Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(91 Viewing)  (91) Guest

TOPIC: Glittering, unlooted 1,200-year-old royal tomb found in Peru

Glittering, unlooted 1,200-year-old royal tomb found in Peru 6 years 2 months ago #12750

• JudyH
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 46
WOW! Another archaeological shocker, coming on the heels of big finds in Honduras, Mexico and Cambodia!!!

Who said there was no treasure left to find..... B)

www.nbcnews.com/science/glittering-unlooted-1-200-year-old-royal-tomb-found-peru-6C10467531
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Glittering, unlooted 1,200-year-old royal tomb found in Peru 6 years 2 months ago #12751

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 31
Very interesting find, but I have to ask a question that has been bothering me: What is the difference, (moral and legal) between "grave robbing" and this sort of archaeological excavation?
It would seem that the big difference is the pedigree of the looters and their connection to the 'guvmint'. Does it make a difference to the Wari dead if there is an official document from some government agency that says it is OK to desecrate the tomb because it is 'historically significant'?
Inquiring minds want to know...
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.

Re: Glittering, unlooted 1,200-year-old royal tomb found in Peru 6 years 2 months ago #12752

• thetigers2
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 47
Yes, good question ropesfish but still a good article....

Re: Glittering, unlooted 1,200-year-old royal tomb found in Peru 6 years 2 months ago #12753

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 170
Judy, outstanding find to be sure. Much thanks for sharing this article.

Now to ropesfish's question. According to archaeologists, there is a very big difference. They claim the moral high ground (as usual).

From a legal aspect, and under the guise of the 1971 UNESCO convention, and many other laws of sovereign nations and under international treaties and memorandums of understandings, just about all Central and South American countries claim their Cultural Heritage as their own. Frankly, that is as it should be.

Grave robbers and looters are just that, grave robbers and looters. Once they have raped and pillaged an ancient site, the context of what has been looted is lost to the world forever. They don't document their finds, and the artifacts disappear into the black market trade the antiquities trade without benefit of study and documentation.

This is a major concern of archaeologists. Unfortunately, the issue is much more complicated than this, since it was the archaeologist themselves who have exasperated the problem over the years by paying peanuts to the locals to do all the hard digging. When the locals found they get paid much better by the smugglers. But I digress.

In my minds eye, the solution is relativity easy. The commercialization of archaeology would solve many of the problems that exist out in the field today. Keep an eye on the developments out of the UK, and most recently Colombia. With some luck The Bahamas will also do this very soon.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: Glittering, unlooted 1,200-year-old royal tomb found in Peru 6 years 2 months ago #12754

• ropesfish
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 31
and then there is this: forum.tvfool.com/forumdisplay.php?s=a20db7c136c3c6cbf8fde41d77fd7551&f=6
The money quote there is: "Spence then contacted the Registrar of Cemeteries, which told Sauve that she and Campbell would have to hire an archeologist to examine the rest of the backyard—at their expense."
Find a skeleton in your yard and get to pay some archaeologist to examine your yard for $5K. Not likely to happen to someone twice, I'll bet.
I agree, Tommy. Archaeology costs money. If a partnership can be worked out with commercial interests to find, document and recover historical artifacts much more of it will get done.
Bill Black
Search and Salvage
Sebastian, FL 32958
No regrets. No prisoners.
Moderators: Salvor6