Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(79 Viewing)  (79) Guest

TOPIC: Where did the corp dump years of dredging on the beach?

Where did the corp dump years of dredging on the beach? 7 years 2 months ago #6437

• Cappy Z
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Around 1942? the Corp of Army Engineers blasted the Sebastian Inlet open. And then in later years more blasts and more dredging. I need to know where along the beach they dumped the debris. Or did they?

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Where did the corp dump years of dredging on the beach? 7 years 2 months ago #6440

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 163
Most all those little islands on the intercoastal waterway were created by dredging. Back when they first created the inlet they were not aware of all the shipwrecks, or that the mother load (Queens Jewels), of the 1715 fleet treasure went down just about a mile south of the inlet.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: Where did the corp dump years of dredging on the beach? 7 years 2 months ago #6441

• Cappy Z
  • Treasure Hobbyist
About a mile south of the inlet there is an area where about two feet under the sand is 'crushed'-shell-like hard pack. Normally one can dig five feet and its all sand.

Re: Where did the corp dump years of dredging on the beach? 7 years 2 months ago #6444

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 16
I am sure a lot of it was used to make the campground and parking and all that whole area slightly higher ground. Plus the bridge bases and the ramps of the bridges. When they do that on the interstates, they usually dig right near the bridges and exits, that is why there is usually a pond near any exit or bridge along the interstate system. Why take it far away, when you can use it right there? They did fill the beaches all along there with trucked in crappy sand. They are dredging the inlet now, and pumping it South of the Inlet, and bulldozing it out. Worth checking out.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by stevemc.

Re: Where did the corp dump years of dredging on the beach? 7 years 2 months ago #6445

• Cappy Z
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Hi Steve.

Imagine this scenario.

Over about 300 years the beaches and dunes slowly erode. During which heavy metals sink. Now about 1942 somebody dumps hard pack coquina debris along the beach right on top of much of the artifact area. The question is if one digs land side of the dumped coquina debris will the debris act as a 'natural' wall blocking salt water from rushing into a hole dug say ten feet?

Re: Where did the corp dump years of dredging on the beach? 7 years 2 months ago #6448

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 16
That coquina reef was there way before that. It is naturally formed. It was just out of water at low tide. That was all along that area, and a good place to detect prior to the beaches being filled. But yes, I am sure stuff was pushed over and trapped by the reef. The shoreline has actually built up many feet in some critical places, and others has eroded away. It also appears that there were several inlets along that whole island that have since been filled in. It is like that all along most shores that have barrier islands, over on the West Coast of Florida, many barrier islands have the filled in inlets.

Re: Where did the corp dump years of dredging on the beach? 7 years 2 months ago #6452

• Cappy Z
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Just to be clear...The area I dug down two feet was into soft loose shell coquina debris..its not a solid reef. I suspect that at some time some of that stuff exploded out to make the inlet must have been dumped on the beach. I could be wrong. But if my hunch is correct then it might be very possible artifacts are buried right under that stretch of dumped rock and shell.
Thanks for all your info, I appreciate it.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate