Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(182 Viewing)  (182) Guest

TOPIC: New Welsh and English panning streams

New Welsh and English panning streams 6 years 3 months ago #11511

• Freepanner
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Hello again

Since 2010 I've been concentrating on obtaining permission to prospect private rivers and streams in Wales and also three of the English border counties, with varying success. I've inspired some young farmers to start prospecting, with a view to opening up new areas for both leisure panning and serious prospecting.Out of twenty sites I have now narrowed my search down to three for concentrated exploration.There is in each case a massive amount of ground to cover, and on behalf of my charity Gold Rivers Trust I would like to invite experienced prospectors and greenhorns to get involved.

However, from the UK panners' viewpoint these sites seem to be just too 'remote'. From an American viewpoint, for instance they probably wouldn't be considered remote at all. Perhaps panners in the UK, Wales and Scotland mainly, are too used to their familiar haunts.

Are there any UK members here who don't mind prospecting in 'remote' Welsh or English valleys?

Good luck to all in the search for rare Welsh and English gold.

Brian
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: New Welsh and English panning streams 6 years 3 months ago #11513

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 167
Remote, tell them remote is prospecting the old Spanish Conquistador sites in the mountains and jungles of Guatemala. Then they will know what remote is.

Good luck with your UK project, and good hunting.

Tommy
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: New Welsh and English panning streams 6 years 1 month ago #12210

• jcjsmc
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Hi Brian, i'm a greenhorn panner from anglesey, i was planning of trying out on the Afon Eden, i did a little prospecting and found a couple of flecks in a bedrock cleft, which i was hoping to work on, but with the recent warnings and media surrounding the rivers around that area, i've decided to leave it.
So if you don't mind a greenhorn trying out some of your spots, no matter how remote, i get around in the hills a lot with the dog, then let me know.

jason.

Re: New Welsh and English panning streams 6 years 3 weeks ago #12465

• Freepanner
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Hi Jason

Sorry I couldn't reply till now, my van has been out of action for two months and I don't have internet at home, so communication has been difficult until I got back on the road today. Anyhow, I'd be happy to help, and there will be a meeting in N Wales for a number of greenhorns who have contacted me this year. I was surprised to learn that there was any gold on the Eden, as there is no official record from the BGS and very experienced panners have told me that the Eden is not worth panning. But I have found gold in places where the BGS apparently drew a blank, so perhaps the Eden is a hidden gem after all. But I'd still avoid that river as CCW is very sensitve about the freshwater pearl mussel sites on there. There are none of these mussels on the Mawddach or Wen or other gold bearing rivers in the area, so the warnings never made any scientific sense to me. I'm thinking about around 10th June and am waiting to hear back from other parties whether this suits.

All the best

Brian

Re: New Welsh and English panning streams 5 years 9 months ago #13200

• owes loads
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Hi Brian,

Im new to this site and would love to pan in Wales, I have done a little bit of research on the net an as you have previously stated you have to be careful which rivers to pan in. Most of the streams and rivers I have tried have nothing.

Any suggestions or help would be very grateful. I enjoy panning as a pastime, and would love to help out in remote areas.

Cheers Neil. :)

Re: New Welsh and English panning streams 5 years 9 months ago #13203

• owes loads
  • Treasure Hobbyist
hello brian .. I very inthenerested in panning I had tried it a few time with no success of any findings in a few streams in s.wales ...I then start reading about a panner In north wales facing fines ... and panning beening banned. I hope this is not true as I would like to venture with my family on holidays to north wales and do panning with the kids. and im also interested in trying out new areas just for the pleasure of it.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate