Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(180 Viewing)  (180) Guest

TOPIC: Lake Champlain Maritime Museum.....Vermont

Lake Champlain Maritime Museum.....Vermont 7 years 2 weeks ago #12384

• GMD52
  • Treasure Hobbyist
The LCMM, on the shores of Lake Champlain, located at Basin Harbor, houses one of the most extensive collections of the history of the Lake and shoreline. From 1609 when discovered and named by French explorer Samuel de Champlain, the Lake has been an important part of this countrys early development. Within years of discovery, the Lake soon became the major trade route of furs and essentials from the Dutch in NYC, to the English and Dutch in Albany, to the French in Montreal. The First major navel battles were fought on her at Plattsburgh and Cumberland Head. The home of the US Navy is in Whitehall, and the 1812 fleet of Com. McDonough was constructed less than 10 miles from my home in Vergennes VT.

The Museum has established several underwater archeological sites on shipwrecks that are open to sport divers. These sites all contain wrecks of one type or another.

You might even get a chance to sight the legendary Champ, a reported creature similar to her cousin in Loch Ness!

Directly in front of my home lies the deepest portion, 410 feet, and has yet to be explored. While UVM and Middlebury Collage have done studies on the Lake, deep water exploration has been very slow in developing, and opportunities are wide open. I for one would love to Know what lies in the abyss of the Lake.

The Lake is definitely a destination to be visited, and explored, and once you do, you'll know why it's considered the "Sixth Great Lake"
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Salvor6