Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(107 Viewing)  (107) Guest

TOPIC: Tailgates Full of 1850 Toronto Bottles in Skyscraper Excavation

Tailgates Full of 1850 Toronto Bottles in Skyscraper Excavation 8 years 9 months ago #3178

• Roberrific
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Hey guys, long time no see... good to see this forum is still up and running as so many are going down lately. And yet I believe treasure hunting is more popular and more commercial viable than ever before...

My focus is on the antique glass bottles that were liberated from the ground by excavators,
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

I wrote about the historically significant, beautiful and commercially valuable antique glass bottles that have been discovered under twenty feet of earth in what will be the new parking garages of the megalithic skyscrapers that are being built downtown this summer on Dumpdiggers, Aug 13 2011.
Antique Glass Bottles Found Under Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Hotel Toronto, The Story of Rees' Wharf

The William Robertson tan coloured stoneware bottle is MINT except for a large crack on the right hand side of the label - you cant see it in the picture. And you can't buy it either because it has already been sold to a Toronto dentist for an unspecified amount where it will be displayed forevermore alongside many similar period salt glazed stoneware bottles.

This beer bottle surprised everyone. Its not in great shape and is 'sick' as we say because it has the manganese coming out of the glass - it must be tumbled to shine like new again and there's no guarantee it will ever clean up well... but this is a rare beer botle indeed...
This is a Brayn Bros Beer and Lager bottle from the late 1850s and this piece is key to the history of Hornby Ontario and there's a story here - its a puzzle how a Hornby beer bottle ended up down here at the base of Toronto, in the alake - or perhaps that's testament to the quality and distribution of Brayn Bros Brewery! It was good beer.
Last Edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Roberrific.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tailgates Full of 1850 Toronto Bottles in Skyscraper Excavation 8 years 9 months ago #3184

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 178
Excellent pictures Rob, thanks for sharing. Those are some outstanding specimens you have collected up your way. I also really like your article on the Dumpdiggers blog page, very nicely done.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: Tailgates Full of 1850 Toronto Bottles in Skyscraper Excavation 8 years 9 months ago #3196

Way too cool, looks like some good hunting
To Swim Is Human, To Dive Is SUBLIME
To bag a bug in total darkness . . . . is just the next step.

Re: Tailgates Full of 1850 Toronto Bottles in Skyscraper Excavation 8 years 8 months ago #3449

Great finds, i like the barrel and cobalt blob top, what name is on them?

Re: Tailgates Full of 1850 Toronto Bottles in Skyscraper Excavation 8 years 8 months ago #3451

• Roberrific
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Oh the barrel ink in
COMMERCIAL INK CO
LONDON
and most folks beieve they are referring to London Ontario

the soda is

PILGRIM SONS
?
I could be wrong
I didnt get a shot of either of them because it was from the day before. Also Brain Bros is the correct spelling I'm told and that was my picture and I'm so bad.. I
Last Edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Roberrific.

Re: Tailgates Full of 1850 Toronto Bottles in Skyscraper Excavation 8 years 8 months ago #3452

Nice lot of bottles for sure

Re: Tailgates Full of 1850 Toronto Bottles in Skyscraper Excavation 8 years 8 months ago #3453

Thanks for joining my site, do you collect a certain kind of bottle? I see looking at the picts you posted there are some stoneware inks in there too. Inks and blobs as well as local meds are what i am into mostly.

Re: Tailgates Full of 1850 Toronto Bottles in Skyscraper Excavation 8 years 8 months ago #3454

• Roberrific
  • Treasure Hobbyist
yes toronto pharmacy and Ontario stoneware ginger beer s
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate