Keyword
Welcome, Guest
(99 Viewing)  (99) Guest

TOPIC: Man finds 3.83-carat yellow diamond at the Crater of Diamonds

Man finds 3.83-carat yellow diamond at the Crater of Diamonds 8 years 5 months ago #5374

• wreckdiver
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 178
Man finds 3.83-carat yellow diamond at the Crater of Diamonds
This image is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.

ARKANSAS - On Monday, David Anderson of Murfreesboro discovered the 535th diamond found this year at the Crater of Diamonds State Park. His 3.83-carat pear-shaped, yellow diamond marks the fourth largest find for the year.

Park Interpreter Margi Jenks noted that David Anderson found his diamond in the East Drain section of the park's search area. A regular diamond digger at the park, Anderson found the diamond while washing dirt from a hole he dug that was located near holes dug by other park visitors. Jenks said, "It's a pale yellow, very shiny diamond about the size of dime. That shine is characteristic of diamonds found here at the Crater of Diamonds."

According to David Anderson, "Everyone else had moved away from that spot. Everyone missed it!" He continued, "It was in the first bucket of material I washed that morning, and I caught the diamond in my top screen." Anderson noted that he's found many diamonds at the park. "This is my sixth diamond weighing over one carat, but this one is the largest of all my diamond finds." Anderson credits hard work and his "passion for treasure hunting" as the reasons for his success at the park. "You wonder what's going to be in the next bucket. I'm still looking for an even bigger diamond."

Originally from Grand Rapids, Michigan, Anderson lives near the park in Murfreesboro now. He decided to name his 3.83-carat diamond the Wolverine Diamond after the Michigan Wolverines football team, his favorite team. "After finding the diamond Monday morning, I met a visitor from Michigan at the park who was also a Wolverine fan. The diamond's name just came naturally from our conversation," he said.

The search area at the Crater of Diamonds State Park is a 37 ½-acre plowed field, the eroded surface of the eighth largest diamond-bearing deposit in the world in surface area. It is the world's only diamond-producing site open to the public. On average, two diamonds are found each day at the park. The park's policy is finder-keepers. What park visitors find is theirs to keep. The park staff provides free identification and certification of diamond found at the park. Park interpretive programs and exhibits explain the site's geology and history and offer tips on recognizing diamonds in the rough.

Crater of Diamonds State Park is located two miles southeast of downtown Murfreesboro.

It is one of the 52 state parks administered by the State Parks Division of the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism.

For more information, visit craterofdiamondsstatepark.com.

Courtesy KATV
Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
“Treasure – If it’s out there, we’re going to find it!” (Tommy Vawter)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: Salvor6