Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(118 Viewing)  (118) Guest

TOPIC: OpenROV

OpenROV 7 years 5 months ago #10648

• petey
  • Treasure Hobbyist
Nobody seems to have mentioned OpenROV yet. It's an open source ROV, and looks pretty great. I'm tempted to try my hand at making one, but I've never tried anything like that before. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person around, but I think it would be fun anyway.

I found out about it from this article: bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/28/a-mini-sub-made-from-cheap-parts-could-change-underwater-exploration/

Has anyone here built or used one of these? If so, I'd love to hear about it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: OpenROV 7 years 4 months ago #10651

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 178
Petey, thanks for posting this information about the open ROV. I had not heard about this project until your post. I have spent some time researching this on there website and I have to say that I am impressed with what I have seen to date.
The way these guys are working the project using off the shelf technology it looks like you can build it your self for under a $100 bucks, or you can buy a prefabricated kit for less than $900 bucks.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Re: OpenROV 7 years 4 months ago #10653

• WhiteFeather
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 469
:woohoo: Okay, I gotta get me one of those!!!! That is a wild gizmo that is now on my want list. :laugh: Great camera resolution and low cost for looking for "fishing" hotspots. Immagine something like that running below with no diver climbing in and out of the water and no heavy duty lifting required and no on deck junk to look bad from above. How kewel is that? Small, lightweight, low cost and allows you to drift fish while looking the bottom over for a real nice divesite. Errr, fishing spot! :laugh: Great for locating "fishing" hotspots and debris on the bottom. We all know how important it is to have some sort of clutter on the bottom for a great fishing spot. Now, we just have to mount a detector on it and it will be the perfect ROV. :laugh: PIRATE! :laugh:

I went to their website and am having trouble getting registered. I'll keep trying a bit later. I tried twice and have gotten no email confirmation link yet. Maybe someone is asleep in their computer and not paying attention when the little beeps start. Okay pooter, wake up!!! :laugh:
Count your Blessings but Remember your Dreams!
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by WhiteFeather.

Re: OpenROV 7 years 4 months ago #10662

• seeker41
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 57
way cool!!!! many different uses for that!
chuck.

Re: OpenROV 6 years 11 months ago #12556

• Kanacki
  • Expert Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 15
Hmmm I have look deeper into it.

Pardon the Pun. :laugh:

Kanacki
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate