Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(120 Viewing)  (120) Guest

TOPIC: Kentuckys Spainish Silver Hole

Kentuckys Spainish Silver Hole 8 years 8 months ago #4147

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
There is a legend of a lost Spanish mule train of silver that was attacked by hostile Indians in western Kentucky in the early days of exploration in an area sparsely settled by the Spainish. It was belived the Spanish has learned of a rich silver mine from trading with indians.The Spanish found the location of the mine and mined it for some time until driven off by the local indian population.

The comander of the mule train at the time decided they could not get far trying to transport the silver. Decided to toss the silver down a well and then retreat for the lives.However he and most of his party was later killed by the indian. An priest traveling with the band of Spanish survived and later made notes about the location of the supossed well.

Many years later the priests documents were found in Spain which gave a fairly good idea of location of well. From the documents they traced the present day property owner and made a deal.

Today a group of researchers manged to track down the location of the well but discovered there was no evidence of occupation or even well at the location but they did find a sinkhole. They concluded that the Spainish Priest and the commander mistook the sinkhole for a well at the time.

They were successful in lowering themselves into the sink hole only to find the bottom of the sinkhole opened out like the inside of a huge bell and at the bottom was a underground stream with huge boulders and mud down inside but concluded that the silvers was buried deep in the mud at the bottom of the sinkhole. They made and interesting discovery of a hand hewn tinber that was part of a crate. Was it conected to the treasure they were seeking?

The group are at present organising another vist to the site with better equipment to explore the bottom of the sinkhole with.

Is it all a pipe dream or some thing there well time will tell.

Kanacki
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Kentuckys Spainish Silver Hole 8 years 8 months ago #4166

• 1BootySeeker
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 1
Being from Kentucky and familiar with the area... I have seen sinkholes open up all over the place and over time they can shift. Western Kentucky is also where Mamouth Cave is located and there are caverns running throughout the state underground that have yet to be explored fully. If the Spanish treasure location is ever pinpointed... an ever changing sinkhole and caverns below ground from years past would make the discovery very difficult. But a great story none the less!

Re: Kentuckys Spainish Silver Hole 8 years 8 months ago #4169

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello 1bootyseeker

Thanks for theheads up and the info on sinkholes, I did not know some can shift over time.

Kanacki

Re: Kentuckys Spainish Silver Hole 8 years 8 months ago #4187

• 1BootySeeker
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 1
Oh yeah... when you think about it the earth is really in a constant shifting state to some degree... You only feel it when the big quakes hit but I've seen sinkholes open up and then shift to some degree over time... I'm of course not indicating they move across the field or anything but over a few years you may notice the ground has shifted and the sinkhole could be more at an angle than if it originally started out going straight down etc. All depends on the movement of the earth I guess.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate