Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(93 Viewing)  (93) Guest

TOPIC: My Best Kept Summer Beach Hunting Secret

My Best Kept Summer Beach Hunting Secret 5 years 11 months ago #14461

• Bigscoop
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 6
This is my best kept summer hunting secret, that one place on the beach where I can almost always find some good treasure. It's pretty much all I've been hunting lately and with a fair amount of success. This is target line hunting, or rather, that area of the beach where I hunt for those elusive summer time target lines.

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

In the detail above notice how the mound of sand has built up on the lower beach, also notice how the slope coming off these mounds is somewhat steeper. With all of the sand on the beach the very lowest portion of this slope is usually too mushy to hold good targets at accessible depths for very long, yet as we move up this slope the sand will gradually grow denser, some areas of these slopes even being very dense. Depending on the degree of slope these denser areas may be higher or lower on the slope, just no way to find them until we look for them.

It's pretty interesting to learn how these denser areas of slope are formed and why they often hold accessible targets when other areas of these slopes don't. Basically this all has to do with the amount of shell in the sand and the force/volume of the incoming tide. Everything hinges on these two factors.

Over the summer the surf has shoved “a lot” of sand and crushed shell onto the beach, a great deal more in some areas then in others, often even on the same small section of beach. Also, the more consistent the force/volume the denser this shell and sand will get packed along these select sections of beach. Obviously, these are good areas for the beach hunter to locate because many of these areas will be dense enough to support those heavier goodies we're looking for.

The second factor that comes into play here are the goodies themselves, the force/volume within the surf often delivering them to the general spots on the beach. No kidding, I have found some of these small areas that were littered with good targets while the rest of the beach all around them was completely void of targets. In fact, I experience this all the time. There are days when I might hunt for these areas for several hours with very little to show for my efforts and then suddenly there are targets everywhere, and then suddenly they are gone again. This happens to me nearly each and every day when hunting for these areas.

Notice the red line on the slope and the two black arrows going in opposite directions, this is the general area I hunt when looking for these denser areas and the two black arrows serve to illustrate how I methodically work this broad line back and forth along the beach in a tight grid pattern. Even after a few hours of hunting this line without success I always know it's just a matter of time before I hit pay dirt. Just exactly where on the slope those targets will be is anyone's guess, sometimes high on the slope and sometimes lower, but I always eventually hit a few of these productive denser areas.
Sometimes it's just coins, sometimes just iron, but often enough it will be an assortment of goodies including gold and silver.

Generally speaking, the steeper the slope the higher the targets will be, the flatter the slope the lower the targets will be. Just keep in mind that the closer you get to that waterline the more likely it is that the sand will be too soupy to support good targets for very long. In fact it's quite common to find a pair of recently lost cheap sunglasses at depths of a foot or more in this lower mushy sand. Now just imagine how quickly a dense piece of jewelry is going to sink in this same mushy sand.

And this is pretty much my best kept summer beach hunting tactic, but be forewarned, this requires pretty methodical and relentless hunting most of the time. But here's another upside to finding these areas; say you eventually find a few of these areas along a very popular section of beach. What are the odds that these same areas might hold even more good targets the next time around, or possibly even the next day? Unless something comes along to change the shape of the beach, like a storm in the Atlantic, then these denser areas are probably going to remain just as they are throughout the entire summer.

Question is, do you possess the time, motivation, and endurance to find these areas? When I look back on my first couple of summers hunting these beaches I cringe when I think of the amount of time I spent swinging my coils of over targets that were simply out of my reach. Hour after hour, day after day, all of this without any real method to my endless hunting and roaming about. At best my summer recoveries were meager. “If I can't get at those deeper denser layers then at least let me find those shallower ones.”
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My Best Kept Summer Beach Hunting Secret 5 years 11 months ago #14465

• seeker41
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 57
good stuff !! thanks for sharing your secret!!!! staying off the top of the mound and trying to find supportive sand on either side of the mound is a very good idea!!! my "mound" is very wide and covers all the prime activity areas. like you i have been searching for anything resembling supportive sand. two gold in the last week and very very few targets in between. on one hunt, it was quiet so long when i finally got a target it scared the crap out of me.

chuck.

My Best Kept Summer Beach Hunting Secret 5 years 11 months ago #14469

• Bigscoop
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 6
Yep....it works but it's boring and slow hunting, especially under a blazing sun. Congrats on the gold! You can hunt in complete silence for a long time out there right now, and then like you say, a tone will suddenly cause you to freeze in your tracks. lol

I've been hitting a lot of silver lately, a few gold, also a fair amount of coins. But it's very spotty hunting.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Bigscoop.

My Best Kept Summer Beach Hunting Secret 5 years 1 month ago #15812

• Orosurf
  • Treasure Hobbyist
It has a lot to do with grain size, the high places will build up as the lighter particles are pushed up the beach,lighter shells and large grains make for "mushy places" , look for places with fine dense sand and it will usually be compacted . Compacted sand will stop the good stuff on it's downward journey. Another reason for the high spots that jut out is long-shore transport. This could also account for your accumulations of heavier items, they travel along the beach horizontally until the current meets the bit that juts out , this then slows the current which causes it to lose energy and the heavier items to drop out. Hope that is of interest to you.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate