Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(117 Viewing)  (116) Guest

TOPIC: PIRATES & BOTTLES

PIRATES & BOTTLES 8 years 7 months ago #3967

• Dell Winders
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 26
PIRATES & BOTTLES This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it. This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 8 years 7 months ago by Dell Winders.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: PIRATES & BOTTLES 8 years 7 months ago #3969

• Au_Dreamers
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 3
Awesome Dell!!

To think some scurvy pirate treasure hunter wrote such a fascinating tale of history and adventure. Damn those highfalutins!!

I love that olive jar. I’ve always had a drawing to bottles, ceramics, glassware and china.

I can’t really explain it. Ever since I was little when I would go antiquing with my parents I was attracted to them. I remember watching shows on TV and seeing amphora from the sea and would just be so enamored with them.

Re: PIRATES & BOTTLES 8 years 6 months ago #4768

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 16
Dell, I never saw that article, I dont think. When did it come out? Did you know my father Bill McAdoo, "bottle Bill"? He lived in Venice , Florida, and in the mid seventys moved to Sarasota, FL. He was really into black glass, and went all over diving for them. He was quite the expert on black glass. Steve.
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by stevemc.

Re: PIRATES & BOTTLES 8 years 6 months ago #4769

• 1BootySeeker
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 1
Very nice Dell... I can only imagine some of the cool things you've come across in your career! :)

Re: PIRATES & BOTTLES 8 years 6 months ago #4776

• Zook
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Looks like a great article Dell. I would love to be able to read it easier in person, hard to read on my laptop.

I don't know if you will be around Thursday but I will be down your way working. If I finish up early enough I will give you a call to see if you are home.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Re: PIRATES & BOTTLES 8 years 6 months ago #4779

• Dell Winders
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hi Steve, the article was first published in Old Bottle magazine. and a couple of other publications. Paul Zmolis, (memory loss spelling) a friend, and editor for Skin Diver magazine called me about 3 years after the article was written and asked permission to publish it in SD.

All my bottle activities were in the Bahamas, and I was pretty much isolated from the rest of the world, so unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet, or learn of your father.

It was an opportune time for me as bottle clubs were springing up all over the US and there was a great interest and demand for Old bottles. There were 10's of thousands of bottls in Nassau harbour. I remember divers from the US anchored their boat off Ft Montague for 3 weeks and reportedly collected $114,000 worth of Old bottles from that section of the harbour.

I started finding, old artifacts and anchors in Nassau haebour, and this started my interest in Treasure Hunting. Humble

Re: PIRATES & BOTTLES 8 years 6 months ago #4780

• Dell Winders
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Hi Zook, I don't know what happened. I posted and it didn't appear. I'll try again.

I'm really looking forward to your visit. Regrettably, I won't be available tomorrow. We have been without transportation for a week, and Trudy's things for me to do are piling up. She's legally Blind and can't drive. I don't have the car back yet. More problems, and expense because the Water pump decided to go out also.

Looks like it will be next week (hopefully) before I can even think straight. I'm very sorry. Dell

PS. I use OPERA, as my browser because they have a ZOOM slide bar at the bottom of the page that makes it easy to read the fine print and enlarge photo details.

Re: PIRATES & BOTTLES 8 years 6 months ago #4786

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 35
Great article, Dell, and very well written. Thanks for posting it!
Oh..and for Internet Explorer users...if you hold down the CTRL key while you scroll your mouse, you can enlarge the page.
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.

Re: PIRATES & BOTTLES 8 years 6 months ago #4856

• Blackbeard
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
great article interesting reading material
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate