaps this mysterious American found the treasure and recoverd it.

I started looking through shipping passenger lists from around that date. The only problem is I have 1900+ suspects :laugh:

Kanacki
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate