Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(187 Viewing)  (187) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend?

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14655

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Well being considered as an old established people of Rabaul. My parent rebuilt their lives there in service of the Australian government. And from the ashes Rabaul rose once again.

Of of six civilians that survived the occupation two or three returned after the war . One such was old Gordon Thomas was the local editor of the Rabaul newspaper before the war. he used to mesmerize us kid with stories from the war and occupation. One such story was of the looting by the Japanese.

With all the war crime trial of the atrocities committed on Australians and Natives in Rabaul nothing ever was mentioned of the 1200 Chinese who vanished off the face of the earth.

But old Gordon knew as he was their fate. On the first night of occupation of Rabaul the Japanese Army ransacked, raped, murdered and looted the Chinese. With terrible crimes of rape, murder and unborn babies cut from their mothers wombs and stabbed by bayonet. He told us of terrible screams that went on in the China town part of Rabaul.

The local Chinese community was rather prosperous back then and much of their treasure because of their distrust with banks was hidden in their homes. Much was looted by the Japanese. But much today is buried in the ruined foundations of their homes. Many of the next generation could not find much of the wealth of their parents and grandparents. Many did not survive the war. As the Japanese was particularly brutal to the Chinese.

The Rabaul branch of the bank of New South Wales had the Australian government administration money to run the territory in it. As well as money from private customers. Miners and merchants. Missionaries, plantations owners and shipping agents. That was all left behind as the Japanese invaded. which could be a considerable funds.

That money he believed is still hidden in hills somewhere by the gang of Japanese soldiers who broke in and blew the safe. As most Japanese troops stayed on in Rabaul . It was hard for them to get it back to Japan and in fear of having their plunder stolen by fellow Japanese. It is rumored they buried the stash in the surrounding hills.

Was it recovered or still there no one really knows?

Kanacki
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Kanacki.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14656

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Again and to top off the treasure story.

I Like to show you some of places we would explored as kids the old Japaneses tunnel network 380 kilometers of it into hills around Rabaul.

There was underground command centers, Submarine base. Armories and hospitals, barrack's and bomb shelters, storehouses and workshops.

In all it housed nearly 70000 Japanese soldiers. To day a lot of the tunnels cannot be explored as many not all are open for tourism. Many still have huge amounts of ordinance that to dangerous to move.However many others are open as a tourist attraction providing much needed capital.

Enjoy Kanacki
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14658

• cache n rum
  • Junior Treasure Hunter
Hi Kanacki ,
Having looked via you tube , at Rabul , it is quite evident why you have a passion for the place , seeing footage pre-eruption was nice to see , and it does feel welcoming , hell even the local music was making me relax. Mango Avenue made me smile.
Yet your never far away from reminders of it`s history. Still , personally i like the look of the place.
I`ll assume you have more than likely seen the clip , but i`ll add it anyway.

Thank you for posting.

cache n rum

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14660

Kana ki: most of my stories are locked up in my coco. You have managed to pry some of them out of me, but one which may stilt be valid is right up your maritime alley,
whether it is still worth salvaging - WW II era- remains to be seen want it ?

;;don Jose de La Mancha de la mancha

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14662

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Cache and Rum thank you so much for the Film clips yeah that was how it was. I spent many a time in the yacht club. Mango st etc....

Don Jose post away your story my friends I happy both of you enjoyed the the Rabaul story. I am going to be picked up in a day or two and fly off for another adventure in Hardlucks private jet. Not quite sure when I will be back but... I always look in at treasure works as its nice to see Wreckdivers web Forum growing with more posters and members.

Best kanacki
The following user(s) said Thank You: wreckdiver

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14670

I'll wait, besides I may have mentioned it before

Don Jose de La Mancha

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14707

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello don Jose I hope that black birder pirate scallywag of a crow has not been corrupting you too much? :lol:

You know he can talk the ears off an elephant. :lol:

Especially with a few home brews under his belt. :ohmy:

I have enjoying the other 2 thirds of the unholy trio as of late. Catching up. I hope you find the time to tell us your stories of the Solomon's.

Some other friends of mine search for WW2 wrecks across the pacific. Perhaps they have found your wreck.

Kanacki

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14708

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Finishing the treasure story.

Rabaul was just about obliterated by the last volcanic eruption in 1994. However there is a positive, Since one half of the Town was destroyed. The old China town that was destroyed in WW2 is now accessible as the new town buildings that occupied the area after WW2 has been destroyed. This provides an ideal opportunity for metal detectorists to discover treasures left by the Chinese of WW2.

There could be a large treasure trove of treasure to be found in the foundations of the old town? Since that part of town has been officially abandoned there is less interference from past landholders as they have been resettled down the coast. Of course one should also be aware of dangers of unexploded bombs buried in the ground from WW2.

Kanacki
Attachments:

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14713

Hello pivot man of the unholy trio ! First, Hi to your wife and the girls.,

I was sitting in the plaza enjoying my usual occupation , drinking my usual coffee while watching the Sunday promenade of the lovely young Senoritas when I noticed two gentlemen watching me intently.

After a while they came over to my table and introduced themselves. It seems that they were looking for me for a special project, "you can still do celestial Navigation Mr Curry'?? one asked :Yes, I may be a bit rusty, but it will come back in a day or so ( GPS wasn't even dreamed of then)

They handed me a piece of paper to sign, a very strict confidentiality agreement, which I did -- for curiosity more than anything,

It seems that they needed a person not even remotely connected to any one of their group to handle a salvage program for them. - I still don't know why they asked me, the world is full of far greater qualified men .. Perhaps because of my recent spat with Castro to fly PMY's for him??

The story that I am about to post takes place right AFTER WW-II. It was a time of tremendous war surplus materials that couldn't be brought back to the US ?? They claimed that would offer unfair competition to the many start up companies.

According to their story an Admiral stationed in Guam, was assigned this task
.In any event , they loaded several ships with war goodies then under the command of the Admiral, sailed From Guam.

The admiral ordered that no notes or attempts to navigate would be allowed, only his flag ship would do this..

They cruised around for a few days then proceeded to unload their surplus military equipment supposedly into the Marianna Trench, the deepest water around , Then sailed back to Guam for another load, -- but it wasn't the trench but a shallow mesa on top of an undersea mt. fully salvageable with diving gear of the period.

The materiel that they disposed of in this manner included Jeeps, office gear, light aircraft, etc all in tropical watertight packing.- sealed plastic sheets - inside of a wooden open box type of structure..

I asked them how and why did they happened to pick on me, they never answered. In any event the time for me to take command came and went, I never heard form them again nor any rumors of a salvage operation.

Sigh story of my life. It woulda been fun - and profitable. I wonder if any of that equipment is still salvageable ? It was in watertight tropical packing in general

Oh well just another story in my life to be used to bum another cuppa of coffee Kanacki ??

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14714

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Don Jose. You have indeed earn your cuppa coffee.

A very interesting story. If I was to guess the dumping ground was in an area off the island of Tinian to the west?

Kanacki
The following user(s) said Thank You: Don Jose de La Mancha

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14724

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14725

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
A fine ship Don Jose. A little too big for me though.that sailing ship reminds me of the Chilean one.

kanacki

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14741

Just right especially with an all girl crew, I am sure that Crow would agree with me..

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14745

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Nah

Not if one of them comes back with a bun in the oven.

Kanacki

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14751

ya mean Crow is going to have a family ???

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 9 months ago #14756

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Don Jose

I do not know. I heard from my wife that one of the girls came back pregnant. However as you can imagine single women from 18 to 30 who stuck up friendships in many places with many people. Your guess is as good as mine.

Kanacki

Been a little quiet lately any up for treasure legend? 5 years 8 months ago #14800

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Speaking about quiet

Take a look at this,,,,This is what I called leaving my home town with a Bang

Going out with a bang

Kanacki
  • Page:
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate