Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(91 Viewing)  (91) Guest

TOPIC: Golden Library of the Maya

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 7 years 3 weeks ago #12362

hmm isn't that camel spit in your left eye?

Don Jose de La Mancha
Last Edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Don Jose de La Mancha.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 7 years 2 weeks ago #12376

G'afternoon: Wreckdiver, here is a page from my notes on jungle preparation and survival. Perhaps you might pick up something useful from it.

######################

K Ladies and gentlemen; this series will start to tell of my original explorations down the west coast of Mexico preparing to go into and live off of the Quintana Roo jungles next to the then British Honduras, looking for Mayan ruins.

A friend, Duncan Malvern, and I had decided to go on this exploration trip for what ever time was needed, so we started to practice whatever skills we would need. We studied woodcraft, jungle survival data with personal encouragement and advice from my friends Dana & Ginger Lamb of "The Enchanted Vagabonds fame", intensive 'pistol' practice, and basic jungle navigation.

For firearms we had decided upon .22 pistols for small game and very marginal protection. Dana and Ginger had told me that in the remote jungles a .22 cartridge was infinitely more valuable than money for trading purposes. So we each carried 500 rnds of super X hollow point.

I constructed some special equipment, including a variation of the 'absolutely necessary' mosquito netting. See unprofessional diagram. It consisted of an open top box base of light weight canvas with a full length zipper on one side. This was sewn to a conventional mosquito netting on top with various tabs for almost any conceivable way of mounting.

This made an insect proof box in which we could safely sleep nude. To enter you opened the zipper full length then crawled inside. The loose floppy arrangement tended to scrape any flying insects off of you as you entered, believe me, at times there would be a cloud of them all with huge fangs and empty tummies. It worked to perfection.

To carry our 65 # loads, we decided on the Trapper Nelson pack board. This is an older version of pack boards. It consisted a wooden frame which held a single large canvas bag. The board was held away from your body by a laced canvas section. It really was quite comfortable and placed the weight down on your hips instead of your shoulders as many of the present ones do. This was necessary to be able to use a machete to cut trail.

As a secondary factor we found that the canvas back substituted nicely for an abbreviated canvas cot. One could scoop out a shallow hole, span it with the pack board and have your hips and kidney areas supported. This very important factor allowed trouble free sleeping, no 03:00 am rocks or roots poking you in the kidneys.

For clothing we had two pair of levi's, shirts, socks, and underwear. foot wear consisted of ankle high tennis shoes. The tennis shoes were more resistant to tropical humidity, lighter, and easily replaceable. When we were walking along sandy beach areas we took them off in order to toughen up our feet. We also carried one lightweight blanket and a piece of light weight clear plastic to cover the tops of the skeeter netting in case of rain.

Cooking / eating equipment was one pot, two stainless steel, double size, cups forks. We carried tea, salt, rice, a few spices, and later in Mexico a form of crude Chocolate - La Abuela - that came in rounds with pre cut segments. We babied ourselves with one segment a night. We had no flashlights.

We planned to live off of the country and quickly found that it is almost a full time job. Our main stay protein were Chachalacas, dove, Iguana, and a few turkey. this is where our pistol practice paid off. See photo attached.

So after about a year in preparations we took off for Mexico. We obtained permits for our pistols at the Nogales military headquarters, then went down to Colima, to the beach between Colima and Michoacan, where the rio Coahuana entered the gulf for our initial break in. At that time this was a dirt road and the end of any roads on the west coast of Mexico, beyond was uncharted territory until you reached Acapulco. Excellent training ground.
We eventually arrived at Colima, then went to the beach where we decided to say for a week or so toughening up. Actually we had no choice, there were 'no' roads south between Colima and Acapulco.

Today, from Nogales, or any other port of entry, you go down a modern, well constructed 4 lane divided hiway to a large, efficient, Customs and Immigration area where you are quickly processed and are on your way. There are no further custom inspections, except for a possible roving one primarily looking for weapons, they generally simply wave you through when they see your temporary import permit on your windshield. There are many many modern gasoline stations all with good to excellent resturants and sanitary services. They even wash your windshields.

All rivers are crossed with excellent wide concrete bridges now. Asmentioned, a modern highway runs down the length of the West coast of Mexico, where we walked and at times cut a trail, you can now cruise at 70 miles per hour. Places where we set up camp on lonely beaches, now have towns, sigh.

Some times I feel as the old mountain men must have. out living my time. ©@

Don Jose de La Mancha

P.S. A nice lovely mule carrying your goodies is much easier - hint This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 7 years 2 weeks ago #12383

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 178
Gracias Don Jose, you can never have to much information / ideas and methods for survival in the jungle.
Do you have any good recipes for mule stew? :laugh:
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 7 years 2 weeks ago #12385

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 35
Legend has it that mule meat is sweeter than horse meat and either one is tastier than beef. According to what I have read, Apaches and the other desert tribes would kill and eat the mules first.
I have no first hand knowledge of the relative merits of the first two, but I have learned to never say never. Any recipes will be duly noted.
:)
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 6 years 11 months ago #12552

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello Ropefish

Strange enough I do not recalled eating horse meat but then who knows what really goes into meat pies?

However I can assure you Asian water buffalo is excellent. in fact a rather buffalo cut into steaks fried on hot plate over a wood fires garlic herbs and Moroccan seasoning.

Kanacki

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 6 years 11 months ago #12666

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
I recently posted the following story here on the Forums, Extensive Maya Site Discovered Southeast of Campeche, and I must say that I was concerned when I first read the story that the this discovery may possibly be the site that the Mayan Library is located.
However, after reviewing the location on the maps, and while the site is very close, I believe that this discovery is far enough to the North and West, that it would place it outside of our search aria.

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 6 years 11 months ago #12667

G'morning Wreck diver. Wanna borrow my slightly used OUIJA board?? Works nicely after a few of Kanacker's boot leg beer.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 6 years 11 months ago #12668

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
LOL, thanks Don Jose, bit I don't think that will be of much help.

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 6 years 11 months ago #12672

Ever try one?? I haven't snicker

Don Jose de La Mancha

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 6 years 11 months ago #12677

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello Wreckdiver

It seem there is some amazing opportunities over your part of the world. You some how got me interested in visiting lake Atitlan, what a beautiful place. I am tempted to visit as a tourist.The other half has taken a liking to it.

Kanacki

Re: Golden Library of the Maya 6 years 11 months ago #12679

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
It's a beautiful country to be sure, and you will defiantly need to put Lake Atitlan on your bucket list.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate