Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(83 Viewing)  (83) Guest

TOPIC: Canon XL1

Canon XL1 6 years 6 months ago #9782

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 163
While I am extremely satisfied with my GoPro camera for action shots and underwater video, I have not been at all satisfied with it in other situations such as interviews and documenting allot of our explorations down here in Central America.

Since my trip to Honduras earlier this summer I realized that the GoPro was not going to meet all of my needs , so I have been looking for a good video camera to capture outstanding video with some decent and flexible audio capabilities. Well after months of searching I have settled on the Canon XL1.

While this camera is only standard definition and uses tape, it is digital and is easily transferable to the computer for post production editing. An added benefit is that there are underwater housings available for the camera.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Canon XL1 6 years 6 months ago #9789

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 16
I agree about the GoPro. It has its definite limitations. I have a similar video camera, its a JVC and it has HD video,it is a production type camera for doing TV shows. I have an underwater housing for it, and it makes amazing video, underwater or topside. Video goes to tape, no compressing, and still shots go to an SD card. Cable plugs into computer or TV. You can take still shots while videoing. Plus like you said, above water is what video cameras like this are for. There is a new GoPro the GoPro Hero 2, it has high speed video to make slow motion. Also it has a longer battery life. And a couple other tech things.

Re: Canon XL1 6 years 6 months ago #9792

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 163
Steve, yep the GoPro Hero 2 is the one I have, and I also added the new dive housing to fix that underwater focus problem.

With the underwater housing for the Canon XL1 costing as much, if not more than the camera rig itself. I think the GoPro will take care of most of my underwater video needs for the time being.
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by wreckdiver.
Moderators: Salvor6