Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(163 Viewing)  (163) Guest

TOPIC: Sharing & Inspiring The Next Generation

Sharing & Inspiring The Next Generation 5 years 11 months ago #14435

• Bigscoop
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 6
People have often asked me or questioned why I write so much? So here's something I want to share with all of you that I just explained in a PM a bit a go.

The other day I had two very polite small kids, ages 6 & 8, completely mesmerized by my metal detecting activities, their eyes as large as quarters. Soon they were taking turns swinging my machine and recovering a few coins, their excitement was obvious.

Yesterday I sat on the beach, in old man story-teller fashion, with their parents present, and I told these same two very interested kids the amazing tale of the Spanish treasure fleets and the tragedies they suffered at sea. As I told my story I swear there were times when they both stopped breathing.

When I was done telling my story I handed each of them an authentic 1744 one reale coin and I made them promise never to lose them. These are now two kids who have been positively impacted during their family summer vacation. But the story doesn’t stop here.

As I was telling my yarn, and once those coins came into view, there was suddenly several other “condo owners” gathered round who now had a positive outlook on our hobby and the people who pursue that hobby. So today I'm going back to give those same two kids a few shark teeth that someone else passed onto me and I can think of no better place for them and no better time for them to trade hands.

So what I'm saying to you is this......what we do while we are on the beach is extremely important to our hobby, far more important then what we find. I can always go hunting but it is far too seldom that we take the opportunity to shed a positive light on a hobby and the people who pursue it that so many view in question. So take the time to share and to inspire. There will always be another day or hour for hunting. What we do while we are on the beach is far more important to the life of our hobby then what we find.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sharing & Inspiring The Next Generation 5 years 11 months ago #14439

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 467
B) I think we all do the same thing in one way or another. I have also done pretty much the same as you and have 7 detectors usually in the back of the truck for just the same reason. I have some beginer models that are very easy to use and I have been known to drop a few coins along the beach. My grandkids are hooked and really enjoy our outings to beach to hunt for coins or to run down to Venice beach for shark teeth. Here's a few from our last outing. Keep up the great representation of our hobby and destroying the lives of future generations of treasure hunters and detectorists. They will all become pirates at heart even if they don't know it yet.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by WhiteFeather.

Sharing & Inspiring The Next Generation 5 years 11 months ago #14440

• Bigscoop
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Love the shark teeth!

On another note, when I was a kid I loved those stories by the campfires at night. This has recently made me curious about the possibility of holding "beach night story-telling sessions" that are geared more toward Florida east coast history and also the local marine environment. The beach is a huge wonderland to most kids and even most adults who travel here to enjoy them, yet very few of them know very much about these coast. Just seems like a fitting notion, I guess?
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Bigscoop.

Sharing & Inspiring The Next Generation 5 years 11 months ago #14441

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 467
B) I would think that someone with a nice chunk of land that is just sitting around could start a detectorists training camp for young people. Possible seeding with some nice "finders keepers" souvineers would make a nice touch for the young people just learning and it could be setup as a family type thing with a campground and all the niceities as with an RV campground. Start small and see if it would grow.

Let's go treasure hunting, searching the briney deep along our campground or some such thing. A little brainstorming would come up with some awesome ideas in a very short time. Got land?
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!

Sharing & Inspiring The Next Generation 5 years 11 months ago #14442

• Bigscoop
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
A couple of years ago I almost had a duplex owner talked into to turning his duplex into a metal detecting/ treasure hunting beach side resort/school. I still think it would a great idea and I would love to run something like that on the beach here.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate