Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(116 Viewing)  (116) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ??

UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4230

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 23
I HAVE EXTENSIVE DIVE GEAR, BUT IT IS A PAIN IN THE NECK,(literally) when im down for a long dive,-- I have been checking this set up out & think it will be a good investment & a hell of a lot more comfortable for long & semi deep dives to 60-80 ft,,,,of course I would suggest you be a certified diver BEFORE you use this set up, depth & deco still apply regardless if it comes from a tank or a surface supply,,, a dive computer is a MUST for such long dives..!

www.airlinebyjsink.com/the-hows/honda-gas-powered/cd2100xl2.aspx

with a guardian F F M

www.otscomm.com/OTSffm.shtml

but I like the airline comm better,

www.airlinebyjsink.com/the-hows/accessories/mantis-diving-mask.aspx

the MTS buddy phone & surface station, would keep everyone from guessing what is going on below--& as we ALL know --the ASS-U-ME-ption is the mother of all f%$k up's...
better to know then blow.. !

im still trying to contact the owner of this pic, to find out the model / make of this dry suit... This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
IN ORDER TO SUCCEED ACT AS IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO FAIL !!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4231

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 400
B) The sleeve connectors look a little differant than mine but it looks very much like one of my Poseiden Drysuits. The name was on the left front and the back above the cross the shoulder zipper as I remember. There are so many now that I am just guessing. Try looking to see if they have that model. Mine are in a building on the Eastern Shore of Virginia and the friend I had keeping them and a lot of my other dive gear died and I have no idea if his kids even know that all that dive stuff is mine. Errr, was mine! My diesel compressor for jamming tanks and my manifold and umbilicals along with sime other really expensive stuff was stored there. My friend was killed by a drunk driver when he stoped to help some ladies change a tire. I didn't find out about it for many months and the estate had already been turned over to his kids and I have no idea of what became of my gear. Good luck finding the maker of that one. :)
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4235

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
IM THINKING,(which is dangerous for me) THAT IT'S A-- D U I but im not sure, I haven't been able to get a response from JR, yet, but It has a chest patch like henderson, but the cuff's with the turn & lock like a DUI, Ill find out before I get any suit,

Im sorry to hear about your friend, & your gear, I know what it's like, I recently lost over 30k in assets to a greedy, apathetic, jerk..... nothing like being hit in the gut when you'r down to get you motivated, thats for sure...

I like this type of set up & I hope that it will fill the need for long lines of gold rope & bars, that need to be bag lifted to the surface...I might add some floats to the air line to keep it perpendicular to the surface & keep my line from entanglement.....what do you think ? :huh: This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4248

• Au_Dreamers
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 3
I dunno man a few decades ago I told myself that if it takes more than a Lycra I wouldn't dive it.

HEH I hated nothing more than boiling in 80+ humid Delaware sunshine on the deck of a boat waiting to get in the water.

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4260

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
DELAWARE -- THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM, TEE,HEE, try cali at sea level in mid july--oooofta !
beef & BO across the shore..!!

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4263

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) You're amatures! Come on down to south Florida out on the flats and sit out in the 100 degree heat with the sun bouncing off the white sand bottom until your face blisters and you cook like a lobster in a pot. Then tell us about hot. :woohoo: Your fins get so hot sitting on the deck that you have to dip them in the water so they don't burn your hands putting them on. Tanks get so hot you think they are going to explode and don't even think about a hood. :woohoo: You can even get burned underwater here and not even know it until you get home and step into the shower. Yeeeoooow! :woohoo:

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4266

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
I LAUGH AT YOUR 100 DG's & RAISE YOU TWENTY !HUMIDITY BE DAMNED,,, at 120 in the desert you would LOVE to see, let alone dip, into some water, HA, iI say HA again ,,, ha ha ha ha ha ha at your 100.... lol :laugh:
Attachments:
Last Edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by wreckdiver.

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4268

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) You're getting a bit on the outside of family website scubasmitty. This site is family oriented and you're pushing it a bit. (picture wise) Just sayin........ No offence intended but watch it a little. I know Tommy and you don't want to get on his bad side. He's a great guy but don't push it. :unsure:

That's what they all say about their desert heat and they still go home cooked! :laugh:
Last Edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4269

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
about the heat ---YEAH,YEAH,

ABOUT THE PIX, I DIDN'T TAKE 'EM, JUST POST 'EM,

BUT THIS IS AS BAD AS I GET !-- NO WORRIES !

AND FINE !-- i WOULD RATHER SPEND MY SUMMERS IN HAWAII ANYWAY,

ONE WINTER IN FLA, ONE IN AZ, :P
Last Edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by scubasmitty.

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4270

• Au_Dreamers
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Yeah but it's a dry heat!!!

South Florida??? I dunno about you but I don't wear 1/4 inch Farmer John when I dive in FL!!! Heck that's one of the reasons I moved to Florida. Swin trunks or sometimes a lycra and a Hooka and you can almost believe you're a fish!

and yeah I'm up because that noisy furnace keeps kicking on every 15 minutes!! Soon though it'll be like a fan in Spring time it'll run so constant that I'll be use to it, but I'll still have nightmares of it sucking the treasure hunting funds out of my pocket!! Argghh - lol

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4275

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) I like the Chesapeake Bay for summer diving. If it stayed warm all year there I would not leave. But, I still have my cold water dive gear and my thermal heatpacks for between my clothes and divesuit. Pushing ice back so it would not freeze over you was not one of my favorite dive precautions. "Ice fishing" are two more words that should not be used together. Even diving the quarries in the summer is cold. Down here thermalcline is when someone spills their drink on you in the water. :laugh:

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4278

• Au_Dreamers
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
not sure if off off track- but
Did you ever hear about the Viking ship in the Ches?

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 3 weeks ago #4281

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
I read something about that years ago but didn't give it much thought. I suppose it could be especially if they did get into Nova Scotia then New England and follow the coast. The natural coastline would eventually lead right up the bay. Why Not, stranger things have happened! :)

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 2 weeks ago #4403

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
THE BRAND NAME OF THE DRY SUIT IS a whites,, never heard of them ,, but WILL get back to you with WHO, what when & how I can get one...!

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 2 days ago #4662

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 16
Looks like your thread got way off track, but I have a Brownies Third Lung, set up for 2 divers now, it can run 3 divers at 90 feet. It is great. I use it only for shallow less than 80 or so feet. More than enough air for 2 divers. Never gets a tugging breath, always free flowing max. Hookahs are great, you can run for 3 hours on about a 1/2 gallon of gasoline. Actually a little less than 1/2 gallon, maybe 1/3 of a gallon. And yes, a dive class should be mandatory for safety. And a dive computer, air only is fine, should be used if diving all day at depths greater than 40-50 feet. Especially if diving day after day. Just to be safe! Use the same computer too, dont switch around. I do a lot of deep tank diving, 150-180' of saltwater, Nitrox or Tri-Mix, and have 6 computers, and if one goes bad(battery dies), I grab another, but I usually have 2 on at a time anyway. But if you have one go bad and only have one on, and you put on a new one, you start up a new dive day, just doesnt work in the middle of the day. That is how people get bent. When that kind of thing happens, I dive on less time and do a longer deco stop that necessary, especially at the end of the day, often will do a very long deco stop if a computer has crapped out on me(battery dies). I trust my instruments, but you cannot plug in all the previous stuff into a dive computer if you start out like that, and expect it to keep you from getting bent. And as for wetsuits in Florida, if you are going to dive after Oct 15th around here, you will need a 3 mil until about mid December then a 5 mil after that until about mid March. Then back to a 3 mil until mid April. Even in the Keys you will need a wetsuit.

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 1 day ago #4674

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
im looking at a poseidon re-breather for my DEEP water excursions, and thinking seriously of useing this hooka set up for T H'n...im tired of lugging around tanx, and paying for fill's & inspections...great if you travel by air to exotic local's but NOT for a serious full time dive dive operation, I would rather have scrub pack's & air lines....

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 1 day ago #4681

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Rebreathers are good, and the best way for deep diving. But they are very expensive, and demand that you are very diligent on filling the O2 tanks, and replacing the soda and keeping it all very clean, dry and tuned. You must take them all apart and do maintanance every time you go down, or you could have a problem. They are not just a simple load and go set up. There is a definite learning curve to them. Using CC rebreathers with a OC bailout tank and a high quality UW scooter, are the typical deep dive set ups now. Scoot around to make the most of a dive, you dont work as hard too.

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 1 day ago #4688

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
ANY DIVER WORTH HIS CERT, should take care of his equipment whether it be a re-breather, or recreation tank & bcd....in the nether regions of the bahamas & off to other parts unknown, I would rather carry several small bottles of O2 & diluent , then several bottles of compressed air & tri mix gas's ,,,,on a sail, this system works better for me now & in the future...If I had a mega yacht & had more money then brain's, then I would have a compressor/tri mix storage on board,-- but that would be un-realistic, unless you were running a MAJOR dive operation...when it comes to my diving I am a MAJOR conservative, bottom time/deco/money!
that's why I think that a hooka system for shallow dive's (60/80 up to 120) would work for extended operation's in the middle of B F E ,,,, less hassle-more bang...SAVVY ??

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 1 day ago #4689

• stevemc
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Oh, I agree 100% on taking care of any diving gear. Life safety comes first in my book. But CC rebreathers really need some constant work. Yes you do carry a lot less weight than a bunch of tanks. Trust me, if they were less expensive I would have one. And get rid of my 129 and 130 LP steels, which kill my back. When I go to the Bahamas I bring a Hookah, and several tanks, all just in case, as most of the time I am freediving. Never know when you need to go down and work on the props or anchor or who knows what, For deep diving rebreathers are THE thing. Hookahs are the thing in shallow water. Several people can work off one hookah, and not as much weight as 2 tanks. Just bring some gasoline and you are set.

Re: UNDERWATER EQUIPMENT-WHAT DO YOU USE ?? 8 years 1 day ago #4691

• scubasmitty
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
my point exactly !

if you are in the middle of B F E ,,, the last thing you want to worry about is equipment failure !
  • Page:
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate