Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(115 Viewing)  (115) Guest

TOPIC: Hidden gold from the Custer Mine

Hidden gold from the Custer Mine 8 years 8 months ago #4318

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Here is a story of robber never retriving his gold.

In the late 1870s, gold bars were regularly shipped from the Custer mine in Custer County, Idaho. One of these shipments was intercepted by a lone highwayman on Root Hog Divide, a few miles east of the Big Butte Stage Station in Butte County.

He was tracked by a possie northward up Little Lost River but was not overtaken. He was, however, later surprised in a gambling place in Salmon City. The bandit had $5000 of the loot on his person and readily agreed to take officers to the remainder, which he said he had buried in the lava beds near the spot where he had taken it.

Upon arriving at the scene, he cleverly escaped and was never seen again. Some 30 years later a man from New Mexico in 1905 arrived with a map on which was marked the location of a cave near the old stage road on Root Hog Divide. He claimed the map had been given to him by the robber, who was afraid to return for the gold.

As far as it was known the man left without finding the gold bars, which are presumed to be there still.in a cave or in the old lava beds awaiting a lucky finder?

Kanacki
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate