Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(90 Viewing)  (90) Guest

TOPIC: Best app for tracing your friend's location

Best app for tracing your friend's location 2 years 8 months ago #17970

• Denise
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Hi there,
Have anyone used checkmate working alone safety app for the location tracking and safety? I have started working as an archaeologist in Toronto. I love this job and I am very interested in digging the past. But the problem is, sometimes I lose my route and get stuck in the middle of the path. I have a GPS with me but I wish to get an app to track my friend's location too. Because whenever we go for searching stuff we never check where our friends go. At some moments you feel scary and look around for them that no one will be there around you. That's a bit scary. I have found this checkmate app contain features like location recording and tracing. You can trace your friend's location using it. Also, whenever you are in an emergency you can press the emergency button that generates the distress signal immediately. I think that it is quite useful for the workers like me. Before getting one such I would like to get your suggestions and views on this. Have anyone used such apps before? Would like to hear from you.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Best app for tracing your friend's location 2 years 8 months ago #17974

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 170
Hola Denise, and welcome aboard out TreasureWorks Forums.

Call me old school, but since my days in the Air Force teaching survival, I am a Map and Compass kinda guy. Additionally, the best tool in my kit when I get separated from my team is a whistle around my neck. Don't get me wrong, I love technology and have had a GPS in my pack every time I head out into the jungle.

Active GPS tracking has been around for a while and most of the better systems are still expensive. However, as with any technology I think the prices will fall as GPS and Smart Phone technology merge and time marches on.

We have used the WAZE app in locations where we have Cel coverage. This works great since the app is free, and you can identify friends and track everyone's location relative to yours in real time. On the down side you have a power source handy to recharge as this app will suck your battery dry rather quickly.

As a safety measure since we headed into the jungles of Central America about six years ago we have been using "Spot" GPS Tracking. Many of the locations we have been exploring do not have cell phone coverage. For that matter GPS does not work all that well in many locations since GPS is line of sight and when you have layers of jungle canopy hundreds of feet over your head. However, you will eventually find a clearing where you can find some good satellite coverage, break out the GPS and get a good fix on your location on your map.

I have been looking to upgrade my GPS and have been researching some of the new technology. Currently on my wish list is the Garmin "inReach Explorer+" Satellite Communicator. Like the Spot Tracker it is a little pricey and comes with a data plan that is also going to cost a fair amount of cash. However, it's both a hand held GPS with a moving map display and a tracker and satellite communicator.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: unearthedassets
Moderators: Salvor6