Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(82 Viewing)  (82) Guest

TOPIC: Thermal Imaging

Thermal Imaging 8 years 9 months ago #3268

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 469
B) I was wondering about thermal imaging on beach and shallow water burried metal objects. It would seem that one of those temprature sensing imagers would be able to "see" minute temprature differances in shallow sand, dirt, water and such and give you a heads up on where you might want to investigate more with your detector. I know there are some units on the market that are being used now but they are very expensive and require a lot of backup equipment. What about a small hand held sensor? I know I have a small one I use for detecting hot spots on my exhaust and engine systems when the engines are running. But mine is small and does nothing with imaging. It mearly tells me the temprature of whatever I aim it at. Hot pipes indicate lack of water, blockage, low pump output etc. Knowing in advance gives me the option of shutting down and saving the engine, Something in the sand that has been under the sun all day would tend to cool slower or faster than the sand around it. Something in a hand held with a small screen to show a color image in real time. I'm sure someone handles something like that. If waterproof it would be able to detect slight differances under the sand underwater. Water temp and the temp of a metal object might be distinguishable from each other with sensitive enough thermal imaging. :woohoo: Then again, what do I know about thermal? :woohoo: Fire is hot, ice is cold and if you throw ice on a fire neither one works very well. :laugh:

Anyone know of a smal hand held thermal imaging system that costs less than my boat that might work or such an application?

Wat a minute!I I just saw the add about Fluke imagers. I'll do a little resarch on that and see what they have. NEVER MIND! DUUUUHH!!
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Last Edit: 8 years 9 months ago by WhiteFeather.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Thermal Imaging 8 years 9 months ago #3281

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 178
White Feather, this is the hand held thermal imaging camera I have in my tool box down here. I have not had any luck finding any treasure with it yet. However, based on my experience with this neat little unit I doubt it would be very effective for items buried on the beach or in shallow water.
It does work very well in locating and avoiding people who you may want to keep at a distance when deep in the jungles.

Here is the link to their web site FLIR

This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
Last Edit: 8 years 9 months ago by wreckdiver.

Re: Thermal Imaging 8 years 9 months ago #3282

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) I contacted jean at Fluke. My brother and I used to rebuild ship engines. Thermal imaging was very new back then and did not do us much good. my brother is looking at another ship engine soon and i was asking Jean about the possibility of finding hot spots on a running engine other than with my pinpoint unit. I can tell the temprature of any part of the engine, trans or wet or dry exhaust systems but I was wondering if there was a unit that could look at the entire engine and give a real time heat signature. Heat is always the first indicator of trouble. Noise is after something heats up and begins to fail. If a unit is sensitive enough it might just be possible to modify it for treasure hunting. Metal in the ground will heat and cool at a differant rate than the ground, rocks or sand around it. There should be a slight heat signature that may be detectable.

I ordered a book from Fluke and may see about testing or even buying one of their hand held units if it doesn't cost more than my boat. One of these would be good even to use on yachts with smaller engines. Looking at an image you could see hot exhaust or uneven engine tempratures that would indicate other problems. If you get a small blockage one side of the manifold heats up and could cause valve springs to overheat or hot spots in the exhaust hoses. They would burn through and dump cooling water in the engine room. Ideally, we might be able to "see" objects under sand or dirt. "Seeing" people in the bush is very similar. Look at a chopper with night thermal. Chasing a crook you can see the gun or knife as clear as day. Even hidden in a bush or trash can. I think thermal just might be able to be modified enough to be of some use to us. Maybe.... :S Forget what you saw in Preditor.....mud isn't going to cover a heat signature like Arnold. :laugh:

B) Look guys, there is treasure out there waiting and other people are finding it. We got to get out there even if we are hunting in the wrong place. If everyone was dead sure of where to look there would be no treasure left. It's out there. Time for to go look.....somewhere, anywhere but look now! :woohoo: We know where it isn't, just look someplace else! :woohoo:

Look, over there......Maybe that's the spot! This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 8 years 9 months ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: Thermal Imaging 8 years 9 months ago #3284

• aquanut
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 110
Whitefeather, I questioned this a while back and got a knowledgeable response via PM on treasurenet. Bottom line.... there is nothing out there that can detect the minute differences we seek.
Aquanut

Re: Thermal Imaging 8 years 9 months ago #3287

• Au_Dreamers
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 3
You know what rekindled this thought for me was one night watching "future weapon". The Police used a unit that can penetrate buildings/walls and give a thermal image of people inside in real time on a monitor.

Ever since then I've been curious about the improvement in thermal technology in a treasure hunting application. From what I understood it works on a pulse system that at the time seemed like ground penetrating radar.

Maybe that's what it is and not actually thermal but I am not sure if I don't remember correctly or if it was explained properly, like most people believe that a motion detector detects motion.

Re: Thermal Imaging 8 years 9 months ago #3288

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
B) it's 5:00 A.M.. I don't think that's the particular 5:00 everyone is looking for....

Pulse induction? That may be a possibility. it is used in military weponry like you said. But they are looking for warm human bodies that give off more heat than our application. We need to sense minute changes or a system that can visualize what our detectors see without having to dig. Our systems are getting more sophisticated and accurate every day and I feel it is only a matter of time until someone puts a screen on a stick and makes millions. That familar beep would combine with a picture instead of a printed led guess of what is down there. Combining thermal with the pulse system might be one angle.

If you don't like the bottom line, change it! We can not accept the given bottom line in our hobby, we would never improve on what we have. There is someone out there that is thinking on what we are suggesting. Great ideas and products come from average people with a new idea. Some of our every day items started in someone's garage, basement or hobby shop. Just because we aren't savy enough to think up a new concept doesn't mean someone else out there won't be oblivious to the fact that it can't be done. and go out and do it. The entire internet was concieved and started in a back yard garage from what I understand. It couldn't be done but here we are 20 years later with instant world wide communication. What's a little thermal image of a ring in the sand? :ohmy:
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate