Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(74 Viewing)  (74) Guest

TOPIC: Pro GS users let's talk

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15572

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
  • Thank you received: 1
I have an old Pro GS I bought from Dell many years ago. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the belt receiver. For starters a full battery is very important. Those nine volt are a big counterfeit item. I checked the voltage it was 8 volts and it doesn't work right. So I hot-wired things and put a voltage regulator and bigger battery set for 9.5 volts. I measured the output and found out when I turned the dial all the way it is on low power. I had been running it a little past the "on" click and that is near full power which distorts things. So now i run it a little above the lowest power. There's more. Let's talk.
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by MikeH.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15575

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Several years back I contacted Dell and told him the device was not working right. The control did not seem to be working right. Dell sent me a new one for free. Even when the control was turned quite a ways I could still pick up a gold ring. Instructions said 15 lbs. of nulling and i just thought something was wrong. Never did get it figured out until a few days ago when I measured there was a lot less power the more I turned the control. I realize some of it may be due to with how I hold the rods, etc. Anyway for me there is only a small portion at the end where i get the nulling. Again for me, when I walk past the signal line that means I have too much nulling. For a gold ring, I turn it up less than a quarter turn. On my dial that is about 9:00. Well, if nobody wants to talk about it, that's okay.

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15576

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Every now and then I get out two L-rods and remind myself how much I despise them. Two rods requires you to use both brain hemispheres. The left side is what I call the "skeptic" side. I call it multi-tasking and few people are good at that. All tests show this. And I highly recommend if your device runs electric power through the rods that you insulate them because with two rods the power runs right through your heart area. I put some electrician's black tape over the metal parts on the L-rod handles.

When I first started using two rods again the other day everything seemed balanced, the rods close at the same time. Then after a few hours I just lost all concentration which was replaced with frustration. I went back to one rad and it took me a day to get my senses back. I know some people say two rods are easier to judge how much interference by how far they close.

One rod with a solid handle is way more accurate for me. And it works better in windy conditions. Those swivel handle rods are like driving on ice--no steering or traction. Around here the swivel handle eliminates about half the available time because of wind. That's huge.

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15580

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Does anyone own an Omnitron Pro GS sold by Dell Winders? My instructions are dated 1998.

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15581

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 126
Hi Mike, I don't have one but Dell normally visits this site regularly. Unfortunately, he has had some health setbacks recently, so be patient and I'm sure he will be able to help you when he gets back up on line with us.

Tommy
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15582

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Thanks Tommy.

Just an update here. I got the two rods out again and this time I just did not look at them. I really think it disorients me to "look at the rod tips". I just look straight ahead.

Maybe it's just me but even with the control dial turned all the way I can pick up a gold ring test target. I must have misread the instructions because I thought that was supposed to be full weight cancelling. Now i think it is the lowest power boost setting, and anything much more than the lowest power boost I get a signal line ten to fifteen feet across. So I guess it is working way better than i ever imagined. This must depend on how much interference there is. And with no power on at all it still gives a wide signal line but I know there is some nulling because i measured some resistance between the rods. Of course with the rocker switch on it cancels out my ring right now. Anyway i was just hoping to hear from some other users. Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to get the fruit--take a chance. I bark but I don't bite that hard.

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15583

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Yeah, it just works a lot better without any power on--just with the rods plugged into the receiver. And if you want any boost, turn the dial all the way then add more boost if needed, but I sure don't need any and it's below freezing here. When i walk through the signal line to the target the rods close then open, then they make a quick half close, just a bump--at least for a target on the surface.

But the main thing I think helped me is to not look at the rods, just look straight ahead and don't peek--be Zen like. That was just killing me to watch the rod tips.

I don't know, maybe it's just this unit but I don't find any nulling with the control dial, it's just boost only, and full boost right at the "on" click. I'm sure there is some nulling without the power on. Of course the rocker switch has a lot of nulling. The other thing is I put electrician's black tape over the metal parts on the handles. You might try that to see if it helps. I think my body was absorbing the signal.

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15587

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
The transmitter on the Omnitron Pro GS runs at low power. I suppose you could put an amplifier on it or use something with more power if you are interested in experimenting.

I think you can adjust the amount of boost to your test target--that is add enough boost so the rods close or near so. SO i guess you can call that nulling.

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15591

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
I feel like I am losing my mind. No great loss as there isn't much left to lose. LOL

I went back and checked the receiver output again and now I get almost no difference no matter where the dial is set. What I did notice is when my hands are close to it the output increases. I don't know enough about electronics to figure it out and I just throw my hands in the air and not worry about it. Sorry for all the confusion.

I will say the best thing that came out of this for me is learning not to look at the rods.

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15599

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
Okay, it looks like the control is set up like a voltage divider. If you are familiar with that, the power level is high at both ends and lowest in the middle which is about at the five or six o'clock position. maybe I'm not losing my mind after all, or you make the bet. LOL

Pro GS users let's talk 2 years 7 months ago #15664

• MikeH
  • Senior Treasure Hunter
I am starting to conclude that my multi-meter is not operating correctly or the control is faulty (my original conclusion). I measured again and the power drops off the more i turn the dial. Fully turned is the lowest power. There is a little drop in the middle of the range, and that seems like the control is not working right. Maybe some day I'll get a new control for it.
Moderators: Salvor6, LobsterPirate