Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(67 Viewing)  (67) Guest

TOPIC: Treasure hunter’s “extreme metal detecting” lands him TV series

Treasure hunter’s “extreme metal detecting” lands him TV series 7 years 8 months ago #6785

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 170
Treasure hunter’s silly antics of “extreme metal detecting” lands him TV series
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
George Wyant (left) and Tim Saylor display some of their treasures collected over the years.

by Trish Mehaffey/SourceMedia Group News

Treasure hunter Tim Saylor is not above licking a clump of dirt if he loses a bet over finding a silver dollar, but he prefers it when his buddy loses and has to wear a yellow prom dress while riding his bike off the dock into the icy Montana waters.

Saylor, a Cedar Rapids and Williamsburg native, started “extreme metal detecting” with friend George Wyant about 10 years ago when he moved to Anaconda, Mt. They even formed a company, AnacondaTreasure.com, to share their zany exploits and tips with other hunters.

Saylor, an insurance software programmer, insists the fun isn’t about finding something worth thousands of dollars because he doesn’t sell most of what he finds. It’s “all about the chase,” silly stunts and antics along the way to digging up buffalo nickels, silver dollars, 1800s saloon tokens, Civil War artifacts, rings and any other treasures they find.

After writing a book, producing six DVDs, You Tube videos and a short appearance on Good Morning America showcasing their metal detecting prowess, Saylor and Wyant landed a series, “Diggers,” which premieres two episodes Feb. 28, on the National Geographic Channel.

“Treasure hunting shows are popular right now but they liked us because of the way we do it,” Saylor said laughing. “We had interest from 14 production companies and I thought ‘what is going on, why us,’ but they were looking for something entertaining and I guess we are. It’s just beyond dumb and over the top (our behavior). And we’re not afraid of the camera. We’re just being ourselves.”

Wyant said he was surprised by the following but the DVDs started selling and then Half Yard Productions got interested.

Half Yard produces several other series including Hillbilly Handfishin’, American Loggers, The Real Housewives of DC and Say Yes to the Dress.

“I have to admit I kind of rolled my eyes when I found out his silly hobby turned into a serious one,” Saylor’s mother Dixie Saylor, a former University of Iowa English professor, said. “I never thought he would be on TV. He could do anything. He has two degrees. He’s a good writer and use to teach German, but he’s always been a collector. He collected baseball cards for years and when he finally sold them it was enough to buy a Corvette. He always wanted to do unusual things.”

A You Tube video posted on their website give a sampling of “Ringmaster Tim” and “King George” in action digging up their treasures, making bets if Saylor will get another ring, which is how he got his nickname, or if Wyant digs up another silver dollar to bolster his status as King.

When they get a hit, they start predicting what it is and then start digging, but not without teasers to build the anticipation. Wyant starts hollering “Half dollar in the hole” or “I see roundness” until he whips them up in a frenzy and Saylor is kissing coins or pushed into licking something by the time it’s over.

Saylor said the first two episodes of Diggers is similar to their antics in the past, only far more professionally filmed and edited but there’s no real script.

“We were encouraged to be ourselves,” Saylor said. “We had a script to set the show up and do teasers for the show but after that it’s just us.”

The first episode is filmed in Montana and they are hunting at old ranches. They also film some scenes at the Old Montana Territorial Prison in Deer Lodge, now a museum, because the bet is the hunter with the least valuable stuff has to spend the night at this prison known to be haunted.

Saylor made the bet because Wyant’s only fear in life is ghosts and he was hoping Wyant would have the horror, but instead Saylor lost and the night’s hijinks are documented with a night vision camera.

The other episode was filmed in Charleston, S.C., and the guys are digging up treasures at a Civil War site and on the beach.

Saylor said they find some war artifacts like parts of guns, balls for muskets and military buttons.

If the premiere is successful, they will travel to many interesting destinations, possibly even out of the country, Saylor said.

Courtesy Eastern Iowa News Now
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by wreckdiver.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Treasure hunter’s “extreme metal detecting” lands him TV series 7 years 8 months ago #6803

• Tim Williams
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Cool!
Home of the Arc-Geo logger imaging system! Now you can see what you've been missing.

Stay Blessed,

Tim
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate