Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(99 Viewing)  (99) Guest

TOPIC: Milton Sharpe's bandit loot

Milton Sharpe's bandit loot 8 years 7 months ago #4441

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
There was an outlaw that robbed stage coaches on the roads around Aurora Nevada and Bodie California between 1870 -1881 by the name of Milton Sharp.

Known as a courteous robber, Milton Sharp teamed with W.C. Jones to rob 'Wells Fargo Express' stagecoaches as the coaches were carrying money from one bank to another. Jones would guard the passengers with a gun as Sharp would relinquish the stagecoaches of their strongboxes and women of their jewlery.

Sharp stood out from other outlaws as a well-spoken and well-dressed robber. It was even said that if a woman cried during the robbery, he might return her jewelry. He also liked to bury his treasure, and never told of his secret hiding spots.

He was apprehended several times, and was as talented at escaping from prison as he was at robbing stagecoaches. He was eventually declared rehabilitated by the penal system, and lead a law-abbiding life thereafter. In his new life and he never returned to reclaim hls ill gotten gains from his days as a robber.

Thought to have robbed over 20 stages during his outlaw career, what happened to his treasure is unknown?

In 1910, two brothers by the names of Gus and Will Hess claimed to have found small amounts of Sharp's loot hidden in the hills of Bodie, CA. However, it is estimated that over 70% of the treasure has never been found.

Some of treasure is rumored to be buried still on old stage roads around Aurora Nevada and Bodie California?

Kanacki This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Milton Sharpe's bandit loot 6 years 10 months ago #13085

G'morning, coffee as usual? My grand father once mentioned that his father, my great grandfather, was prospecting S of Reno, Nevada. the area had a few prospecting shafts, in the bottom of one, he saw a Wells Fargo box with it's locks still intact. He always intended to return and salvage it ,

When he did, it was no longer visible, he simply couldn't remember wjic prospecting hole it was in .

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s Where are you Kanacker?? off on another sailing trip?
Last Edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Don Jose de La Mancha.

Re: Milton Sharpe's bandit loot 6 years 9 months ago #13122

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello Don Jose

interesting story. I am sorry not to have replied sooner I have been at sea. we are at Maggie staying at Crows place " The Crows nest" We call it. Llanai my wife and my daughters have been buying in Townsville so I will have to anchor at the marina in Townsillve or at the yacht club in the river.

It will work out well because there is a boat yard where I can replace some running gear before We set out tomorrow.

Kanacki.

Re: Milton Sharpe's bandit loot 6 years 9 months ago #13124

G'evening Kanacki & familia "HI GALS", I am looking forward to meeting you some day. Crow and Hard luck have been keeping me up to date on the different legs of your voyage. Tell me, as Hard luck, the only Bachelor of the unholy trio claims , is your crew entirely of beautiful, dusky, maidens?? Sigh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. again please say "Hi" to your family.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate