Originally the NUESTRA SEN0RA DEL CARMEN Y SAN ANTONIO was a British 3rd rate Ship of the Line named Hampton Court. She was ordered in April of 1677 and her 138ft long keel was laid later that year at Deptford shipyard.
The Hampton Court had a gundeck length of 149ft 6 inches and a breadth (beam) of 39ft 10 inches. Her massive hold was 17ft 2 inches deep drafting 18ft aft. Its massive burthen was 1,164 tons and she carried 70 cannon. In 1678 her broadside weight was 617 tons carrying 26 British Demi-Cannon on her lower gun deck, 26 British 12-pounders on her upper gun deck, 10 British sakers on her Quarterdeck, 4 British sakers on her Forecastle and 4 British 3-pounders on her Roundhouse.
John Shish the master shipbuilder had the Hampton Court completed and launched on July 10 1678 and Sir John Holmes captained her.
The Hampton Court as a British warship saw action in the battles of Beachy Head, Barfleur and La Hogue. In 1699 she was laid up in Portsmouth to have a rebuild that started in 1706. ** another sources dates a rebuild at Blackwall launched in 1701.** May 1 1707 present at the action off Brighthelmstone.
On May 1 1707 at the battle of Beachy Head part of the War of the Spanish Succession, 3 French ships, the Dauphine, Blackoal and Grifon grappled the HMS Hampton Court. The French crews boarded her killing her captain George Clements and took her for their prize.
In 1709 as Le Hampton Court was refitted as a 64-gun Third Rate ship of the line. On October 21 1711 re-took the Fourth Rate Ship of the Line Toulouse which had been captured by the British ship Sterling Castle off Minorca. Le Hampton Court was sold a year later at Dunkirk in 1708 to Spain where she becomes Nuestra Senora Del Carmen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.