Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(642 Viewing)  (642) Guest

TOPIC: Some lost treasure tales are true

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 4 months ago #13876

allo uni, usual tea and smooch ? So el Crow has a bad neck, Maybe he & I can compare injuries as two old (He anyway) soldierss, such as I and the Ole Mexican Col did on the plaza hehehhehe.compare defects in our anatomy,

Kanacker, I have two broken vertibrae in my neck which tend to lock up at times, do ya think that the girls would
? Shucks I can't compete with him, he hasem spoiled..

Post em K, need your wonderful stories, my coffee is twice as enjoyable with em.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 4 months ago #13879

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello Don Jose

Its getting time again. Watch this space as we sailing off through Society group onto Samoa. Then onto Vanuatu Solomon islands. I may even visit my treasure island with the waterfall before heading New Britain. Catch up with old friends in Rabul, then back to Micronesia.

I could stay longer in Tahiti as I am at risk of some of my crew jumping ship. As some of girls have struck up friendships...

Providing we are not held up with any capers from the loveable deadbeat beach bum I shanghaied from Maggie.

Kanacki
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Kanacki.

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 4 months ago #13881

hi Kanacki: be sure to hit the island with the waterfall, I have many questions, but not on the basic, open internet.

soo now Crow is a loveable deadbeat ? He certainly has the girls fooled, or is it sympathetic 'momyism' showing up? sorta like having a cute, stray pup show up half starved.

Be sure this time to say good evening etc to your wife, also the girls, I can't depend upon the modern version of "OLD CROW" Booze to do that wile he is living a males dream.

Sides we are occupied with deciphering Kipu knots

Where is Amy ? has she picked up boy friends in the islands?

Soo many questions my friend soo many.

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s Sat phone no. 011-8816-325-44621. Monitored at noon local sidereal time daily. if you have an emergency and can't reach others.

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 4 months ago #13882

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Don Jose

Yeah Crow is a loveable old scoundrel enjoying every minute of himself. Yes you hit the nail on the nail on the head. He plays those girls like fiddle. Heaven help him if they catch on. Even more he has had so much fun taunting authorities. They do not quite know what to make of us. They have gone through us like Montezuma revenge. We have changed several times our sail plan. other than that the voyage so has been excellent.

So I read hes tied you up in knots...Hmm It might pay you to asked him about his version of the "Indian rope trick"

As for Amy we caught up with her over christmas and new year with her husband to be. A professional soccer player who has just retired. They are getting married later this year so the unholy trio will attend her wedding. She is on her way to Vatican again as she is working on behalf of law firm in litigation against the Vatican bank. So sadly we will not see her for quite awhile.

As for that water fall well we will see if our timing is right and all the boxes are ticked. As we are all part of The generals maneuvers. Thank you for your concerns my friend. We travel where the fair wind takes us.

Until next time.

My island princess sends her regards to you and your family

Kanacki

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 4 months ago #13883

Soccer player?? sheesh Amy deserves far, far, better, me for example, but unfortunately
I am tooked.- have been for about 60 years. then there are Unicorn, Judy, and others in line. first, sigh sorry Amy

Crow ya deadbeat, leave em alone,. sigh

Kanacki, for some reason you, and the others of the unholy trio seem to be part of my family, and yes, i do worry about Typhoons and the Drumbeat.

I also intend to bleed you of stories, so far you have been doing magnificently.

Naturally hi to the feminie part of the Drumbeat crew especially your lovely, patient wife

Ah heck Kanacki you know what I intend to say, "be careful"

Remember Crow is mine also, so scratch his back and rub his neck,, even keep him boozed up, if that is what he wants. .--- course there IS a limit !!!

heeheh

Don Jose de La Mancha

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 4 months ago #13885

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Don Jose

Thank you for concern but you need not worry the Drumbeat has 5 steel bulkheads reinforced into the hull and a collision bulkhead. each bulk head has its own emergency electric bilge pump and in the hull space of each bulkhead section the is float value. If flooding occurs the electric pump automatically kicks sound an alarm in the chart room pilot house.

We have already proved its value as no 5 bulkhead the bow from the machinery room and laundry the washing machine supply hose broke flooding fresh water from one of storage tanks in No 5 Bulkhead hull space. my son has done some wonderful work updating some of Systems especially with the electronics.

Personally I was dial and button man. All control of the ships functions can be control via lap top or ships computer. if both Systems crash. A flick of a button back to the old buttons and nobs control panel system.So we have various back up systems plus fire fighting systems in each bulkhead.

Most of electric. pumps and generators water making machine are monitored on screen as well as the engines heat pressure fuel level. Water storage grey water and wast water tanks.

The "Love Tub" is pretty solid beast the only problem is ventilation below decks in the hot tropics. Some of cabins can get very warm. At sea if weather permits Crow devised a sail wind scoop that funnels the wind down into below decks creating draft pushing any hot air out another hatchway. That only works if there is wind. er... I should also say my other better half... my Wife did a fantastic job sewing it all together. that and poor quality sails we had at the beginning of the voyage.

The drumbeat may look like an old sailing ship from the outside but shes a very different beast behind all the traditional wood paneling. Short of being run over by a tanker she a pretty safe bucket at least much more safe that the Bounty was. The last few months at sea Me, my son and Crow has been fine tuning the displacement. We have 24 tons of ballast.

Today we are at the island of Moorea not far from Tahiti. We are anchored in one of the most beautiful bays I have ever seen every time I am on deck I am awestruck. They have a dance show on the island for tourists and there is fantastic restaurant on the beach, I recommend the duck if you ever visit there.

And Wreckdiver please forgive me as I have gone off topic as usual. For the start of this thread was the question Are Some Treasure legend are True?

My good friend Crow once met an elderly gent few years ago who in the mid 1960's was actually involved in search of Cocos island for treasure. They were at the time perhaps a little better organized than so many of the expeditions of the 1930's.

He was part of of Four students from France. Actually some of them were originally Polish but grew up in France. They discovered 2 skeletons in cave with several bars of gold and coins. it was perhaps not the main cache but nice discovery indeed. It appeared both remains were of men from the mid 1840's and it appeared greed had got the better of them. However it still help set all of them for life. No one would have ever know except of of the men wanted to write a book because he blew his share of the money.

And because of this Students years later there was falling out amongst themselves. Such as the lure of treasure which some times does happen. One of them move to Polynesia and lived for forty odd years on Bora Bora. But sold his private island and was living in a home with other family members in Moorea. Crow and me managed to contact him via the telephone book as the old man remembered his past meeting with Crow. We are planning to pay him a visit for old times sake. So you see some times treasure legends can turn out to be more than just mere legends.

I am looking forward to talking with and having a coffee with this old long retired treasure hunter.

Kanacki
Last Edit: 6 years 4 months ago by Kanacki. Reason: clarity

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 4 months ago #13886

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 178
Kanacki, No es un problema! I enjoy reading your exploits and you just keep living the dream my friend. I would love to see some pictures from your journey, so if you have a mind too please post some pics.
Above all, keep having an outstanding time!

Tommy
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 4 months ago #13887

Allo Tommy el WD: you posted to K, post more pictures. I second that,,,,,,,,, especially of the GALS>

Don Jose de La Mancha

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 4 months ago #13888

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Don Jose

I do not want to be one getting you into trouble with poor Lupita? Those girls has gotten poor Crow in trouble..... :laugh:

Greeting my friends

What words in poetry enough can describe Moorea. If paradise was a star that fell from heaven, Moorea would be that star, that shining green jewel sitting triumphantly on the sea of the moon. Moorea is everything the stereo type image of paradise. It is high island with magnificent peaks jutting skyward like knife blades covered with tropical Forrest. Its bays dwarf cruise ships and her reefs are clustered with coral and fish all colours of the rainbow. The water shimmers for turquoise blue to iridescent aquamarine and the blue sky changes with ever cloud pattern forming on the peak tops. All framed by white sandy beaches sparking in the middays sun.

It did again as my first visit. Wild notions flood brain Yeah I could drop out here...... hell I already dropped out. How can this be and yet Moorea like the tempestuous she is lures you into a dream like state. Moorea has not the rush and hustle of Papeete the capital of Tahiti which has lost its Polynesia flavour to reinvent itself as an mini neurotic nightmare of a long lost paradise.

Moorea was a different world. While it still had some of trappings of the modern world is was much more laid back. This place much the opposite of what was across the sea of the moon in Tahiti. Less traffic, less hassle every one I encountered lived on island time. And it was my time slowly the island like masseur worked its magic on you and anxiety and worries drift away with gentle sea breezes, blowing on the palm fronds and the smell of frangipanis and Bouganvillas brought colour as a visual feast to the eyes.

Once again Moorea triggered the emotions like the temptress she is... Suddenly my poor wife had been asking me question but getting no answers and sensing I was far away in reflection. It is funny after so many years your spouse can sense what your thinking and especially you have been living in a long intimate relationship the more they can sense it. And hiding those thoughts only added to her determination to point out the cons of such notions. In which my beautiful island princess gave wise words of reasons of why we cannot. Snapping me out of Moorea's intoxicating charms.

So you see Moorea has that ability to put a spell on you my friends.

We had anchored on Cooks bay for few days... Crow and Crew were more than happy staying here as the scenery was breathtaking. Crow had also been here years before. He lived her for 2 months or so until he wore out his welcome.... We had a 90 day visa for French Polynesia and 2 months left so plenty of time no rush. You know Just like a westerner I and my son planned the whole trip with so many days here and so many days there well hell that went out the window the first few days at sea from Micronesia. What a fool I was to think that. But perhaps that is the code of tropical tramps to have no itinerary to travel on the whims of the wind body and soul.

And such is the whims of this island as she seduces you by her charms. Yet the harsh realities of those who live hear are around you every day working trying to make a living. Feeding off the tourists who come here dreaming of paradise is main provider of their livelihood.

Moorea was a place of interesting people, the people who has colouful pasts and stories to tell. Many were entrenched in island life. All refugees of a lost generation of dreamers who could not face harsh realities of the masses and problems of the outside world. As when Moorea takes you under her bosom, the outside word seem irreverent.

One such refugee was a dreamer of fortune and glory and finder of fortune if not the glory. Who was this man? This some now old man that could of and really was some ones great grandfather winked from all the years in the sun with each line could tell a story.

Any yet Crow the old pirate some where is drink sodden brain he saw through this old man in a chance meeting in Bora Bora which many police officer would have been proud. As the old man carefully alluded things in a bar room conversation Crow had filled the dots. Surprising and frightening the old man with how much he already new....

It was only after careful guarded conversation the old man opened up. However that was several years ago and now the opportunity arose once more. By chance the surname was in local telephone directory of Island and chance call was responded by hesitant response from the old man's daughter. And yet at the last moment there was change of heart perhaps the old man was beyond caring he invited us to visit.

Is was a very interesting visit my friends as It not every day you meet in person a man who recovered some treasure from the legendary Cocos Island.

To be continued my friends.

Kanacki

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 6 years 3 months ago #13966

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Again

There we were meeting this old man who absently claimed to have found some treasure on Cocos island? Who perhaps had been smarter and more successful then many could ever dream of.

We exchange awkward pleasantries as we visited him at his rather humble home. Not the great mansion of pretentiousness. However comfortable with tropical gardens all around with blooms of bright bougainvilleas and the blossoms of hibiscus flowers . The front of the house there was large pick nick table shaded by a huge mango tree.

So ya come to talk about Cocos he muttered. Knowing all too well that is why we had come. Crow told him it was just a visit and yarn and assured him no names would ever be revealed. As crow had honored the old mans wishes before must of curried favor with old man? And now the opportunity to talk of things hardly if ever mentioned his past adventure on Cocos in the 1960's was a chance to not miss.

We was offered mango juice each in hollowed out mango with crush ice and vodka.Crow was all to ready to oblige and I followed suit. We having very similar lives living on different islands of the pacific drew an instant re-pore which was quickly able to convince the old man that we were not foes. Just interested in hearing a yarn, his story.

He told us he was the most skeptical one of the four and the life he had back in France. The lure of treasure is a universal one my friends that transcends all cultures and languages. He leaned forward as if he was afraid to have being heard you realize our search did not have a permit from Costa Rican Authorities we made an illegal one. That was one of driving reasons we never wanted to go public. It was his friend who wrote a book after losing his share of the money against the wishes of the others.

his friend was the driving force who researched the story and even made a trip to Newfoundland. They found descendants of Keatings second wife living in ST Johns and a family member actually had a photograph of Keating in his later years. A sullen man haunted by the fact everyone wanted to know his secret. His line died out with the death of his daughter and wife from his first marriage. His second wife was much younger and she had married him under the urging of her family for keatings secret.

Unknown to many people Keating made apparently two partly successful trips to Cocos. once in 1841 and 1845, in which both ended up in mutinies. What very few realize that he made two more attempts to organize expeditions once in 1847 and much later in the late 1868's with Fitzgerald. Keating was insanely suspicious of everyone and Fitzgerald was not sure he could trust Keating when there on Cocos with his life.

One thing the Four treasure hunters gathered in the 1960'S that there was more than one treasure on the island in fact several. Their research and planing was second to none. They had preplanned the expedition down to fine detail. They were dropped off on Cocos at Chatham Bay.

It was everything and more. Thick jungle high humidity, ferocious ants, steep terrain and constantly wet. They had obtained a copy of a map Keating indicated to Nick Fitzgerald that showed several locations around the island of caches. The main cave that Keating had allegedly obtained treasure from was in Chatham Bay. The legendary pivoting door was long gone dug out empty.

They progressively worked the other sites to no avail until they found a cave on Cabo Atriva, small hill overlooking the sea on the South Eastern Part of the island. Here they found the two skeletons as previously mentioned. The treasure divided between the four of amounted to about 100 coins each and about 5 and a half bars each. They had smuggled the treasure back to France in the days when it was possible.

A fortune no but a great start to any young mans life. But as life goes there was dissension between the four as one lost nearly all his money and others diffed their separate ways . One went on the be leading surgeon in France and the old man well he travels to Tahiti and found his real treasure the beautiful Tahitian wife by his side for the last 45 odd years. He was able to buy a small motu (Island) as set up Honeymoon accommodation there just when the tourist boom hit after the Marlon Brando Movie Mutiny on the Bounty..

So in effect against the odds as many treasure hunters do not have such happy endings in their quest, This old man who shunned the lime light kept very quiet and profited enough to end up having a good life was a rare success. I asked him did he think there was treasure still to be found there. he shrugged his shoulders he did not know as search there is so hard many things could still be hidden there.

One thing he was convinced of treasure from the Cave Keating obtained his treasure from was long gone. In a final gesture be brought out some mementos as to some how prove his story to us.. His elderly companion brought out an old box. Inside he pulled out two old Gold coins from the late 1790's.

I must admit as looked at the shiny gold coins I trembled a little thinking perhaps this was a little bit of the Legendary Loot Of Lima in my hands like a sacred object? He said he had nothing to prove anymore as the world can take it or leave it. And perhaps it was the simple fact we just wanted to hear his story he gave us a map as a final parting Gesture.

Here find your own treasure with his index finger pointing to the Bay of Hope he said. After Cabo Atriva we lost interest searching some where else. And with that he stood up and said I have found my treasure as his hand gestured around his garden.

Our journey back to Town was silent as I sensed poor Crows mind ticking over. And In wry twang I said no we are not going to Cocos.

For me I cannot decide an old sailors yarn to pass the time to prove what? Just to satisfy an old mans ego? Or did me and Crow handle two Coins from the Fabled loot of Lima?

In the beautiful sunny surroundings it was not really important as it added to the Magic and charms of Moorea.

Kanacki
The following user(s) said Thank You: embrym

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 11 months ago #14495

• embrym
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Interesting story. Any update?
There are no ancient secrets to decoding the past, there is only great research and applied logic.

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 10 months ago #14524

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Embrym

Pleased to meet you. The last few moths of the trip we sailed from Tahiti west through the western pacific back to Micronesia via the Solomon islands and Vanuatu. The drumbeat is now up on the slipway. One thing I can guarantee you with boats money goes in nothing comes out. :laugh:

I have recently gone to look at another vessel a Schooner in Thailand. Beautiful vessel but a whole different beast than the Drumbeat. The Drumbeat has 5 bulkheads that make her very tough able to handle any seas.However anyone who sails in her always complains of lack of ventilation below decks. She was designed and built for cold north Atlantic swells not for the hot tropics.

The schooner I and my son looked at has none.She is gaff rigged schooner that has different sailing properties however he has air conditioning but not designed for deep ocean voyages. she is more of coastal voyaging vessel for tourists around the islands. Ideal for the tropics. But I an still thinking about it.

kanacki

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 10 months ago #14527

Ya blew it for poor Crow

Re: Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 10 months ago #14528

• embrym
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Thanks for update.
There are no ancient secrets to decoding the past, there is only great research and applied logic.

Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 10 months ago #14622

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hello Don Jose La Mancha

One thing about raggedy scruffy old Crow is he is hard to Kill. You can just about nuke em and Ya still find him straggling around as he is a ruff old Bird. I will be seeing him next year.

Kanacki

Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 9 months ago #14626

Yep Kanacer, the old Coot err Crow, keeps up with we young ones quite well. As a matter of fact ----
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Don Jose de La Mancha.

Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 9 months ago #14627

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Yep apparently he had more lead in the pencil than everyone imagined..

Kanacki

Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 9 months ago #14628

Now abut this Kancaki guy

Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 9 months ago #14629

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
What about this charming modest Kanacki?

Kanacki

Some lost treasure tales are true 5 years 9 months ago #14630

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Join me for lunch Don Mancha?

Herbal Rice and fish snapper sushi? Fresh from the sea caught 2 hours ago. Lunch is served on the deck of the drumbeat. As she sits in the lagoon facing the mountain of the sleeping lady?

Now what shall we talk about?

Kanacki
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate