Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(122 Viewing)  (122) Guest

TOPIC: This Year's Summer Sand

This Year's Summer Sand 6 years 1 week ago #14305

• Bigscoop
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 6
Don't know about everyone else but on my local beaches the sand is sure coming on heavy and early this year.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

This Year's Summer Sand 5 years 11 months ago #14433

• Bigscoop
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 6
Right now my area beaches are, “really sanded in” and the hunting is extremely slow going despite the heavy summer crowds. But, there are goodies out there if you can get at them in time, “if you can get at them in time.” And this is the big problem for those of us who are stuck hunting these conditions.

Honestly, there really isn't any secret strategy to latch onto right now. Probably the best approach is simply to hunt during the peak of the activity or immediately afterwords. Summer is always throwing this sandy situation at us but this summer is becoming increasingly more difficult to deal with because of the continued mild conditions we've been experiencing, thus those layers of soft sand just keep coming in and piling up.

And this same condition even exist further out, the troughs just keep getting shallower and shallower as they continue to fill with sand and the sandbars just keep growing wider and wider. In many places there is no trough remaining at all. With so much sand piling up everywhere targets are becoming very scarce, indeed.

The dry sand is the least effected area on the beach but on my area beaches this dry sand is a proverbial parking lot during the day, the row of vehicles lined up so tightly in most places you're lucky if you don't earn a few door bangs. I'm not a dry sand hunter anyway, too hot and too much trash to sort through for my liking. But if I were a dry sand hunter this might be an area worth some time after the beach is closed to traffic. Call me hardheaded and/or stubborn, even both, but I just hate the thought of hunting the dry sand.

Up until this last weekend I had been doing fairly well hunting just the saddles and the those larger flat areas of the beach that I call, “a belly area.” But in just the last few days these areas have even begun to level off right along with the rest of the beach, today they were barely even noticeable, the summer sand striking at the very heart of my hunting yet again. After seeing this and testing those waters for a short while I decided it was time for a drastic change in strategy.

“The flats.” This being those expansive flats that use to be just sandbars, this being the area where most of the water activity had been taking place over the last several days, throngs and throngs of people frolicking about on these flats over the past several days. An hour and a half later I still hadn't dug the first target. Why? It made no sense at all. Just way too many people spending their day out here for there to be no targets.

As I moved about I'd occasionally grab a scoop of sand, my scoop nearly being completely empty by the time it reached the surface, the soft fine sand flushing back out of my scoop as I raised it. The sand out here felt firm under my feet but it wasn't, just more of the same soft sand that had invaded my remaining low tide wet sand hunting locations. In fact the sand was so clean out here I couldn't even find any iron to dig, not so much as a piece of wire, not even any can slaw or pull tabs. Nothing! It has all made for a pretty sad hunting situation that isn't going to get any better unless we see some activity out in the Atlantic, some increase in the surf and currents to move all this soft sterile sand around. If we can get this to happen then we should start seeing targets showing up everywhere, otherwise things are only going to remain painfully slow all summer long.

On the up side, if you want to call it that, the only thing we have going for us now are those monthly tide cycle changes. Right now these are the only changes in the surf and currents we're going to get. So grab those tide charts and learn how to read them. Very soon now we're going to see more water and wave action on the beach, and with this some measure of sand will be moved, especially if we can get a good stiff breeze behind it. Should be more targets showing up on the beach once this happens. Hang tough and keep swinging.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate