Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(118 Viewing)  (118) Guest
Post information on books used in your research for Treasure.

TOPIC: The "Books of Interest found online" thread

The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #11584

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 31
I ran across this book on Project Gutenberg:

The Book of Buried Treasure
Being a True History of the Gold, Jewels, and Plate of
Pirates, Galleons, etc., which are sought for to this day
by Ralph Delahaye Paine

and it makes me think that we need a thread of online books, maps, etc that are available online...preferably those that are NOT violating copyright laws. Tommy doesn't need the headaches that copyright infringment lawyers can cause.

Therefore...here is the first one.

This book is available on the Project Gutenberg @
www.gutenberg.org/files/33318/33318-h/33318-h.htm

While I do not enjoy reading online nearly as much as actually holding a book in my hand, sometimes we have to make do with what we can afford.
:)
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by ropesfish. Reason: atrocious grammar
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #11675

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 46
Love the book!! I'm a big fan of Project Gutenberg...and any good books that are in the public domain. This is an excellent topic, I'll have to drag out some of my own links to share! :)

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #11724

• Imaginos
  • Treasure Enthusiast
Thanks for the link. This will keep me occupied for a bit! :cheer:

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #11802

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
"Lives of Vasco Nunez de Balboa, and Francisco Pizarro"

www.archive.org/stream/vasconunezbal00quinrich/vasconunezbal00quinrich_djvu.txt

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #11805

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Nice find!
From the same archive:
One fun to read:

The Spanish galleon : being an account of a search for sunken treasure in the Caribbean sea (1891)
archive.org/details/spanishgalleonbe00mundiala

Volumes 1 and 3 of "Historia general y natural de las Indias, islas y tierra-firme del mar oceano" (1851)
General and Natural History of the Indies, islands, land and ocean sea
Just found it..could have interesting material. Written in 1557. This one will get your archaic Spanish readers some exercise.

archive.org/details/historiageneraly01fern
archive.org/details/historiageneraly03fern
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #11806

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Good catch, Roper!

Here's a goody....missing the first 5 chapters though... :(

The History of the Gold Rush as illustrated by treasures from the S.S. Central America

www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_research_bowers_20001011.htm

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #11807

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
And a few more unusual treatises.....

Modern Marine Engineering (1867)

(Illustrated with colored plates and woodcuts)

PRINCIPAL CONTENTS.-General Arrangements of Engines, 11 examples -General Arrangement of Boilers, 14 examples - General Arrangement of Superkieaters, 11 examples-Details of'Oscillating Paddle Engines, 34 examples-Condensers for Screw Engines, both Injection and Surface, 20 examples-Details of Screw Engines, 20 examples-Cylinders and Details of Screw Engines, 21 examples-Slide Valves and Details, 7 examples-Slide Valve, Link Motion, 7 examples-Expansion Valves and Gear, 10 examples-Details in General, 30 examples —Screw Propeller and Fittings, 13 examples Engine and Boiler Fittings, 28 examples In relation to the Principles of the Marine Engine and Boiler, 33 examples. Notices of the Press. "Every conceivable detail of the Marine Engine, under all its various forms, is profusely, and we must add, admirably illustrated by a multitude of engravings, selected from the best and most modern practice of the first Marine Engineers of the day. The chapter on Condensers is peculiarly valuable. In one word, there is no other work in existence which will bear a moment's comparison with it as an exponent of the skill, talent and practical experience to which is due the splendid reputation enjoyed by many British Marine Engineers." - Engineer. " This very comprehensive work, which was issued in Monthly parts, has just been completed. It contains large and full drawings and copious descriptions of most of the best examples of Modern Marine Engines, and it is a complete theoretical and practical treatise on the subject of Marine Engineering."

books.google.com/books?id=AqofAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

~~~

A treatise on ordnance and armor: embracing descriptions, discussions, and professional opinions concerning the material, fabrication, requirements, capabilities, and endurance of European and American guns for naval, sea-coast, and iron-clad warfare, and their rifling, projectiles and breech-loading (1865)

- CONTENTS. CHAPTER I.-Standard Guns and their Fabrication Described: Section 1. Hooped Guns; Section 2. Solid Wrought Iron Guns; Section 3. Solid Steel Guns; Section 4. Cast-Iron Guns. CHAPTER II.-The Requirements of Guns, Armor: Section 1. The Work to be done; Section 2. Heavy Shot at Low Velocities; Section 3. Small Shot at High Velocities; Section 4. The two Systems Combined; Section 5. Breaching Masonry. CHAPTER III.-The Strains and Structure of Guns: Section 1. Resistance to Elastic Pressure; Section 2. The Effects of Vibration; Section 3. The Effects of Heat. CHAPTER IV.Cannon Metals and Processes of Fabrication: Section 1. Elasticity and Ductility; Section 2. Cast-Iron; Section 3. Wrought Iron; Section 4. Steel; Section 5. Bronze; Section 6. Other Alloys. CHAPTER V.-Rifling and Projectiles; Standard Forms and Practice Described; Early Experiments; The Centring System; The Compressing System; The Expansion System; Armor Punching Projectiles; Shells for Molten Metal; Competitive Trial of Rifled Guns, 1862; Duty of Rifled Guns: General Uses, Accuracy, Range, Velocity, Strain, Liability of Projectile to Injury; Firing Spherical Shot from Rifled Guns; Material for Armor-Punching Projectiles; Shape of Armor-Punching Projectiles; Capacity and. Destructiveness of Shells; Elongated Shot from Smooth Bores; Conclusions; Velocity of Projectiles (Table\. CHAPTER VI.Breech-Loading Advantages and Defects of the System; Rapid Firing and Cooling Guns by Machinery; Standard Breech-Loaders Described. Part Second: Experiments against Armor; Account of Experiments from Official Records in Chronological Order. APPENDIX.-Report on the Application of Gun-Cotton to Warlike Purposes-British Association, 1863; Manufacture and Experiments in England; Guns Hooped with Initial Tension-History; How Guns Burst, by Wiard, Lyman's Accelerating Gun; Endurance of Parrott and Whitworth Guns at Charleston; Hooping old United States Cast-Iron Guns; Endurance and Accuracy of the Armstrong 600-pounder; Competitive Trials with 7-inch Guns.

archive.org/details/atreatiseonordn01hollgoog

~~~

"Cipher and secret letter and telegraph code, with Hogg's improvements. The most perfect code ever invented or discovered. Impossible to read without the key. Invaluable for secret, military, naval, and diplomatic services, as well for brokers, bankers, and merchants."

quod.lib.umich.edu/m/moa/AJP9711.0001.001?rgn=main;view=fulltext

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #11851

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
and for those of who go down to the sea in ships...and look for those that sink- from our friends at the
"Office of the Director of Ocean Engineering
Supervisor of Salvage and Diving"
We have the US Navy's salvage and diving pubs available at this site:

Salvage Publications from supsalv.org
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #11852

• thetigers2
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 47
Very good,it's amazing the info available to us. thanks all.

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #12018

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
More books.
(Tommy-would you be interested in adding a "books" folder in the Research category and moving this thread to there? It might be easier for folks to find.)

Just a thought here - I would suggest that if you see something you might wish to read at a later date that you download and save a copy on your computer just in case whoever hosts the link stops doing so.
All my documents are also backed up on another computer and a thumb drive - portable and usually not in the same place . I once lost a month's worth of research and notes because a 3 month old hard drive decided to give up the ghost my last semester of college.

The Times and Tides of John Davis-
Links to pdf copies of the works of John Davis in the late 1500's and early 1600's on navigation;
www.spirasolaris.ca/sbb9.pdf

The World Encompassed by Sir Francis Drake pub. 1652:
www.spirasolaris.ca/sbb9we.pdf

I'm just not sure what to think about this site- it is possible that some might find it of use:
www.spirasolaris.ca/

Cheers!
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 5 months ago #12022

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 170
Excellent idea ropesfish, consider it done, and many thanks.

Tommy
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 2 months ago #12661

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello All

I have been reading abook by Barry clifford called the lost fleet. About the french fleet in 1678 that sank off the venezuelan coast.

Interesting...

Kanacki

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 2 months ago #12700

Gafternoon Kanacker, ready for some fresh Mango ice cream?

Whatcha think of a gal that instead of flowers, romance, or love thinks of Steam engines, heavy ordnance, cyber codes etc.???

Sorta my kinda broad, yours?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 2 months ago #12715

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
Watch who you be callin' a Broad there, Mister.... :S

I'll have you know I am not your everyday sort of female....I have a WIDE variety of interests, heheheh. 'Course...I'm not everyone's cup of tea either. ;) B) :P

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 2 months ago #12724

Yessum Miss Judy. for that I will show you what goes with my Avatar of sooooo many years ago. sniff.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 2 months ago #12912

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
The Chronicle of Akakor

Get it Free here......

www.stangrist.com/Akakor.pdf

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: The "Books of Interest found online" thread 6 years 2 months ago #12924

Allo judy, took two hours to read that chronicle, my impression??--- It was fascinating, but in the way that the magazine 'Analog & science fiction' stories did, As a budding kiddie, I was a fan of the magazine and Issac Asimov, Issac became a sorta Mensa like hero.

It was here that I first heard of the Dean device.

Loved the ancient Vedas etc.

However, in this case, our author produces 'too much detail', more than even the best of photographic memories, or even written data 'from' that time, could produce etc. Similar to the many 'Atlantis' stories, so I am inclined to think that he had a very fertile imagination, and combined known past facts with various other legendary histories, the Vedas, and as a result, we have a composite of ????

Still, to a point it was fun to read.

Next "Naval Ordnance", Then the sordid / lurid life of an escapee to a small tropical island.in the Caribbean. :blush:

Don Jose de La Mancha
Moderators: Salvor6