Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(1388 Viewing)  (1388) Guest

TOPIC: Old money, new method

Old money, new method 3 years 4 months ago #16777

• signumops
  • Treasure Hobbyist
  • Thank you received: 2
1715 wrecks have been peppered by diggers with boats, and in some locations, boats still can get to the gold... but not most of the treasure still left in the shallows. Ships went to shore and there's lots of stuff in the surf zone. You have to pick your days to get close, but there are many locations where you can't go with a boat near shore on the best of days. I've thought about this for years. Here's a concept that I think would work. The average size boat now working the sites will easily serve for support. The deadman submersible can be towed to and from without difficulty. I have been using a 3 inch trash pump on a job at Deseret ranch for several years and it really puts out the water... one man can pick the thing up without difficulty and move it. Problem would be handling the fire nozzle in the shallows, so I've devised the pictured platform to act as an anchor point. A Brownie would supply the air, and the trash pump would do the rest. There is a bypass on the water stream that could actually jet the platform into position away from the support boat. I drew the illustrations using SketchUp 2015. Actually, the tanks only displace about 1000 pounds, not a ton, as the captions imply. Still plenty to float the platform, even if you made it of steel. To neutralize its buoyancy, you would use about six cubic feet of air (depending upon the weight of the finished platform, plus the 210 pound deadman). If the concrete pig was not sufficient, you can switch it out for a heavier, or lighter one... just concrete with a tie bar inside of a PVC jacket... easy on, easy off.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by signumops. Reason: addenda
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wreckdiver, WhiteFeather

Old money, new method 3 years 4 months ago #16780

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 400
Very interesting signumops. I copied your pictures for a reference. I have some of the equipment already in my shop but I have been going with the dredge route rather than the water blaster system. I would still like to try your idea on a smaller scale. The "dust" kicked up by the jet of water can be very dense and limit vision if the current is going the wrong way or if you are in a space limited area. Drawing the unsettled sand and mud away has always been my preference. Also, when you are near shore there are always gawkers and nosey people that can cause problems. The murky water is a dead giveaway that you are digging or blowing holes in the bottom. Even if you have the proper permits and such gawkers can throw a wrench into a perfectly innocent dig with very little effort. With a vacuum system that throws the sand/mud away a bit offshore and keeps the cloud of "dust" to a minimum would limit overhead giveaways that you are digging or water blasting holes in the sand. Just a thought.....I do want to see if your idea would be feasible, especially in rough surf where the bottom is already churned up. I might try it on a much smaller scale. I could work such a design into the pontoon boat I am building if it looks good in practice.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate